Re: tweaking a win10 laptop for maximum performance

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I have 4 Samsung SSD's. 1 950 Pro M2, 2 850 Pro's and 1 840 EVO. The olderst is 3yrs. old and no problems at all.

On 5/31/2017 1:20 PM, g melconian wrote:

I’m now impresses with Samsung  evo ssd , I had one go out in  my business. If I was wanting reliable ssd I would look at kingston and hitachi as well as sandisk for ssd then Samsung. This is another area where  Samsung is not doing well with quality control.   Just giving yoru fari warning about it.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of valiant8086
Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:37 AM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] tweaking a win10 laptop for maximum performance

Hi.

If he wants to upgrade, ram would be a good place to start, but only if he has  a badass processor to need it. I still haven't heard what processor it is, if I was upgrading the ram, I wouldn't upgrade it to more than 16 gb. 512 gb Samsung Evo 850 ssd drives are going for about 170 dollars and somewhat lower, 1 tb Samsung Evo 850's are about 330 dollars. They are compatible with the slots for 840 pro I think and 850 Evo apparently runs just as well and sometimes better than  850 pro. Remember that there are different types of drive slots in use right now, you need to know if your ssd needs to be a 2.5 inch or an MSata or  perhaps even an m.2 and, to further complicate matters, PCIE. Evo 840pro I think was only available in 2.5 inch or MSata though so that narrows it down some. Of course if you're paying someone else  to do all this, they should already be aware of those details though.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>

On 5/31/2017 11:31 AM, Tyler Wood wrote:

Hi,

Imho I’d leave the swapfile as is unless you find yourself running out of space.

Regardless of what you do, that thing has an ssd. It’s going to quite literally scream. Keep up on disk cleanup and you should be good. Also, not sure if you don’t know this but I wouldn’t defrag it since it’s an ssd.

Have fun with it.