Emoji Panel With 1903

Dave Mitchell

Hi Everyone,   My computer was successful in installing the 1903 upgrade just yesterday  but , as I too  have experienced,  the behavior of the Emoji Panel has changed.

I have worked with it to no good end and get a lot of “we could not find this one” and am hoping someone could repost current instructions for navigating this option with 1903.

Sorry my search failed to help me with my quest.  Thanks, Mitch

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mike B.

Hi Mitch,

See if this helps.
When you are in any type of app that will accept text like email, text file or document, open the Emoji panel with either, Windows key + semicolon key,
or, Windows key + period key, now arrow around to the emoji you want and press enter.  Now press escape to close the emoji panel and you should be able
to read the emoji you just pasted into the file you're working with.  If this doesn't work write back and we'll see what else to try.  These are the steps
that work for me.

Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 4:06 PM
Subject: [win10] Emoji Panel With 1903

Hi Everyone,   My computer was successful in installing the 1903 upgrade just yesterday  but , as I too  have experienced,  the behavior of the Emoji Panel has changed.

I have worked with it to no good end and get a lot of “we could not find this one” and am hoping someone could repost current instructions for navigating this option with 1903.

Sorry my search failed to help me with my quest.  Thanks, Mitch

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ijemmer Ramos

Greetings,

The emoji pannel worked for me initially after upgrading to 1903 but
it suddenly stopped working for no apparent reason. What could be the
solution to make it work again?

On 8/15/19, Mike B <mb69mach1@fastmail.com> wrote:
Hi Mitch,

See if this helps.
When you are in any type of app that will accept text like email, text file

or document, open the Emoji panel with either, Windows key + semicolon key,
or, Windows key + period key, now arrow around to the emoji you want and
press enter. Now press escape to close the emoji panel and you should be
able
to read the emoji you just pasted into the file you're working with. If
this doesn't work write back and we'll see what else to try. These are the

steps
that work for me.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Usually, the reason is that

somebody screwed up.
Hi Everyone, My computer was successful in installing the 1903 upgrade
just yesterday but , as I too have experienced, the behavior of the Emoji

Panel has changed.

I have worked with it to no good end and get a lot of “we could not find
this one” and am hoping someone could repost current instructions for
navigating this option with 1903.

Sorry my search failed to help me with my quest. Thanks, Mitch

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

It's still working for me, after upgrading to NVDA 2019.2 and yesterday's Windows 10 security patch.

For those having trouble with the emoji panel, are you using any add-ons?  And does disabling them (or restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled) help?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Christo de Klerk

Hello

I am experiencing the same issue. The emoji panel has stopped working on both my computers. I know it is not NVDA-related, because with NVDA not running and Narrator running, the problem is still there. I also tried Jaws, but the problem persists.

I found a page with Google with four suggested solutions, but I tried them all and none of them fixed the problem. If anyone knows a fix for this strange issue, please post it.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2019/08/15 03:05PM, Ijemmer Ramos wrote:
[...]

Hmm, no issues for me with emoji panel in 1903 on any of my 5 PC’s.

Hi Everyone,   My computer was successful in installing the 1903 upgrade
just yesterday  but , as I too  have experienced,  the behavior of the Emoji

Panel has changed.

I have worked with it to no good end and get a lot of “we could not find
this one” and am hoping someone could repost current instructions for
navigating this option with 1903.

Sorry my search failed to help me with my quest.  Thanks, Mitch

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi,

I don’t know if you’ve got an answer for his, but does this happen after restarting the computer?

Hmm, no issues for me with emoji panel in 1903 on any of my 5 PC’s.

Hi Everyone,   My computer was successful in installing the 1903 upgrade
just yesterday  but , as I too  have experienced,  the behavior of the Emoji

Panel has changed.

I have worked with it to no good end and get a lot of “we could not find
this one” and am hoping someone could repost current instructions for
navigating this option with 1903.

Sorry my search failed to help me with my quest.  Thanks, Mitch

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

What follows is my "standard script" for trying to resolve odd issues, but omitting the bit about the "thermonuclear option" of a completely clean reinstall:
----------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties).  This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified.  If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further.  Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1.
Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2.
Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file
----------------------

Neither of the two above techniques will result in any loss of data, so they're worth trying.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Hi,

Sometimes, logging off and back on resolves this, as it might be that the executable in charge of emoji panel (modern keyboard executable) may have become confused about some things. A more drastic option is shutting down the offending process (windowsinternals.composableshell) from Task Manager/processes tab.

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Sometimes, logging off and back on resolves this
Joseph,

           Just to be clear, I was not attempting to argue this.    The first thing any tech generally recommends is power cycling (as in entirely shutting down, not a "Fast Startup" enabled shutdown) a machine, which, of course, goes a bit beyond just logging on and off.

            I simply presume that most folks who've been around computers for a while already know this and will have done so before moving along to more complex fixes.  This is so basic a thing I do not even include it anymore, as I have to presume anyone who's been around computers long enough to join a group such as this one knows it already.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Christo de Klerk

Hello Joseph

I have done many reboots, but they did not cure the problem.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2019/08/17 05:24PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

I don’t know if you’ve got an answer for his, but does this happen after restarting the computer?

Hmm, no issues for me with emoji panel in 1903 on any of my 5 PC’s.

Hi Everyone,   My computer was successful in installing the 1903 upgrade
just yesterday  but , as I too  have experienced,  the behavior of the Emoji

Panel has changed.

I have worked with it to no good end and get a lot of “we could not find
this one” and am hoping someone could repost current instructions for
navigating this option with 1903.

Sorry my search failed to help me with my quest.  Thanks, Mitch

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Christo de Klerk

Hello Brian

Many thanks for the suggestions. I have tried SFC which did not fix it, but I have not tried DISM. I will try it and if it does not bear results, I'll try your second suggestion. I would rather live with the issue than do a clean install at the moment.

Kind regards

Christo