activate windows?

Billy Inglis <william.inglis72@...>

hi guys, After a new HDD instalation. I'm getting the following error message:
Windows is not activated, please go to settings and activate Windows.
Is it that easy, just go to settings and activate windows?.
Any advice or help in this matter would be very helpful indeed, Billy

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

If the system previously had Windows 10 on it then it will be that easy.

Settings, Update & Security, Activation pane.  There will likely be a link that reads "activate Windows" or something similar.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Richard Kuzma

Ususally it is that easy.
I hae found if win ten has been previously installed and activated it will activate once re-installed.
But, due to a hardware change, that may be why it kicked up the activation again.
Go through what was said and should be fine.
Take Care,
Rich

On Sat, Aug 17, 2019 at 01:04 PM, Richard Kuzma wrote:
if win ten has been previously installed and activated it will activate once re-installed.
Indeed.   But even this is, oddly enough, sometimes virtually instant while at others it can take several days.  That's why I always suggest manually triggering the link in the Activation Pane as that usually takes care of it then and there.

If it were not to, then call Microsoft.  They're always eager to assist in activating/reactivating Windows 10, and there are the very rare glitches that prevent that.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Hmmm if you have had a drive change, or hardware change depending what it is, it may mean you need to buy a new windows, I only thought that was the main board though.

On 17/08/2019 9:39 PM, Billy Inglis wrote:
hi guys, After a new HDD instalation. I'm getting the following error message:
Windows is not activated, please go to settings and activate Windows.
Is it that easy, just go to settings and activate windows?.
Any advice or help in this matter would be very helpful indeed, Billy

.

Richard Kuzma

That is what I believed to understand.
From what I am told the key is tied to the motherboard.

Hmmm if you have had a drive change, or hardware change depending what it is, it may mean you need to buy a new windows, I only thought that was the main board though.

On 17/08/2019 9:39 PM, Billy Inglis wrote:
hi guys, After a new HDD instalation. I'm getting the following error
message:
Windows is not activated, please go to settings and activate Windows.
Is it that easy, just go to settings and activate windows?.
Any advice or help in this matter would be very helpful indeed, Billy

.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

The license is tied directly to the motherboard.   I have yet to see any other hardware change (or changing virtually everything but the motherboard) "de-license" Windows 10.

If you happen to replace a motherboard secondary to failure, Microsoft even has a process to allow you to reactivate, but it generally requires a phone call to their support (and that support is available at no cost).

       ~ Lawrence Krauss