Re: Narrator and Learning its Different Commands

Quentin Christensen

It's always tricky pinning down intermittent problems (like sometimes
it reads and sometimes it doesn't) but having several screen readers
in your arsenal is not a bad plan.

NVDA is the main one most would recommend and it's price tag (free but
you are encouraged and most welcome to donate to support development)
is a big point over many of the competitors.

Narrator though has improved in leaps and bounds, particularly if you
haven't tried it since Windows 7 or earlier. Now if you're a full
time screen reader user, I wouldn't necessarily throw away NVDA or
Jaws or whatever for it, it's not to that level, but it's definitely
come along a bit.

Some of the key commands to know for using Narrator:

- To Start Narrator, press: WINDOWS+ENTER.
- To start reading, press: CAPS LOCK+M
- To repeat the last speech, press: CAPS LOCK+V
- To read an item, press: CAPS LOCK+D
- To stop reading, press: CONTROL

- To increase the speech rate, press: CAPS LOCK+PLUS
- To decrease the speech rate, press: CAPS LOCK+MINUS

If you're interested in learning more on Narrator, I cover using it in
some detail in "Making Windows 10 Easy to See", available from:
http://www.22point.com.au/publications.html

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
22 Point

Web: http://www.22point.com.au
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/22Point
Twitter: https://twitter.com/22PointApps

Check out our first app, RapiTap! - Tap targets fast & avoid decoys:
Adrenaline pumping, Challenging, Accessible!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitap
Free trial: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.twentytwopoint.rapitapfree

On 5 March 2016 at 13:44, David Ouimet <whitewater2612@gmail.com> wrote:
heard on the different podcasts having multiple screenreaders is recommended
sometimes. Cause in some cases each is better in different cases. Was in the
windows10 mail app & sometimes caps m worked to read the body of the message
and caps d sometimes did also.

David