VersaPoint DUO Embosser Device Driver

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Hello All,

         What follows is not directly Windows 10 related and I have already asked on the BlindLife group, but gotten no response, and was hoping that someone here who doesn't overlap the membership there might know.  It also could be useful information for others since it seems to be hard-to-find to begin with.

         A good friend of mine just got a brand new computer that was intentionally loaded with Windows 7 Pro.  She also has a VersaPoint DUO embosser that uses a parallel port connection and had a parallel port installed on the machine she had built for her.

         I thought for certain that I'd be able to do my usual web search and find a device driver to install for the embosser.  Since it's a parallel port device the usual USB-type plug-n-play search for a driver does not work.

         Mind you, she will be acquiring an updated copy of Duxbury in short order, which will probably include a device driver for the VersaPoint DUO since I see it's definitely still a supported device by many Braille programs even though it's not currently being made anymore.  That still doesn't help, though, when you've got things like Kurzweil 1000 and other programs that could emboss on her old computer but can't on the new one, at least not at the moment, because the VersaPoint is not a recognized printer (and I'd presume that's what it would be considered, just another printer, but one that has a very specific driver for it).

          If there is a stand-alone device driver installer for the VersaPoint under Windows 7, or any version of Windows for that matter, would someone let me know where that might be located?  I know that she can do the installation herself, but not if there's nothing to install.

--
Brian

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Hi,

I’ll forward this to the Blind Tech mailing list to see if you can get responses from there.

[...]

Steve Dresser

Hi Brian,

I don't think the driver is the issue since Windows talks to braille embossers through the generic text-only driver.  That said, you will need a piece of hardware to convert a parallel port to USB, and that device will probably have its own driver.  I haven't looked for such a device in a long time, so I don't know if they're still available.  I wonder, though, if the Duo can also talk to a serial port (and I think it can).  You may find it easier to come up with a serial to USB converter, and I'm pretty sure those are still available.  Just make sure you get one with the Prolific USB chip set.  In other words, don't go for the cheap knock-offs as they often behave unpredictably.  Again, the hardware will have its own driver, or it may be part of Windows, but you'll still need the Generic Text-only driver to talk to the embosser.  Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll answer if I can.

Steve

[...]

Steve,

          I'm going to take a "wait and see" on this.  The device is, and has always been, connected to the Windows machines that it's been connected to via a parallel port.  That's the reason that one was explicitly included on this custom-built box.  There was something that was the driver for it.

          I have never had any luck with any parallel to USB adapter in the past.  I am fairly certain that I don't have any other cabling options as this device has been a fixture in the house, and where it is, for quite a while now.  I will ask, though, whether she happens to have alternate cables stashed somewhere.

          I'll keep you all posted as events progress (or don't progress).  This is likely on hold until after the first of the year.
--
Brian

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.

    ~ Herman Melville (1819 - 1891), US novelist & sailor

Iaen Cordell

Interesting Brian, I work in the communications field and like you I have never found a good serial or parallel USB converter.

Even the guys in the field who work on the cell sites gave up the chance for newer laptops as they did not support serial and or printer ports.

Cheers

IC