locked New Groups.io Group: BlindLife #AdminNotice #a11y #groupsio

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Hello All.  Again and again we see on the various blind and low-vision technology related groups the desire of members to reach out to each other regarding topics not related to the specific technology that's the focus of those groups.  This has caused friction at times, and has inspired the creation of a new group:  BlindLife.

The group description is as follows:  "A place for discussing technology, daily living tips n' tricks, accessibility, disability law, and pretty much anything else with a focus on relation to those who are blind or vision-impaired. Those who are sighted are welcome, too."

If you wish to have additional information about subscribing, etc., then send an e-mail message to BlindLife+help@groups.io or search the web interface for BlindLife.

This is still the best venue to which to direct your Windows 10 questions, but now there's a place for much less constrained conversation.

--
Brian

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Are you one of the list admins of this group which you mention? Awesome, if so!

Chris.

[...]

Chris,

          No, I am not, but I have been invited to be one.  I am considering it but my "dance card" is really rather full at the moment and I have no real idea of how much work may, or may not, be involved in being a moderator.  It would probably be less rather than more since I'm pretty much completely hands off unless things devolve to personal insults and name calling.

           I'm a big believer that heated debates serve a purpose so long as it's not people/personalities, but ideas, that are being debated.
--
Brian

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Gamer2556 <stevencantoz@...>

I’ve been thinking of being a moderator of a group.

I don’t have any experience, except for an unofficial game moderator.

Steven

          No, I am not, but I have been invited to be one.  I am considering it but my "dance card" is really rather full at the moment and I have no real idea of how much work may, or may not, be involved in being a moderator.  It would probably be less rather than more since I'm pretty much completely hands off unless things devolve to personal insults and name calling.

           I'm a big believer that heated debates serve a purpose so long as it's not people/personalities, but ideas, that are being debated.
--
Brian

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Ladies & Gentlemen,

         As the originator of this clearly "off topic" thread it was my hope that it will, ultimately, reduce off topic posts here.   I don't want it to become a meta-thread of its own, as it was strictly meant as an announcement of a venue for discussions not pertinent nor welcome here.

         If the group moderators wish to lock this thread please do so.  I would ask that it be allowed to remain, at least for a couple of days, and not be immediately deleted.
--
Brian

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Hi all,

Important directive: please write to Brian privately if you want more info, and whenever you need to advertise a new list, ask for blessings from the admins first.

[...]

Wow! You dance?  Hince, Dance card? Now this is something I'd like to hear more about. You should write me off list!

Or, is that actually an idiomatic expression that I'm obviously not familiar with, LOL!

          No, I am not, but I have been invited to be one.  I am considering it but my "dance card" is really rather full at the moment and I have no real idea of how much work may, or may not, be involved in being a moderator.  It would probably be less rather than more since I'm pretty much completely hands off unless things devolve to personal insults and name calling.

           I'm a big believer that heated debates serve a purpose so long as it's not people/personalities, but ideas, that are being debated.
--
Brian

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

I cross my heart. I won't respond any further on list about it.

         As the originator of this clearly "off topic" thread it was my hope that it will, ultimately, reduce off topic posts here.   I don't want it to become a meta-thread of its own, as it was strictly meant as an announcement of a venue for discussions not pertinent nor welcome here.

         If the group moderators wish to lock this thread please do so.  I would ask that it be allowed to remain, at least for a couple of days, and not be immediately deleted.
--
Brian

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Uh... Blessings?  LOL?

Interesting way a putting it. LOL!

Chris.

[...]

This thread will be allowed until midnight UTC-8 on December 13, 2016 (after that, locked). Thanks.