Re: Surprise log-in issue

You definitely don't have Windows 11 because it won't be released until October or around that time and even then whether you get it or not depends on your computer. I just read an article where somebody from Microsoft apparently confirmed that Microsoft will stick to its guns with respect to the minimum requirements of at least an Intel 8th generation CPU or a AMD Ryzen 2000 series as well as TPM 2.0 and SecureBoot enabled. The current exemption for people to beta test Windows 11 on computers which won't meet these criteria will not be carried forward because Microsoft wants Windows 11 to be a very good and also secure experience and they say that they could not guaranty this with anything below these specifications.

Not sure if you have an iPhone, but I find that using the short text channel in the Seeing AI App works great for reading your computer screen. I often use that when there is a Windows update where it says to not turn off your device and give the percentage of the install, Seeing AI always reads this perfectly and if it didn't read something I would simply use Aira and ask a sighted agent to look at the screen for me or you could even call Microsoft Accessibility using the Be My Eyes app.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill Powers
Sent: Sunday, August 1, 2021 3:03 AM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: [WinAccess] Surprise log-in issue

Hi All,

I just had a strange log-on issue when I turned on my computer about half an hour ago and instead of the normal screen I get in which I have to put in my PIN, I was greeted with a graphical screen with no way to enlarge it and no way to get sound. I tried to make sense of the screen which seemed like it was trying to get me to make choices but not much luck. I could make out at one point one of the pages I clicked through mentioned Microsoft 365 making your device run better, which I already have, clicked through it and eventually must have completed whatever this was so I could get to the desktop and then have speech and large print. I noticed the same thing earlier today on another computer I was working on with the same scenario. Would this have been because the computer downloaded and installed an update for which I was not asked? I guess I will have to check a bit later and see what version I’m now at then, I would think still Windows 10 since I have heard 11 is very different.

It sure would be nice if these options were readable in large print and/or speech. Or else how do we know what we’re opting for?

Thanks for any info.

BP