toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
This was the hidden problem! I still had problems with IE which froze immediately when maximized both times I tried it. However, FF is playing nice, thank you J The only thing I cannot see in your message below is a link to indicate that you want to follow the topic. Does the ‘follow link’ only show up after the advanced preferences are selected and saved?
IE comes up already maximized for me- so, you are absolutely right that a blind user cannot detect that the yahoo groups site is not auto maximizing.
Your directions should be archived, seriously.
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Timothy via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2017 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Fine-Grained Control Over the Group Messages You Receive from Groups.io
I just realized that the interface changes depending on whether or not the window is maximized, i.e., the interface changes depending on screen dimensions. Let me revise Brian's message with the interface I see to see if it helps you or not.
Advanced Preferences for Your Group Subscription
Once you get to the main Groups.io webpage, http://groups.io, you will need to navigate to the "Log In" (two words) link and activate it. Once you've entered your username, which is the e-mail address you've used to subscribe to the group(s) you routinely read, and password, activate the "Log In" button and you will be taken to the "Your Subscriptions" page.
- If your browser window is not already maximized, do so now (keyboard shortcut is Alt+Space, then X or Windows+Up-arrow).
- If the page is restored or minimized, then at the top of the page you'll see a button labeled "Toggle navigation", followed by a link with a graphic labeled "groups.io". This version of the interface will not allow you to edit any of the subscription preferences as far as I can tell.
- If the page is maximized, then the top of the page should have a link with a graphic labeled "groups.io", followed by a link labeled "Your Groups".
- Use your screen reader's table navigation commands to move to the first table found on this page. The columns should read "Group", "# Members", "Latest Message", and "Delivery". Move to the row for which you wish to set up your advanced preferences, navigate over to the Delivery column, and activate the link found there. You will have to start back at this step for each group for which you wish to set up the advanced mail preferences.
- Just so you're aware these are on this page, there is a radio button cluster for the regular delivery options: All Messages, Full Featured Digest, Plain Digest, Daily Summary, Special Notices Only, No email. This is immediately followed by two checkboxes related to using a signature: Use signature for web posting and Use signature for e-mail posting. These are followed by the signature edit box, should you wish to set up a signature that goes on to all your messages if you check one of the previously mentioned checkboxes.
- Use your screen reader quick navigation command to find and activate the "Advanced Preferences" heading level 3 link.
- There are three major sections to the advanced preferences:
- Message Selection. There are two radio buttons: All Messages and Following Only. If the first is selected then every message sent to the group will be sent to you in the format you selected for e-mail delivery. If you select Following Only then the only messages you will receive are messages you've chosen to follow. There is a checkbox associated with "Following Only," "First Message Also." If this checkbox is checked it serves as a selective override such that the first message in any new topic is sent to you so that you can see it and elect to follow it with the link at the end of the message if you wish to keep monitoring this topic.
- Replies. There is a checkbox, "Auto follow replies," which will make any topic that you start yourself, or any topic in which you reply to a message, followed. This checkbox is generally only used if you have elected to use the "Following Only" feature for message selection.
- Max Attachment Size (only for groups that allow attachments). This is followed by a dropdown box that allows you to choose from four different maximum sizes for attachments to be delivered to you via e-mail. The default is unlimited size. If you're using an internet service with data caps you may wish to change this. If you choose the zero option it means that all attachments will be stripped before a message is sent to you.
- Find the "Save" button and activate it to save these settings.
As you can see, if you choose a setup where you have elected to get messages with the "Following Only" option combined with the "First message also" checkbox this will greatly decrease the flow of e-mail you receive while allowing you to decide for each topic whether you wish to follow it to receive further messages or not. If you do nothing then you will not receive any additional messages for that particular topic unless you hit the link to follow it at the end of the message or reply to it, if the "auto follow replies" option was checked.