Re: JAWS support for Windows

valiant8086

Hi.

Very few computers that shipped with Windows 7 are unable to run Windows 10, so maybe it would just be time to upgrade that, and it might be a free upgrade, though the waters are kind of muddy about that. I've done it successfully without having to activate, but I'm not entirely sure whether when I did might have been a special case or not. Mostly I'm wondering what FS is dropping that means JAWS can't run on Win7 anymore. If they're ditching the old display mirroring technology that provides access for things for me now on Windows 11 that no other screen reader manages to do, I'll be pretty bothered. Hopefully it's all good news for the rest of us though.

On 7/18/2021 8:50 AM, Mike B. wrote:

Yes Immigrant, that was exactly the case, but like I stated in another post I sure would be mad if I only had Windows 7 computers and already paid for J2022 and couldn't afford a Windows 10 or 11 computer.  Thank you very much for the explanation.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 10:00 PM
Subject: [winaccess] JAWS support for Windows

I remember when FS, I think it was JAWS 16, announced that the JAWS version about to be released would not have any support for Windows XP. XP at that time was no longer supported by Microsoft. I think the JAWS version in question simply did not install on XP computers, the installer generated an error. Not totally sure on that, but this could be the scenario.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 10:22 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: Re: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

That's understandable, but stating that Windows 7 as a whole can't be used with J2022. sounded like a part of the story is missing, and stopping it for only 32 bit versions of Windows 7 users sounds more like it.

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 7:07 PM

Subject: Re: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

They probably won't do anything overt to stop Windows 7 users from using JAWS, but if they have a 32-bit version of Windows, JAWS 2022 isn't going to work because, JAWS 2022 will only support 64-bit installations. And Windows is going to keep evolving to the point that at some point, it won't be compatible with Windows 7.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io [mailto:winaccess@winaccess.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:40 PM

And, jus how are they going to stop Windows 7 users from using Jaws2022?  I for one, would surely like to know where you got this.

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:40 PM

And 2022 of jaws will no longer support windows 7.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:35 PM

Hi,

Although it takes time, Vispero has shown willingness to keep up with Windows 10 changes more quickly in recent releases, and I expect JAWS 2022 to include changes to support Windows 11. As Windows 11 is a strictly 64-bit operating system, only 64-bit version of JAWS can be supported – you can’t really install 32-bit JAWS due to it using components that are matched to the machine architecture i.e. 64-bit JAWS requires 64-bit operating systems. I’ll talk about what works and doesn’t work with JAWS under Windows 11 (at this time) in a future thread.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jordan Gallacher
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 4:11 PM

I second that.  Love FS here as well.

Jordan

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:54 PM

Not true at all, love fs.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:46 PM

Yes, I cannot imagine not using nvda! The great people in the nvda community, have kept nvda up to date with the latest versions and builds of windows! It takes Freedom Scientific a year or two to get Jaws working with the latest windows, now Windows 11, to work! I cannot imagine how long it will take for Freedom Scientific to get Jaws working well with Windows 11 lol! Free versus $1,000! Wow, nvda is a no-brainer to me, and I can do more with mvda then I can with jaws lol! It is such a blessing to have this community, I will never forget when someone gave me nvda on a USB stick in 2006 I believe! I have used nvda almost exclusive for 5 years!

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021, 1:36 PM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

AS an NVDA user and someone who has never used JAWS, the fact that such a simple command as alt+tab cannot be done easily with JAWS is pretty scary. This is another reason I will never use it. Thank god for NVDA.

Janet

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: July 16, 2021 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

No, I ddi change that, no go.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

There was some setting in Windows that controls what alt+tab does. I can't recall where it is right now. This could be your issue.

On 7/16/2021 10:05 PM, Bill Powers wrote:

Joseph,

I’ve been having Alt-Tab issues since 21H1 but can’t quite put my finger on describing the problem. It just seems like the sequencing is not working the way I’ve expected so something seems broken.

BP

Join winaccess@winaccess.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.