How to get windows to allow a non-windows app to be installed on my Windows10 PC

James Robinson

Hello!

Today, after getting my computer back from the hospital, I ran a JAWS update
which maybe broke the JAWS installation. I decided to try to totally
reinstall JAWS; however, when I clicked on the JAWS installer, windows keeps
saying something about this not being a recognized windows app and keeps
telling me to get apps from the windows app store; I looked for a checkbox
or link to install the program anyway, but I can't find one; this use to pop
up sometimes during this kind of question from windows, but now it merely
tells me about some kind of app setting options; and this is so annoying so
can someone tell me how to get pass this thing. This rarely happened prior
to my PC going to the PC Hospital, so something must have been checked in
windows app settings or somewhere, but I can find it. How do I remedy this
situation and run my various install programs as needed?

James Robinsonn

If, on the installation window, you have a "more options" link, click it. After it you should be able to see the "run anyway" button.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Em 07/05/2019 07:50, James Robinson disse:

[...]

Ann Byrne

I settings (Windows+i) go press enter on apps. The first choice is "apps and features". Press enter on that. Tab once and it says something like "choose where you get apps from" with some radio buttons. This is a permanent change, thank goodness!

Good luck!

Mike B.

Try the following:
To change my app download and installation options  to something other than the Microsoft Store do the following:
1. Windows + I, for settings.
2. Navigate to, Apps, and press enter.
3. The first folder in the list is, Apps and Features, press enter on this, and tab 1 time to the options combobox.  Press, Alt + down arrow, to open the
combobox, arrow up / down to, Turn off app recommendations, is the option you want and press enter.  Alt + F4 to save and close.

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 3:58 AM
Subject: Re: [win10] How to get windows to allow a non-windows app to be installed on my Windows10 PC

[...]

And as a little addition to this and given that the 2019 spring update is coming soon, this option is again worded differently, now the 4 options are as follows:

Apps & features
Choose where to get apps
Installing apps only from Windows Store helps protect your device. Combo box
Anywhere

Anywhere, but let me know if there’s a comparable app in the Microsoft Store

Anywhere, but warn me before installing an app that’s not from the Microsoft Store

The Microsoft Store only (recommended)

Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 3:58 AM

[...]

To be honest I havn't trusted shops repairing thing.

I suggest you reformat windows to make sure things are not screwed up in other ways to.

You never know what other shops put on the system.

Its been my experience with family stuff that these shops leave bits of stuff behind after the supposed fixups.

If I can with help do the repairs myself, I do it, now, usually after the system comes back, depending what has been done to it its probably in a more broke state than before.

So usually I reformat and make sure things work now I want them to work.

Then again maybe I had bad luck.

I'll start a thread in chat in a minute to continue this as its going to get offtopic.

.