Re: Looking to purchase a new laptop

Hi,

Narrator, JAWS, and NVDA does support touch features (my own ThinkPad is equipped with a touchscreen as I needed this feature for one of my NVDA add-ons).

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shawn Bever
Sent: Sunday, October 10, 2021 2:21 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] Looking to purchase a new laptop

Chip generation is definitely important, I had intended to mention that at least a 10th generation Intel cpu would be preferable when considering Intel processors. Personally I'm with you in preferring AMD processors. I'll likely be buying a new laptop in the next few months and plan to get something with a Ryzen 5000 series (or newer if available) processor, in the medium to upper performance level.

One reason I've been interested in a touch screen is that I thought it might be able to provide some context in terms of the visual layout of user interfaces and web pages, aspects that are essentially lost when using a screen reader. This assumes, of course, that the touch screen on a PC functions like one on a smart phone by voicing what is under your finger.

Shawn Bever

Personally I can't do without a numpad, but that partly has to do with the fact that when I became blind I also lost the index and middle fingers on each hand and pressing certain key combinations involving many modifier keys aren't possible for me. On the other hand I am so used to using Jaws with the numpad after having done so for 32 years that I am not very interested in trying to relearn and rewire all that muscle memory.

I am actually considering a smaller Lenovo laptop without a numpad, but then I usually have my laptop in my home office and I'll work elsewhere with a wireless keyboard and headset.

My current Asus Zenbook has a 4K Touch Screen and I bought it in 2016 thinking it might nice to use the touch screen, but the fact is that I never do.

Whether you buy an I5 or I7 computer is not all that relevant, I think it's more important what generation of processor you buy and now with the next generation of Intel and AMD processors probably around the corner I would recommend people look at 11th Generation Intel chips and the AMD Ryzen 5000 series chips which in most tests I read about kick Intel's butt.

I am really looking for a laptop with a medium to high-end Ryzen 5000 processor and while Lenovo has a few, they definitely still have a lot more with Intel 10th and 11th Generation processors and if you wanted to spend a little less that is where I would go, either an Intel 10th Generation or an AMD Ryzen 4000 series processor.