Re: tweaking a win10 laptop for maximum performance

valiant8086

Hi.

Even 2gb runs fairly well if it's just mostly stock windows. I have disabled the swap file on my Quantom Access stick pc  because it only has 32 gb storage and I want every bit of that I can possibly have to be free and I have very few always on applications installed. Even to the point I uninstalled one drive in spite of the fact I have 1 tb of space in there.  So with no file syncing applications except Resilio sync with only two folders turned on, both of which are on my 128 gb sd card, it sits around 1.2 gb ram usage with NVDA running. Lowest I saw it go was 965 mb without Resilio running at all. That's pretty impressive, a definite improvement over most of the opperating systems that have come and gone ince Windows XP. So yes, I do have the swap file turned off even though I'm only going to be having around 700 mb free. The thing is, 2 gb is way better than 1gb, 4 gb is quite a bit better than 2 gb, 8 gb is better than 4 gb, but after that it doesn't make much difference. So if you have  a tablet or an elbraille or what ever, if it has 2 gb you'll be ok unless you're running inefficiently with an overactive antimalware application and too many hungry things on at once. But it's not just the ram that can be the problem, by the time ram is much of an issue if you have 8 gb ram already then you probably need a better processor or ssd storage. 32 gb ram is something I wouldn't even consider wanting even being the computer geek I am. I'd rather have 8 gb of ram and a bad ass processor than 32 gb ram and an average processor. Heck I'd probably even go for 4 gb of ram and the bad ass processor over 32 gb and an average processor, just depends. But yeah, if you want to upgrade, go to 8 or 16 but don't go all the way to 32 unless you think you really need it, because you'll most likely have bottlenecks elsewhere. Spend the extra money on more ssd capacity and a new battery or something.

Good luck with your upgrade! I just upgraded my Lenovo Yoga 2 pro to a 1 tb Samsung Evo 850 ssd, originally was a 512 gb Samsung Evo 840 ssd. I have 8 gb ram and have never felt that I was shortsided on that front The core i7 processor is given lower voltage when I'm running on battery power and is noticeably slower and there's nothing to do to fix it in power manager. I think there's a bios setting for it. All in all though this setup is pretty good.

One of the best things one can do really involves no hardware upgrade at all. If a computer is running bad it's probably just having to do too much work, solution is to either start uninstalling things or do a reformat and be more careful about what gets installed.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>
On 5/31/2017 12:43 AM, Tyler Wood wrote:

Hi,

As far as ssd goes, it all depends on the ssd size.

If I’m using an ssd that’s less than 64 gb I’ll change the swapfile since this is usually okay. Though do keep in mind that when you do this and your machine is running 4 gb or less of ram you might (key word is might) hurt performance. I gave it a try with a t100 with 2 gb of ram and it wasn’t quite up there, but if your swap file gets gigantic (I have, for some very odd reason on systems with 16 gb of ram seen it hit 32 gb, which is just utterly ridiculous...) I shrink it down a tad.

Also setting windows, in control panel>system>advanced system settings>performance to use best performance. In this modern day and age it doesn’t help a ton but every bit is better than none.