Re: Random bug for low vision users: File Explorer and DPI in Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

Depending on your vision, if you still read the screen visually but
need larger print then it's actually really handy, and not overly hard
to get to - it's just a very random bug that I would never have pinned
down to that if someone else hadn't worked it out! It probably didn't
help that I'd been using Windows 10 at 175% DPI for ages on my old
Windows 10 PC without issue - it must have been something that crept
in at some point but didn't affect PCs which had already been set to
175% :)

--
22 Point

Web: http://www.22point.com.au
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/22Point
Twitter: https://twitter.com/22PointApps

Check out our first app, RapiTap! - Tap targets fast & avoid decoys:
Adrenaline pumping, Challenging, Accessible!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitap
Free trial: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitapfree

On 25 January 2016 at 08:42, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:
thank god I have never needed to change settings like this yet.

On 25/01/2016 12:24 a.m., Quentin Christensen wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just came across a random bug in Windows 10 which may affect some of
us with low vision.

If you go into display settings and set the "Change the size of text,
apps and other items" value to 175%, this will make everything in
Windows 10 a bit bigger and easier to see - well it has the side
effect of also stopping File Explorer from working at all - like I
said, random!

The solution then is to set the DPI (that "change the size of ...."
value) to another value, you can either set it down to 150% - I had to
do this, or you can go into the advanced display options (an old
control panel item which didn't work while file explorer was broken)
and from there you can set it anywhere up to 500%. I did do a bit
more investigation on the topic of DPI awhile ago, in Windows 7 and
while some of the steps are a little different, the theory is the
same: https://22point.wordpress.com/2014/08/13/resolution-vs-dpi/

Kind regards

Quentin.