Free upgrade offer for assistive tech users: the page is live #a11y #msftenable

Hi,

The info for those using assistive tech and wishing to upgrade is now available:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I'm thrilled to see they've done this.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute, is there?!

I wonder how many people will try to figure out what it is that Microsoft queries to determine you're an AT user in order to qualify that don't actually use AT.   There's always a contingent that will do this just for giggles, even though they could have upgraded through 11:59 PM tonight without doing so.

--
Brian

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Marek Durila

It will interested me, how they will check that people should use assistive technologies, this should be problem if generall will find this article that who didn§t updated now will do that he is using assistive technologies.

Dne 29.7.2016 v 20:24 Joseph Lee napsal(a):

Hi,

The info for those using assistive tech and wishing to upgrade is now available:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Shaun O'Connor

Microsoft can"look inside" your system during the update/upgrade process, I would guess that Microsoft have a list of"approved" assistive technology and if your software is in the whitelist, hey presto no problem , otherwise the updater will probably spit out an error message of some sort or just refuse to update your computer.

On 30/07/2016 04:10, Marek Durila wrote:

It will interested me, how they will check that people should use assistive technologies, this should be problem if generall will find this article that who didn§t updated now will do that he is using assistive technologies.

Dne 29.7.2016 v 20:24 Joseph Lee napsal(a):

Hi,

The info for those using assistive tech and wishing to upgrade is now available:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

gary melconian <gmelconian619@...>

How wil it know. Anyone could install a demo of jaws, and window eyes  as well as demos of zoomtext and magic and qualify to get the upgrade to windows 10.

Microsoft can"look inside" your system during the update/upgrade process, I would guess that Microsoft have a list of"approved" assistive technology and if your software is in the whitelist, hey presto no problem , otherwise the updater will probably spit out an error message of some sort or just refuse to update your computer.

On 30/07/2016 04:10, Marek Durila wrote:

It will interested me, how they will check that people should use assistive technologies, this should be problem if generall will find this article that who didn§t updated now will do that he is using assistive technologies.

Dne 29.7.2016 v 20:24 Joseph Lee napsal(a):

Hi,

The info for those using assistive tech and wishing to upgrade is now available:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Since everyone is keen to guess then I'll put my theory forward and its absolutely simple, if software such as Jarte and Goldwave can identify that a Screen Reader is running then I reckon the upgrade process of Windows could do the same thing and take the appropriate actions.

On 30/07/2016 3:31 PM, Shaun O'Connor wrote:

Microsoft can"look inside" your system during the update/upgrade process, I would guess that Microsoft have a list of"approved" assistive technology and if your software is in the whitelist, hey presto no problem , otherwise the updater will probably spit out an error message of some sort or just refuse to update your computer.

On 30/07/2016 04:10, Marek Durila wrote:

It will interested me, how they will check that people should use assistive technologies, this should be problem if generall will find this article that who didn§t updated now will do that he is using assistive technologies.

Dne 29.7.2016 v 20:24 Joseph Lee napsal(a):

Hi,

The info for those using assistive tech and wishing to upgrade is now available:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Why would anyone else bother installing a Screen Reader just to get a free Windows 10 upgrade, sounds more like comspiracy theory to me.

On 30/07/2016 3:34 PM, g melconian wrote:

[...]

a number of people actually used the insider program to get round the limitations imposed by Microsoft on which operating systems qualified for the free update/upgrade. that earned a few people a free  licenced copy of windows 10 pro.

however that loophole was plugged pretty quickly after MS realised what was going on. the same scenario could very well repeat itself for the free upgrade extention for those using assistive technology. Microsoft will fine tune their delivery systems to detect speculative instalation of software  so for example lets suppose I have windows 7, I havent upgraded yet but suddenly realise "oh my googness time is running out" so, I quickly install some assistive tech in hopes of extending the free upgrade. however unbenownst to me Microsoft have logged the install their end and have noticed the date on which the assistive tech was installed. usng their clever algorithms they decide this is a speculative installation and decide to dissalow the extention. the downside of this approach is that a person who genuinely has a need for assistive tech , and who by sheer coincidence installed that technology close to the end of the general free upgrade period, risks being penalized., Microsoft will have to belance their responses very carefully here, they have already got themselves in a legal quagmire with regards to their extensive data collection which is deeply embedded in the W10 operating system.( however that latter remard is admittedly a little off topic but could be tangentially relavent).

OK rant over...

On 30/07/2016 07:41, Dane Trethowan wrote:

[...]

I doubt this.

First of all, God dang! would that be a breech of privacy!  I don't mind anonymous info being collected, per sé, but I don't want them knowing what software I'm necessarily running.  I'd pay for Win 10 before allowing them to see that.  Maybe I'm just weird, but...

Here's the other thing though.  Look on that page.  There's an FAQ section, and if you look under the question that says something to the effect of what A.T is supported, you'll see that they say, if you expand the answer to that question, that any A.T is eligible, regardless.

So, this tells me, that MS can't possibly have every piecve of A.T that exists in their database.  They probably have a huge amount, yes, I'll grant you that, but everything?  I doubt it seriously.  Surely, there has to be a way that they could detect without querying the specifics.

I almost wonder if maybe there is a dll or maybe some system file that gets placed in your Windows directory, or maybe modified in such a way, that if they look at that one file, or whatever, it would indicate that A.T was being used.  I'd just think that querying for your specific A.T would not be very wise on their part.  A lot of people would surely get very bent out of shape with that, as if they're looking at that, then God knows what else they'd try to look for.

Who knows.  Maybe they're just going to do this on a trust basis.  Again, it's unlikely? but anything's possible, I reckon.

Chris.

Garry makes a very valid point.  Honestly, if they query things, then that has me just a leetle bit unsettled.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
[...]

That's what I'd hope.  I'd really hope it wouldn't call home with the specifics.  I don't want MS muckin through my hard drive looking at what I've got installed.  That's really none of their bee's wax.  I'm not bent out of shape about it, so don't think I am.  I don't even know that's what they'd do to start with, so how can! I fairly blame them.  I can't, nor will.

I'm only saying, if! that is what they'd do, is get the specifics somehow, then, I'm sorry, but that's not cool.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
[...]

Dane,

You would be surprised. - Trust me.

There are people out there that are really that dishonest.  I agree with you, it wouldn't be right, nor likely for people to do, but I definitely, this day in age wouldn't put it past people to try.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
[...]

No Shawn, I agree with you.  It's ok.  You make some very valid points.  NO hard feelings at all, bro.

Chris.

---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...

Microsoft can"look inside" your system during the update/upgrade process, I would guess that Microsoft have a list of"approved" assistive technology and if your software is in the whitelist, hey presto no problem , otherwise the updater will probably spit out an error message of some sort or just refuse to update your computer.

On 30/07/2016 04:10, Marek Durila wrote:

It will interested me, how they will check that people should use assistive technologies, this should be problem if generall will find this article that who didn§t updated now will do that he is using assistive technologies.

Dne 29.7.2016 v 20:24 Joseph Lee napsal(a):

Hi,

The info for those using assistive tech and wishing to upgrade is now available:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Roger Stewart

What if you were running a portable install of nvda? Nothing gets put on your system in that case!

:-)

Roger

[...]

Dane Trethowan asked, rhetorically, "Why would anyone else bother installing a Screen Reader just to get a free Windows 10 upgrade?"

The idea has crossed my mind only because the *^%$* Upgrade process would simply not work on one of my laptops yesterday.  I intentionally waited to upgrade one desktop and one laptop in my household until the very end, while two other laptops went from Win8.1 to Win10 months ago.

I've actually had NVDA on my desktop machine for a very long time, but I don't think it's installed on that other laptop because I didn't start working with it in earnest until well after that one was effectively retired except for occasional use.  I wonder if we'll see some sort of grace period announced for those like me who were trying to upgrade, and actively in the process, but for whom it simply wouldn't complete yesterday for some reason.  My desktop was going from Win7 Ultimate 32-bit to Win10 Pro 32-bit while the laptop was Windows 7 Home 64-bit, and I imagine the demand on the servers for 64-bit downloads yesterday far outstripped that for 32-bit.

--
Brian

      ~ Anton Chekhov

O, K, but not everyone's doing that, for one thing.  For another, that's not to say they couldn't query all drives on your system, not just! your C drive.  Admittedly, I'm probably now being super over over paranoid, which normally, I'm not that way, trust me.  If anything, I'm usually a complete 1 80, but in this case, I cannot help but wonder.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
[...]

Anyone who intends to use Windows 10 needs to understand that Microsoft will know precisely what software is running on the system if they feel they need to know it to keep the system stable.  Part of the upgrade process is "archiving" away applications that were not updated such that they were explicitly identifiable by Microsoft as Windows 10 compatible.  On my desktop upgrade they archived CCleaner, CPUID-Z, and one other program.  These programs are, indeed, runnable under Windows 10 but their developers did not do whatever it was that Microsoft indicated needed to be done so that Windows 10 would know for certain that they are compatible.

None of this is, by any indication, collected at the personally identifiable level.

Virtually any contemporary OS you can name, including Linux, includes system health telemetry that includes installed and running program information in an effort to identify why certain crashes may be happening.  Unless you install some third-party utility that cuts off all telemetry, which isn't in anyone's best interest since the data is being collected without personally identifiable information, you will be sharing this kind of information with the developer/maintainer of your OS.  This sort of telemetry, on a more limited and less automatic basis, has been in Windows itself for a very long time now.  The only thing different about Windows 10 is that it's far more automatic and you can't turn it entirely off, though you can select how extensive a data set is sent, via Windows own built-in settings.

One of the things you're asked about during Windows 10 setup, if you don't elect to use express settings, is the degree of system health telemetry you wish to allow.

--
Brian

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Kevin Cussick

most sighted users hate any at so I doubt this will be an issue.

[...]

O, K.  I'm perfectly fine with this, jsut so's long as they don't get any personal info about myself, or my personal private files, as there are some things on my system that are extremely confidential.  That's really all I'm at liberty right now to say, but if it got in the wrong hands, it would be a nightmare come true, let's just put it that way.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.
Training Instructor.

clgilland07@...
[...]

Christopher,

            Then make certain that you also turn OneDrive OFF as one of the first things after your upgrade (or don't turn it on - it seems to be on by default in Windows Home versions and off by default in Windows Pro Versions).  I also tell everyone to go through each and every one of the Privacy settings and tweak things to suit your own desires.  I have the vast majority of stuff turned off, but not all.  Also go into the Cortana settings and turn off "Get to Know Me" if it's on and you don't want to actually use the Cortana personal digital assistant (PDA) feature.  I also turn off "Include web results" in the Cortana settings because even if you've turned off the PDA the Cortana search function will include web results.  When I'm using what used to be called Windows Search, now known as Cortana Search, all I want it to search is my computer itself.  If I want something from the web I'll get into my web browser and use a web search engine of my choosing, not Bing, to which Cortana is now wed and cannot be divorced.

            Not that I think it would matter anyway were you to put confidential data on OneDrive, as lots of confidential information is stored "in the cloud" and any cloud service I know of, including OneDrive, has pretty strong security surrounding it.  Nothing's "unhackable" though.  If you read the Microsoft Services Agreement it makes clear that Microsoft does have access to the data you share using Cloud services, which should be obvious, since you can't store something on someone's servers somewhere without that being the case.  I don't think it's in Microsoft's business interests to be data mining this information because it creates liability issues for them that they'd rather not have.

--
Brian

      ~ Anton Chekhov