Forum wiki proposal: Linking Brian's tutorials under one roof, a page for discussing differences between stable builds #wikiproposal

Hi everyone,

For those who are new to this forum and subgroups: we actually do have a wiki:

https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/wiki

Although this wiki is minimalist compared to wikis on other forums, I believe it is time to change that. The proposals for new pages are:

  • Brian’s tutorials: I believe that it would be helpful to place Brian’s tutorial links under one roof (a wiki page with links to his tutorials).
  • Comparison between stable builds: for some time, I thought about a wiki page that would present feature differences between stable builds, namely new settings, limitations and so on. Any thoughts on this?

Note that in order to edit wiki pages, you need to have ability to access the web interface. For best presentation results, I use Markdown to format wiki pages.

Gary Ray

So, how does one log in to this site?

Gary Ray

For those who are new to this forum and subgroups: we actually do have a wiki:

https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/wiki

Although this wiki is minimalist compared to wikis on other forums, I believe it is time to change that. The proposals for new pages are:

  • Brian’s tutorials: I believe that it would be helpful to place Brian’s tutorial links under one roof (a wiki page with links to his tutorials).
  • Comparison between stable builds: for some time, I thought about a wiki page that would present feature differences between stable builds, namely new settings, limitations and so on. Any thoughts on this?

Note that in order to edit wiki pages, you need to have ability to access the web interface. For best presentation results, I use Markdown to format wiki pages.

The web interface? You’d go to groups.io, then select “log in” or something similar. Enter your email address, and if you haven’t set up your password, you’ll be invited to set one up.

For those who are new to this forum and subgroups: we actually do have a wiki:

https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/wiki

Although this wiki is minimalist compared to wikis on other forums, I believe it is time to change that. The proposals for new pages are:

  • Brian’s tutorials: I believe that it would be helpful to place Brian’s tutorial links under one roof (a wiki page with links to his tutorials).
  • Comparison between stable builds: for some time, I thought about a wiki page that would present feature differences between stable builds, namely new settings, limitations and so on. Any thoughts on this?

Note that in order to edit wiki pages, you need to have ability to access the web interface. For best presentation results, I use Markdown to format wiki pages.

Gary Ray

I am sorry, but maybe I need to be a bit more descriptive.  I went to the Wiki page.  It says there that only folks in this group can edit or post.  So, I need more details on exactly how this works.

Are you saying that I’ll need to go to the main group page and set up a password?

It is very difficult to get all of this when your answers are aimed at a person who is well above my level of experience.

I have seen a couple of posts from folks saying the same sort of things. I know I’d appreciate it if you would aim your answers at a person who is not at your level of understanding.

Gary Ray

[...]

This clears up a lot of things, and apologies for my wording before…

Yes, the wiki is set up so that members of this forum can edit (we don’t want public vandalism).

To edit a post, you’ll first need to log in. Go to groups.io homepage, then look for a link that says, “log in” or “sign in” (one of these should work). Then enter your email address once the form comes up. Then you’ll be asked to set up a password (perhaps another form once you press ENTER after entering your email address). Set up the password. Alternatively, you can log into the web interface if you have a Gmail or a Facebook account (if so, you can use links that invites you to log in using these credentials).

Once you log in, go to the wiki page (win10.groups.io/g/win10/wiki), then if you wish to edit a page, go to that page and go to edit control (a button or a link I believe). Then you can edit wiki pages.

[...]

Dave Carlson <dgcarlson@...>

Joseph,

What if I only want to read the information. Do I still need permission to edit?

Dave

[...]

Wiki is visible to anyone around the world (no need to log in just to view it).

[...]

Joseph:

This is exactly what I needed.

I hope an old dog can learn a new trick or two!

Meppy Kwanahonaramasolmas!

Gary Ray