Preliminary screen reader advisories for Version 2004 (build 19041) #WinTenOld #ADVISORY
Part of the reason why there hasn’t been Windows 10 development briefing until now was due to virtually no activity with Version 2004, and it is a bit early to talk about what fast ring Insiders are using.
The following is a preliminary screen reader compatibility advisory for upcoming Version 2004 (build 19041):
Windows 10 Version 2004 is very close at hand. Key highlights include ability to reset from fresh copy on the cloud, improved GPU tracking in Task Manager, new Cortana experience, WSL 2, and many other changes. There has been improvements in Narrator, including supporting Chromium-based browsers.
- Cloud reset: when you perform a reset, you can download a fresh copy of Windows system files from the cloud rather than using files from local installations.
- Emphasis on Microsoft Account during clean install.
- Track more GPU data in Task Manager.
- New conversational Cortana experience, including Cortana window staying open all the time when launched.
- Windows Subsystem for Linux version 2, completely different mechanism than version 1 with virtualization playing a more prominent role.
- Modern input method experience for Chinese and Japanese.
- Support for Bluetooth 5 and Wi-Fi 6 (IEEE 802.11ax).
- Various Narrator improvements.
Screen reader compatibility: any screen reader compatible with Version 1903 (May 2019 Update/build 18362) should work, although for best experience, more recent versions should be used. IN particular, releases supporting Chromium-based Edge 79 or later are recommended. The following are recommended screen reader releases:
- Narrator: compatible
- JAWS: 2018 or later (JAWS 2020 February 2020 update recommended)
- NVDA: 2019.3 or later
- Any screen reader compatible with at least Version 1903 along with Chromium Edge
Things to note:
- Microsoft is looking into compatibility issues with Edge 79 and later.
- February 2020 release of JAWS 2020 is highly recommended due to initial support for Edge 79 and later.
- Emoji picker (Windows+Period) may not work well.
- Version 2019.3 or later should be used as it supports Edge 79 and Version 2004 changes (be sure add-ons are compatible).
For other screen readers, please contact vendors regarding plans for Version 2004 support.
Note: the above advisory will change based on updated feedback from vendors and users.