MS Accessibility Blog: what's coming in Fall Creators Update #a11y #msftenable #wintendev

Hi all,

Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post detailing what’s coming in Fall Creators Update:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibility-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

Cheers,

Joseph

Mário Navarro <mario.gnv@...>

Wow, wow, I loved this one:
  Automatically generated image descriptions – Narrator will include the ability to use artificial intelligence to generate descriptions for images that lack alternative text on demand. The service includes the ability to extract text from images using optical character recognition.

Microsoft is the right way.
thanks microsoft.
cheers.

Às 17:52 de 18/05/2017, Joseph Lee escreveu:

Hi all,

Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post detailing what’s coming in Fall Creators Update:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibility-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

Cheers,

Joseph

Well thats good to know that if we ever end up with s we can upgrade to pro for nothing.

S is good for students but most of it is cut off and I don't care about only windows apps and anarator to be honest.

On 19/05/2017 4:52 a.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,

Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post
detailing what's coming in Fall Creators Update:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibil
ity-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to
Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:54 am, Mário Navarro wrote:
  Automatically generated image descriptions – Narrator will include the ability to use artificial intelligence to generate descriptions for images that lack alternative text on demand. The service includes the ability to extract text from images using optical character recognition.

Mario,

You might want to temper your enthusiasm just a bit on this one.  I have played with the webpage (and I cannot find it right now) for Microsoft image recognition and the results are significantly less than 100% accurate.   Of course, if you know the general context you'll have a much better idea as to whether the image description is right.

OCR, however, has been raised to a fine art by virtually everyone that does it and I expect that will be spectacularly accurate if the source image is even reasonably clear. 
--
Brian      Version 1703, Build 15063.296, Home 64-bit

Suppression of expression by the government is censorship.

Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.

Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

Devin Prater

Wow, automatic image stuff, that's pretty amazing! Keep it up,
Microsoft, and I might have to dual-boot this machine after all!
--

Devin Prater
Assistive Technology instructor in training at World
services for the blind; JAWS certified.
Sent from Discordia using Gnus
for Emacs.

"Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com> writes:

Well thats good to know that if we ever end up with s we can upgrade
to pro for nothing.

S is good for students but most of it is cut off and I don't care
about only windows apps and anarator to be honest.

On 19/05/2017 4:52 a.m., Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,

Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post
detailing what's coming in Fall Creators Update:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibil
ity-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to
Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

Cheers,

Joseph

David Moore

Go Microsoft and win10!

I will never leave Microsoft, and I never have in the past.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:38 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: Re: [win10] MS Accessibility Blog: what's coming in Fall CreatorsUpdate #WinTenDev #A11Y #MSFTEnable

--

Devin Prater

for Emacs.

"Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@...> writes:

> Well thats good to know that if we ever end up with s we can upgrade

> to pro for nothing.

> S is good for students but most of it is cut off and I don't care

> about only windows apps and anarator to be honest.

> On 19/05/2017 4:52 a.m., Joseph Lee wrote:

>> Hi all,

>> 

>>  

>> 

>> Our very own Jeff Petty (accessibility lead at Microsoft) wrote a blog post

>> detailing what's coming in Fall Creators Update:

>> 

>> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/accessibility/2017/05/18/windows-accessibil

>> ity-what-to-expect-later-this-year/

>> 

>>  

>> 

>> An interesting note is that Windows 10 S users will be able to upgrade to

>> Windows 10 Pro for free if they use assistive technologies.

>> 

>> Cheers,

>> 

>> Joseph

>> 

>> 

>

Devin Prater

I'm pretty techie, so I explore other systems. Currently on Arch Linux,
but if I can figure out how, or keep my files, I may either
switch back or dual-boot.
--

Devin Prater
for Emacs.

"David Moore" <jesusloves1966@gmail.com> writes:

Go Microsoft and win10!

David Moore

Subject: Re: [win10] MS Accessibility Blog: what's coming in Fall CreatorsUpdate #WinTenDev #A11Y #MSFTEnable

Devin Prater

All I'd need is an ISO file of Windows 10, not sure if I'd need a serial
number, as my laptop came with Windows 10, but I’d definitely
dual-boot if I knew how to get it working with no conflicts.
--

Devin Prater
for Emacs.

"David Moore" <jesusloves1966@gmail.com> writes:

Go Microsoft and win10!

David Moore

Mário Navarro <mario.gnv@...>

Hi brian
Yes I know that, but this is just the beginning.
Microsoft is committed to improving everything they do for accessibility ...
And this feature will also be updated.
we are on the right way.
Thanks for you being an insider, and give your contribution to our accessibility in windows
cheers.

Às 04:15 de 19/05/2017, Brian Vogel escreveu:

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 10:54 am, Mário Navarro wrote:

Mario,

You might want to temper your enthusiasm just a bit on this one.  I have played with the webpage (and I cannot find it right now) for Microsoft image recognition and the results are significantly less than 100% accurate.   Of course, if you know the general context you'll have a much better idea as to whether the image description is right.

OCR, however, has been raised to a fine art by virtually everyone that does it and I expect that will be spectacularly accurate if the source image is even reasonably clear. 
--

Suppression of expression by a publisher or broadcaster over what it disseminates is editorial oversight.

Suppression of expression of children by their parents is necessary socialization and good parenting.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Just an FYI for anyone who is considering dual-booting on a system that came with Windows 10 that you've since replaced with something else.

Ignoring any of the difficulties of setting up the dual boot itself, you can definitely do this with ease.  I do not dual boot and it's been too long since I even dealt with this peripherally to know how complicated the gyrations of setting that up are.  But the reinstallation of Windows 10 will not be the difficult part.

Windows 10 is licensed based on the serial number of the CPU (I think it's the CPU, it might be the motherboard) of the machine on which it was installed and this information is held on Microsoft's servers.  If at any point one wishes to reinstall Windows 10 the edition of Windows 10, e.g. Home or Pro, that came with the machine will be the version automatically installed when you do the reinstallation and it will be licensed based on Microsoft's records.
--

Devin Prater

Thanks for this! Very clever on Microsoft's part. One can run away for a while, and Microsoft is waiting with open arms when you come back.

Devin Prater

Assistive Technology Instructor in training at World Services for the BLIND, JAWS certified

On May 19, 2017 9:46 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Just an FYI for anyone who is considering dual-booting on a system that came with Windows 10 that you've since replaced with something else.

Ignoring any of the difficulties of setting up the dual boot itself, you can definitely do this with ease.  I do not dual boot and it's been too long since I even dealt with this peripherally to know how complicated the gyrations of setting that up are.  But the reinstallation of Windows 10 will not be the difficult part.

Windows 10 is licensed based on the serial number of the CPU (I think it's the CPU, it might be the motherboard) of the machine on which it was installed and this information is held on Microsoft's servers.  If at any point one wishes to reinstall Windows 10 the edition of Windows 10, e.g. Home or Pro, that came with the machine will be the version automatically installed when you do the reinstallation and it will be licensed based on Microsoft's records.
--

Shannon

Brian,

This discussion below, Is that a reasonable step to try? Will those steps wipe programs or documents?

Or is the refresh using the program you suggested the better way?

We just had an issue here at work. Remember I was the one complaining about semantic? Apparently according to our IT guy the latest release of Win 10 Has been a bad experience with semantic.

I uninstalled Semantic from my unit last week but… It is still acting really strange.

I am just about ready to take this to the computer grave yard and run far away.

It is really frustrating not to know what is the bad part or if all three parts of my situation are bad.

Was it a bad JAWS install? Heard talk about that ….

Was it a bad Win patch? Heard talk about that too.

Was it a  problem with semantic? Just heard it could be an issue…

and on and on…

Starting to feel like nothing about the newest latest greatest is very good.

Thanks for any advice.

Shannon

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: [win10] MS Accessibility Blog: what's coming in Fall Creators Update #WinTenDev #A11Y #MSFTEnable

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph