nvda MODIFIER KEY

Kevin

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can’t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I’m thinging it’s set for the insert key.  How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don’t want to subscribe just for one question.

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Hi,
Go to %Appdata%\NVDA
Using Notepad, open the file nvda.ini
Now you want to pay attention, because you are dealing with NVDA settings file.
Change this, and only this, line:
?????????????? showWelcomeDialogAtStartup = False
From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

Kevin

I may be stupid, but I have no idea what your saying!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Now you want to pay attention, because you are dealing with NVDA settings file.
Change this, and only this, line:
?????????????? showWelcomeDialogAtStartup = False
From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

Oh, my bad.
Maybe I've written it in a hurry.
Do the following
Open the run dialog (win+R).
Type %appdata%.
When you have it open, search for the NVDA folder and open it.
Being there search for the nvda.ini file.
Activate the Context Menu and, being there, search for and activate "open with".
Within "open with", select Notepad.
If you've followed correctly all the steps below, now you should have the nvda.ini open on Notepad.
Now, search for this line:

??????? showWelcomeDialogAtStartup = False
And change this, and only this, line, from "False" to "True".

That's it :)

P.S.: I'm having some codification troubles, so I don't know if the pasted line will appear as it should. I hope so!
Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 28/04/2019 00:04, Kevin disse:

I may be stupid, but I have no idea what your saying!

?

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

?

Now you want to pay attention, because you are dealing with NVDA settings file.
Change this, and only this, line:
?????????????? showWelcomeDialogAtStartup = False
From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

?

?

Timothy

You can access the NVDA menu by going to the notification area (Windows+B). If you do not see the NVDA icon there, then press Space or Enter on the Notification Chevron to show the hidden icons. Once you've found the NVDA icon, either press Applications or Shift+F10, and the NVDA menu will pop up. If you have an Insert key, then you can press Insert+N to open the NVDA menu. Once there, press P for Preferences, then S for Settings, and finally press K in the Categories list to get to Keyboard. Or, you can simply press Control+Insert+K to get directly to the keyboard settings.

Timothy

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can’t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I’m thinging it’s set for the insert key.  How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don’t want to subscribe just for one question.

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Kevin

Thank you!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

[...]

That’s ok we are all in a hurry!

I’ll try that!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Now you want to pay attention, because you are dealing with NVDA settings file.
Change this, and only this, line:
?????????????? showWelcomeDialogAtStartup = False
From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

?

?

That's much easier than what what I've described.?? I don't know why I didn't think of it :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 28/04/2019 00:25, Kevin disse:

Thank you!

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

[...]

Cuz you’re a complex person!

[...]

For some reason that doesn’t work, maybe I can’t understand the NVDA voice I think it’s Microsoft david

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Now you want to pay attention, because you are dealing with NVDA settings file.
Change this, and only this, line:
?????????????? showWelcomeDialogAtStartup = False
From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

?

?

Kevin

It’s hopeless I can’t do this

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

[...]

I think the default voice of NVDA is eSpeak or something like that and even though I started using computers in the era of hardware synthesizers in 1989 and started out with the Accent synthesizer and Jaws, I have a really hard time being efficient with the NVDA voice. Of course I have only played around with NVDA from time to time so I can’t really say I ever gave it time to become familiar. But nonetheless it’s a pretty horrible voice and definitely far worse than David.

For some reason that doesn’t work, maybe I can’t understand the NVDA voice I think it’s Microsoft david

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Now you want to pay attention, because you are dealing with NVDA settings file.
Change this, and only this, line:
?????????????? showWelcomeDialogAtStartup = False
From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

?

?

Kevin

I’m using v 19.1

They removed espeak and just are now using Microsoft SAPI5

[...]

From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

?

?

OK, goes to show how up to date I am with NVDA, but getting rid of eSpeak in my opinion is only a good thing.

[...]

From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:

I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?

I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.

??

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

??

?

?

Ann Byrne

I have NVDA 19.1, and espeak is still an available choice. At

<https://facebook.com/coolbutpsycho>Follow or add me on Facebook
Em 28/04/2019 00:04, Kevin disse:
I may be stupid, but I have no idea what your saying!
?
E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee
?
Now you want to pay attention, because you are dealing with NVDA settings file.
Change this, and only this, line:
?????????????? showWelcomeDialogAtStartup = False
From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio
AKA Starboy
?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.
<https://facebook.com/coolbutpsycho>Follow or add me on Facebook
Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:
I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?
I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.
??
E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee
??

?
?

Ann Byrne

insert-ctrl-s changes synthesizer; insert-control-v changes the voice.

06:21 PM 4/28/2019, you wrote:
[...]

From "False" to "True".

That will do the trick.

Hth

Cheers,
Marcio
AKA Starboy
?

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.
<https://facebook.com/coolbutpsycho>Follow or add me on Facebook
Em 27/04/2019 23:38, Kevin disse:
I installed NVDA on a HP netbook and I can???t go into the NVDA settings, NVDA never gave me a choice to select the caps lock as the NVDA modifier key so I???m thinging it???s set for the insert key.?? How can I get into my preferences?
I know there is a NVDA email ist but I don???t want to subscribe just for one question.
??
E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee
??

?
?

Kevin

Not on mine girl!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

06:21 PM 4/28/2019, you wrote:

>OK, goes to show how up to date I am with NVDA,

>but getting rid of eSpeak in my opinion is only a good thing.

Kevin

My HP  netbook doesn’t have an insert key, but when it installed I think by default insert was selected!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

At 06:47 PM 4/28/2019, you wrote:

>I have NVDA 19.1, and espeak is still an available choice.  At

>06:21 PM 4/28/2019, you wrote:

>>OK, goes to show how up to date I am with NVDA,

>>but getting rid of eSpeak in my opinion is only a good thing.

Then all you would have to do is hook up a USB keyboard with a number pad.

At 06:47 PM 4/28/2019, you wrote:

>I have NVDA 19.1, and espeak is still an available choice.  At

>06:21 PM 4/28/2019, you wrote:

>>OK, goes to show how up to date I am with NVDA,

>>but getting rid of eSpeak in my opinion is only a good thing.

David Moore

I have just a USB Number pad LOL!

I bought mine at Best Buy for $5.00!

David Moore