Build 2017: Windows Timeline, cloud-powered clipboard, iTunes universal app and more #wintendev

Hi all,

Huge announcements from Microsoft Build 2017 keynote on Windows 10:

  • Next release: it will be called Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, scheduled for fall 2017.
  • Universal Windows Platform: iTunes (yes, you heard it right) is coming to Windows store. In addition, Bash on Windows is now a universal app.
  • Project Neon: officially called “fluent design” with blurs and transparency and other effects added.
  • Subsystem for Linux: in addition to Ubuntu, Suse will be supported, and talks are under way to support Fedora.
  • Windows Timeline: a feature to track users’ activity across all devices.
  • Cloud-powered clipboard: copy something from one device, and paste it on other devices such as other PC’s, Windows 10 Mobile, Android and iOS.
  • OneDrive on demand: placeholder for files and content stored on the cloud.
  • Narrator: developer mode has been enhanced and became “accessibility mode”.
  • And many more.

Other things not announced but were mentioned throughout Build 2017 and in current Insider builds:

  • Windows Server Insider: people using Windows Server can now sign up for Windows Insider Program and test preview builds.
  • Windows My People: a toolbar on the taskbar that allows favorite contacts to be pinned and interacted with, such as Skype calls, sharing files and what not.
  • Narrator: you can now specify braille input tables separate from output tables.

I’ll reply once articles and blog posts are posted on various websites.

[...]

Mário Navarro <mario.gnv@...>

good news!

thanks Joseph.

cheers.

Às 18:17 de 11/05/2017, Joseph Lee escreveu:

[...]

David Moore

Wow, Joseph!

Thanks a lot. I am very excited, because it will be great to copy items from one device to another. I use iTunes, and I love it as a library for my music and playing all of my music on it. This is exciting.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

I will probably rate the ability to copy and paste between different PC’s and even my PC and iPhone as the most amazing and useful feature of the ones I read about.

[...]

Also, I think Microsoft has already started and is going to continue to kick Apple’s butt quite badly with Windows 10 when compared to Mac OS. Apple seems to have lost their way a bit, maybe they find it again, but right now I think Microsoft is engaged in major innovation and just in general on a roll. Yes, I know this does not include a phone, but as a platform for both computers and tablets Windows 10 is pretty cool right now and Microsoft also has been coming out with some very amazing if expensive devices.

Regards,

Sieghard.

[...]

Hmmm bash a universal app, why, I suppose it will become inaccessible then.

itunes, um, itunes desktop is already half clunked, the app will probably be just as bad.