MS Accessibility Blog: what's coming in Fall Creators Update #a11y #msftenable #wintendev

Hi all,

Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post detailing what’s coming in Fall Creators Update:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibility-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

Mário Navarro <mario.gnv@...>

Wow, wow, I loved this one:
  Automatically generated image descriptions – Narrator will include the ability to use artificial intelligence to generate descriptions for images that lack alternative text on demand. The service includes the ability to extract text from images using optical character recognition.

Microsoft is the right way.
thanks microsoft.
cheers.

Às 17:52 de 18/05/2017, Joseph Lee escreveu:

Hi all,

Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post detailing what’s coming in Fall Creators Update:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibility-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

Well thats good to know that if we ever end up with s we can upgrade to pro for nothing.

S is good for students but most of it is cut off and I don't care about only windows apps and anarator to be honest.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:54 am, Mário Navarro wrote:
Wow, wow, I loved this one:
  Automatically generated image descriptions – Narrator will include the ability to use artificial intelligence to generate descriptions for images that lack alternative text on demand. The service includes the ability to extract text from images using optical character recognition.

Mario,

          You might want to temper your enthusiasm just a bit on this one.  I have played with the webpage (and I cannot find it right now) for Microsoft image recognition and the results are significantly less than 100% accurate.   Of course, if you know the general context you'll have a much better idea as to whether the image description is right.

            OCR, however, has been raised to a fine art by virtually everyone that does it and I expect that will be spectacularly accurate if the source image is even reasonably clear.
--
Brian      Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Suppression of expression by the government is censorship.

Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.

Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

Devin Prater

Wow, automatic image stuff, that's pretty amazing! Keep it up,
Microsoft, and I might have to dual-boot this machine after all!
--

Devin Prater
Assistive Technology instructor in training at World

"Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com> writes:

Well thats good to know that if we ever end up with s we can upgrade
to pro for nothing.

S is good for students but most of it is cut off and I don't care
about only windows apps and anarator to be honest.

On 19/05/2017 4:52 a.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,

Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post
detailing what's coming in Fall Creators Update:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibil
ity-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to
Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

David Moore

Go Microsoft and win10!

I will never leave Microsoft, and I never have in the past.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

"Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@...> writes:

> Well thats good to know that if we ever end up with s we can upgrade

> to pro for nothing.

> S is good for students but most of it is cut off and I don't care

> about only windows apps and anarator to be honest.

> On 19/05/2017 4:52 a.m., Joseph Lee wrote:

>> Hi all,

>> Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post

>> detailing what's coming in Fall Creators Update:

>> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibil

>> ity-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

>> An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to

>> Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

>> Cheers,

>> Joseph

Devin Prater

I'm pretty techie, so I explore other systems. Currently on Arch Linux,
but if I can figure out how, or keep my files, I may either
switch back or dual-boot.
--

"David Moore" <jesusloves1966@gmail.com> writes:

Go Microsoft and win10!

I will never leave Microsoft, and I never have in the past.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Wow, automatic image stuff, that's pretty amazing! Keep it up,

Microsoft, and I might have to dual-boot this machine after all!

Devin Prater

All I'd need is an ISO file of Windows 10, not sure if I'd need a serial
number, as my laptop came with Windows 10, but I’d definitely
dual-boot if I knew how to get it working with no conflicts.