Windows Central: Edge planned to be updated from Windows Store in future Windows 10 releases #wintendev

Hi all,

If the following Windows Central article turns out to be true (evidenced by this showing up in Redstone 3 Insider builds at some point), this will mean quite a change for screen reader vendors and has huge implications for many:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redstone-3?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Advice: before replying with your comments, please think about what this means for all of us (not just screen reader users and developers, but also for others using Windows 10).

enes sarıbaş

hi,
I don't understand how this has implications for screen reader users.  We'll be looking at a browser that gets updated like chrome or firefox.

On 5/2/2017 6:11 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

If the following Windows Central article turns out to be true (evidenced by this showing up in Redstone 3 Insider builds at some point), this will mean quite a change for screen reader vendors and has huge implications for many:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redstone-3?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Advice: before replying with your comments, please think about what this means for all of us (not just screen reader users and developers, but also for others using Windows 10).

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Honestly I dont see the importence of this move... MS can update Edge whenever they want... It does not require OS updates... And if they cant get it accessible in 2 years whats the point...

On 5/1/2017 8:11 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

If the following Windows Central article turns out to be true (evidenced by this showing up in Redstone 3 Insider builds at some point), this will mean quite a change for screen reader vendors and has huge implications for many:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redstone-3?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Advice: before replying with your comments, please think about what this means for all of us (not just screen reader users and developers, but also for others using Windows 10).

What if the rendering engine changes along with it? What if something happens that screen reader users were not prepared for? These are worst case scenarios, but for the most part, screen reader vendors are going to come up with workarounds.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, May 1, 2017 at 08:49 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
What if the rendering engine changes along with it? What if something happens that screen reader users were not prepared for?

Joseph, I say the following with either no snark intended or all snark intended, depending on your viewpoint:  And this is different than the current state of affairs in what way?

Nothing is so constant as change in the world of technology in general and computing in particular.  Time and again we've seen scenarios such as you describe.  They are, indeed, major issues but, as you note, fixes and workarounds tend to be made promptly.

I see this as "more of the same" when the wide view is taken.
--
Brian

    . . . it misses the point that even if you eliminated all cultural biases, human beings would still form stereotypes.  It's simply how the brain works.

            ~ Scott Safier,  March 10, 2004

David Moore

I think that Edge will be updated no more than Chrome or Firefox. Screen readers can keep up pretty well with Chrome and Firefox updates. Edge will be the same. I think it is a good thing to separate it from the OS, because you will not be forced to use it so much. If it is like apps like the built in apps, you can just turn it off. Take care guys!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Yes, now we will have an inaccessible windows store due to microsoft edge sucking.

Time for all you pirates to switch back to windows7 and xp I think.

Do microsoft want to drive away users?

Yesterday I had to run apps in the background again because msse well defender is an app.

Its getting worse every day.

I think I will stay with win7 and may even go back to xp if this continues.

Seriously dissapointed.

The store app is accessible right now, but if everyone uses edge nvda and narator excluded to some extent, I really feel it for jaws users etc just think.

You will have to pay another 500 dollars to buy and use the store module.

I am not saying this will happen but, what will happen if microsoft eventually stop desktop apps, answer, the blind will have to go elsewhere for their windows fix.

And I bet that it will be back to xp or some other windows os with out the issues 10 will get.

Here I thought 10 would become better than all windows.

And what do I find, yes it currently is approaching almost better than win7 now microsoft chucks it down in flames with this announcement.

It would be better if microsoft let the user decide what brouser their apps would run in, firefox, google chrome, or a classic mode or anything really.

While I have no issue handling the inconvenience of windows 10 on others pcs, I will be installing all the tricks, hacks, craccks and tweaks to make windows 10 accessible.

ribbon disabler for one, old new explorer maybe, classic shell,.

I will try to get a list of keyboard commands to but this is dissapointing.

Do microsoft realise that their so called edge brouser is and will always be total crap because its lagging behind what it should be?

Its getting there but we as users developers asside can't really call it stable.

Nvda may read it and narator maybe but what about those with jaws and other comercial readers.

While people will pay for extras the reason I eventually quit jaws was because of its licencing scheme.

A licence for home os, a licence for pro os.

The licence is to use the os in question, no extras.

There is a remote access module for remote desktop and their remote system but again another price for that, no features.

I could imagine a licence to use edge for jaws, a licence to use store for jaws.

While I realise those with jobs have no choice and will get it funded the fact comercial readers etc are going to be in the dust.

It may force others to other means.

For those on phones or that use tablets for somethings it may not be so bad but for others with lots of windows software well something drastic will have to happen.

I know that ms guys are on this list so if you are listening, I will be sure to start running win7 and xp and other legal or non legal windows versions if things continue in this reguard.

It wouldn't be so bad if edge was a half way decent brouser or that you could actually choose to never use edge and use what you want.

I know thats not what you want to hear but to be honest narator was a joke for a while and to a lot still is though its getting better.

Edge is a joke even though to a few more its getting better.

You missed the boat with edge we all use firefox and chrome now, give us the choice or not at all.

I am undecided what I will do as such.

In the short term I have enough legal windows licences well 1 cd of 7 not on my laptop that I can probably be fine and get another antivirus scanner etc.

But for everyone else, its going to be harder.

It wouldn't be so bad for those starting out, there are ios and android devices that can do a lot of things now.

However for those of us that have brought a lot of windows software and started with windows over the years we can't just give it up in fact we have spent to much cash on legal windows software to really exit windows fully.

And even if you do use a tablet you still need a computer for various things.

To say I am dissapointed is an understatement.

Isn't windows as a service going to mean things should get better?

Groove and store are passable so are some form fields but nothing is as accessible as win7 is sadly.

On 2/05/2017 3:11 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,

If the following Windows Central article turns out to be true (evidenced by
this showing up in Redstone 3 Insider builds at some point), this will mean
quite a change for screen reader vendors and has huge implications for many:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redstone
-3?utm_source=wpc
<http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redston
e-3?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter> &utm_medium=twitter

Advice: before replying with your comments, please think about what this
means for all of us (not just screen reader users and developers, but also
for others using Windows 10).

Because edge is crap and broken.

Its lagging behind where it should be, yes it can be used but its really missing the boat.

I have noticed a few things in win7, ie password boxes, forms, the store and groove app, etc, etc, etc even down to edge without menus.

Yes the universal apps in most cases are passable as well as some other features are passable.

They work, but if you compair the features in win7 with msaa to the win10 with uia, yes they work, but the accessibility is minimal to nonexistant and even if the level is reguarded as accessible the performance and pollish for me at least is much to be desired.

Its not to bad to admin a system with 10.

However, for my own system, I am going to have to install so much extra third party software, hacks, cracks and tweaks just to make the system work in the way I want it that it makes me wander.

The start menu is fine right now, as it is win10 is passable maybe not totally great but with a few tweaks well it works.

The point is edge is not relivent, I do use ie for some stuff, but not much it crashes and is horrible.

I use chrome for some things but firefox is my brouser of choice.

Edge no matter how accessible ms actually ends up making it is to little to late, up to now its not impacted me that much.

But if it does start to do so I am going to have to wander how serious microsoft is comitted to its users.

win10 was fine up to this point for what I have needed to use which is not file management but in fact on existing things on the system for admin work.

However win7 never has this sort of problem, xp doesn't have this problem.

I do find myself wandering if ms cares about its users fully as it says it does.

Win10 features can be used but in my opinion some of them perform badly, with what I would think is minimal accessibility compaired to what I get out of 7 and even xp that is.

THe standard seems to have dropped and I don't like it.

On 2/05/2017 3:47 p.m., enes sarıbaş wrote:
hi,
I don't understand how this has implications for screen reader users. We'll be looking at a browser that gets updated like chrome or firefox.
On 5/2/2017 6:11 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

If the following Windows Central article turns out to be true (evidenced by this showing up in Redstone 3 Insider builds at some point), this will mean quite a change for screen reader vendors and has huge implications for many:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redstone-3?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Advice: before replying with your comments, please think about what this means for all of us (not just screen reader users and developers, but also for others using Windows 10).

The point is that they will put it in the store so we will have to use it with universal apps unless ofcause we never buy a single app at all or music or anything from a ms anything that is.

Its a bit hard to not do some of that right now I allready get some music but not much, groove and store sort of work but thats about it.

You are right I don't give a dead horse about edge but if microsoft shoves it in my face, I may have to start using alegal windows versions to use my computer.

Its not like microsoft gives us a choice on what we use for everything, a lot of stuff is not up to what I have grown to see as what microsoft has done in the past and while that had been a bit hit and miss I was almost luled into thinking that was mostly behind us.

If ms want to drive others away from windows alltogether to other platforms or to cracked windows, then I have no issue cracking windows.

I'd far sooner have microsoft try to keep its users though than to drive them away.

If this is true then itis a really bad let down for users.

Some of you may not think of it that way but wait till its hoved in your faces.

I guess I am getting quite concerned, I do think that someone the mods maybe need to remind ms about the state of edge and a few other things and that this article is concerning users me included.

I wouldn't say I am angry as such but worried buckets full right now.

On 2/05/2017 3:48 p.m., Randy Barnett wrote:
Honestly I dont see the importence of this move... MS can update Edge whenever they want... It does not require OS updates... And if they cant get it accessible in 2 years whats the point...

On 5/1/2017 8:11 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

If the following Windows Central article turns out to be true (evidenced by this showing up in Redstone 3 Insider builds at some point), this will mean quite a change for screen reader vendors and has huge implications for many:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redstone-3?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

Advice: before replying with your comments, please think about what this means for all of us (not just screen reader users and developers, but also for others using Windows 10).

True and who'

's saying we won't have to pay for those I am not against paying but imagining having to pay for a store or edge module for example in worse case.

On 2/05/2017 3:49 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Before we continue with this discussion, a stop sign: as long as we steer
away from cracked software, means of cracking them or inviting folks to do
it (including pirates), the thread shall continue. Also, please remember
that we do have new citizens, so be mindful of them as you comment.

[...]

You are probably right maybe we are all jumping to conclusions this is just one article for an early idea, I hope to god ms gives people time to try to change.

*

* * ~ Scott Safier, March 10, 2004

Thats true david

On 2/05/2017 5:21 p.m., David Moore wrote:
[...]

I understand joseph on this issue.

I guess I am really concerned at this change.

I know we are talking worse case here but microsoft track record with edge especially with others with other brousers now is not great.

I guess my main concern is suddenly being locked out of my os and thats the crux of the matter.

I am actually quite scared.

On 2/05/2017 7:17 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
[...]

heather albright <kd5cbl@...>

I do not use edge I use firefox , explorer and starting to use crome. So are they saying one will be forced to use edge to have access to windows? I did not get that from the article, only that it will be a windows store app or something. I already do not use the windows store because it is not truelly accessible. Cheers Heather

contact:
e-mail:
kd5cbl@...
skype: cynterline
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
sites:
National Federation of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
how the blind do it:
www.blindhow.com

The point is that they will put it in the store so we will have to use

it with universal apps unless ofcause we never buy a single app at all

or music or anything from a ms anything that is.

Its a bit hard to not do some of that right now I allready get some

music but not much, groove and store sort of work but thats about it.

You are right I don't give a dead horse about edge but if microsoft

shoves it in my face, I may have to start using alegal windows versions

to use my computer.

Its not like microsoft gives us a choice on what we use for everything,

a lot of stuff is not up to what I have grown to see as what microsoft

has done in the past and while that had been a bit hit and miss I was

almost luled into thinking that was mostly behind us.

If ms want to drive others away from windows alltogether to other

platforms or to cracked windows, then I have no issue cracking windows.

I'd far sooner have microsoft try to keep its users though than to drive

them away.

If this is true then itis a really bad let down for users.

Some of you may not think of it that way but wait till its hoved in your

faces.

I guess I am getting quite concerned, I do think that someone the mods

maybe need to remind ms about the state of edge and a few other things

and that this article is concerning users me included.

I wouldn't say I am angry as such but worried buckets full right now.

On 2/05/2017 3:48 p.m., Randy Barnett wrote:

> Honestly I dont see the importence of this move... MS can update Edge

> whenever they want... It does not require OS updates... And if they

> cant get it accessible in 2 years whats the point...

> On 5/1/2017 8:11 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

>> Hi all,

>> If the following Windows Central article turns out to be true

>> (evidenced by this showing up in Redstone 3 Insider builds at some

>> point), this will mean quite a change for screen reader vendors and

>> has huge implications for many:

>> http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redstone-3?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

>> Advice: before replying with your comments, please think about what

>> this means for all of us (not just screen reader users and

>> developers, but also for others using Windows 10).

>> Cheers,

>> Joseph

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Hi,

The central message of the article I linked is that, in the future (don’t know when), updates to Edge will be done via Windows Store as opposed to being done via feature updates. Thus, instead of waiting six months to meet new Edge releases, updates for it can come out faster (I’d imagine every month or two). You can also tell Store to manually update apps, and if so, you are then presented with an option to install apps other than Edge when updates for them appear. Just like any executable, universal apps can check for presence of features and which Windows 10 build they are running on top of (for example, recent Movies and TV app updates do not offer mini mode (compact overlay/picture-in-picture) unless the build you’ve got is 15063 or later).

The point is that they will put it in the store so we will have to use

it with universal apps unless ofcause we never buy a single app at all

or music or anything from a ms anything that is.

Its a bit hard to not do some of that right now I allready get some

music but not much, groove and store sort of work but thats about it.

You are right I don't give a dead horse about edge but if microsoft

shoves it in my face, I may have to start using alegal windows versions

to use my computer.

Its not like microsoft gives us a choice on what we use for everything,

a lot of stuff is not up to what I have grown to see as what microsoft

has done in the past and while that had been a bit hit and miss I was

almost luled into thinking that was mostly behind us.

If ms want to drive others away from windows alltogether to other

platforms or to cracked windows, then I have no issue cracking windows.

I'd far sooner have microsoft try to keep its users though than to drive

them away.

If this is true then itis a really bad let down for users.

Some of you may not think of it that way but wait till its hoved in your

faces.

I guess I am getting quite concerned, I do think that someone the mods

maybe need to remind ms about the state of edge and a few other things

and that this article is concerning users me included.

I wouldn't say I am angry as such but worried buckets full right now.

On 2/05/2017 3:48 p.m., Randy Barnett wrote:

> Honestly I dont see the importence of this move... MS can update Edge

> whenever they want... It does not require OS updates... And if they

> cant get it accessible in 2 years whats the point...

> On 5/1/2017 8:11 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

>> Hi all,

>> If the following Windows Central article turns out to be true

>> (evidenced by this showing up in Redstone 3 Insider builds at some

>> point), this will mean quite a change for screen reader vendors and

>> has huge implications for many:

>> http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-bring-edge-windows-10-store-redstone-3?utm_source=wpc&utm_medium=twitter

>> Advice: before replying with your comments, please think about what

>> this means for all of us (not just screen reader users and

>> developers, but also for others using Windows 10).

>> Cheers,

>> Joseph

Image removed by sender. AVG logo

www.avg.com

Hi,
Edge is just one of the universal apps out there. This change has been anticipated for a while, given that majority of universal apps are updated via Windows Store. However, Edge is a bit special in that it is considered a crucial part of the user interface for some features, as its rendering engine (EdgeHTML) powers things such as Microsoft Account sign in page under Settings/Accounts. There are benefits to this move: if Edge is treated as another updatable app, it might be possible to use Settings app (Windows+I) to reset Edge and do other stuff (you can reset Store app via Settings app).
I guess we should dedicate a thread on Edge primer and comparisons with other browsers...

[...]

AAh I thought eedge would be the interface for windows store.

If edge is an app, that could mean a user could potentially remove it I'd imagine ms wouldn't be happy with this however but as long as we are not forced to use it well.

On 2/05/2017 7:36 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

_____

<http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com/internet-security>

James Bentley

Hi Josiph,

Pardon my confusion but is there a negative side to all of this?

Regards,

James B

[...]

One potential side effect is that workarounds that were in place for an earlier version may not work after updates to Edge breaks it. The issue that some of you experienced with Mail app is a classic example of this type of problem, but screen reader vendors do release workarounds.