Re: problem with New computer

Chris

You have to switch to password on the login screen first, they should be a button to do so

Sent: 17 September 2021 22:32
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] problem with New computer

I just tried this and as soon as I put in my password for my Microsoft account and press enter I get the message "Provide a PIN".

The point is that if you set up a PIN you don't have to press enter, if you set up a 6-digit PIN then as soon as you type the sixth digit it logs you in so I'm not sure how this should work if your password is, for example, 8 characters, then as soon as you come to character 6 it would try to log you in. Anyways, if it works for you then great, it certainly does not work for me, but I prefer a PIN so I don't really care if I can log in with my password or not.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via groups.io
Sent: September 17, 2021 1:04 PM

You can  Use either a password or pin

Sent: 17 September 2021 20:47

He is using his Microsoft account sign in info, so if he changes to the pin, can he use either or will that change his signin information when he goes to the Microsoft store or other Microsoft places, including Office,  where he needs to sign in?

Vicki

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, September 17, 2021 12:30 PM

Incorrect, you can use both

Sent: 17 September 2021 20:16

If you set up a PIN that is what you have to use to sign in, you can no longer  use the password.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via groups.io
Sent: September 17, 2021 3:38 AM

To stop it from going back to the login screen go to  settings > accounts > sign in options > require sign in when you have been away and set it to never

Make sure narrator is set to come on at login , there is also ease of access options on the login screen if you need them to turn on narrator , so if you tab around you should find them and narrator will speak when you open the menu

And finally you could just set up a pin but you dont have to use it if you dont want to , but it will get rid of the reminder

Sent: 17 September 2021 11:20
To: Windows Access
Subject: [WinAccess] problem with New computer

Hi,

I am having a few problems with a new Windows 10 desktop computer. It is a Dell computer, if that makes a difference.

This is my husband's computer and I am helping him set it up. Everything in the initial setup went fine, but now some strange issues are popping up, at least strange for me. Here are the issues I need help with so far:

1. It had a screen saver which he can take or leave, but it's there for now. Whenever it comes on, I can press any key to turn it off, but as soon as I do, I need to sign in all over again. This is annoying, so I need to either turn off the screen saver or stop it from going to the login screen each time it's turned off.

2. I have Narrator running, but for some reason, when that screen reader goes back to the login screen, Narrator is no longer working, so if my husband is gone, I'm stuck and the shortcut key for Narrator will not bring it back up. Why won't Narrator keep running at login even though I set it to do just that?

3. As soon as I log in, it asks me if I want to set up a pin, which I don't and I can't stop this notification from popping up. It's a real pain to get out of that window, so I need the pop up to go away for good. At that point, Narrator is still not running. Eventually, everything goes away, and there I am with a blank screen and no speech. Now my husband and I are both stuck, no speech and no screen!

I think that's it for now, but I have a feeling there is more to come!

Thank you.

Vicki

Join winaccess@winaccess.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.