Meet Surface Studio all-in-one, redesigned Surface Book, 3-D world coming to life, all powered by Windows 10 Creators Update #WinTenOld

Hi all,

Important notice for new people: we use hashtags in subject lines to help people organize their emails better.

A quick snapshot from today’s Windows 10 and Surface event are as follows:

Windows 10:

·         The next version is unveiled as Windows 10 Creators Update, scheduled for early 2017 (hence the new hashtag).

·         3-D comes to life in various apps, including Paint, PowerPoint and Microsoft Edge.

·         Ability to pin favorite contacts via My People bar.

·         Broadcast the gameplay via Game Bar/Xbox Live, as well as create custom tournaments.

·         More affordable virtual reality (VR) headsets from various companies (as low as $299).

·         Note: other Creators Update (Redstone 2) notes will be posted to this forum soon.

Surface devices:

·         Surface Book: Redesigned the high-end version.

·         Surface Studio, a 28-inch all-in-one introduced.

·         A new type of input device (resembling a circular dial) named Surface Dial introduced.

P.S. At the start of the presentation, Narrator and other accessibility tools were discussed in a video, including a segment featuring our own Kelly Ford (a member of this forum and the senior program manager at Microsoft).

With that, let the discussions begin.

Ron Kolesar

Hi Joe.
Could you give more detail description on the Surface Dial input device?
Would it have say force feedback and or shock feedback for gaming and other situations?
I am also helping a friend out to find a programming language that is blind friendly and easy to learn to design a hand to ear flight simulator.
Thanks Ron.

[...]

May I ask for assistance from Brian V and others who can see the screen? Thanks.

[...]

Devin Prater

Wow, I can't wait to see what kind of VR stuff comes out.

On 10/26/2016 1:31 PM, Ron Kolesar wrote:
[...]

Quentin Christensen

Visually, the surface dial is round (about 2.5 inches / 6-7cm diameter at a guess) and about an inch or a few cm high.  It can sit either on the desk or on a touch screen - obviously, Microsoft demoed it with the new surface studio but it also works on the touch screen with other devices like the surface pro 3 / 4 and surface book (not sure about other brands), or if it works without a touch screen.  It wasn't immediately clear how you decide what you are adjusting with it, but essentially you can control everything from brightness and volume to rotating 3d models, and changing colours in paint and presumably more utilitarian tasks as well.

The surface studio is a 28-inch touchscreen, all in one PC - the screen also swivels so you can have it upright like a computer monitor, or laying almost flat to use like a tablet.  A quick look at Microsoft shows pricing for it between about $2.5k and $4k - similar to the surface book.

Regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 5:31 AM, Ron Kolesar <kolesar16417@...> wrote:
[...]

Training Material Developer

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org
Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi Quentin,

Ah I see (reading some developer documentation about this device).