From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:53 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Check for updates issue.

This is a clean install of win 10 Pro build 15063. I deleted all partitions before install and I am having the dreaded downloading updates for days issue.
Anyone else?
Restarting the PC doesn't help. I am about to do all the regular things but was curious if others are having issues to rule out MS server problems.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

From member FreeBooter on BleepingComputer, who I definitely trust based on his track record, you might want to try his advice:

Please go to this page and download Fix Windows Update by Ramesh Kumar and save to your Desktop.
(Click on the hard drive icon with a downward arrow).

  • Extract it to your Desktop.
  • Then, double-click on the program and click the Fix Windows Update button.
  • Reboot your computer and see if it will work now.

I cannot speak to the accessibility of the utility, but since it uses "Windows 7 era" Aero type dialogs it should be.  BTW, the direct download link for the Fix Windows Update utility, in case the above noted page itself is not accessible, is http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloading-fixwu

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I will check that out. Thanks :)

On 7/22/2017 3:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
From member FreeBooter on BleepingComputer, who I definitely trust based on his track record, you might want to try his advice:

Please go to this page and download Fix Windows Update by Ramesh Kumar and save to your Desktop.
(Click on the hard drive icon with a downward arrow).

  • Extract it to your Desktop.
  • Then, double-click on the program and click the Fix Windows Update button.
  • Reboot your computer and see if it will work now.

I cannot speak to the accessibility of the utility, but since it uses "Windows 7 era" Aero type dialogs it should be.  BTW, the direct download link for the Fix Windows Update utility, in case the above noted page itself is not accessible, is http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloading-fixwu

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Well that needs .net 3.5 and the installer fails because windows update isnt working to download the files... Google searching now...

On 7/22/2017 5:31 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
I will check that out. Thanks :)
On 7/22/2017 3:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
From member FreeBooter on BleepingComputer, who I definitely trust based on his track record, you might want to try his advice:

Please go to this page and download Fix Windows Update by Ramesh Kumar and save to your Desktop.
(Click on the hard drive icon with a downward arrow).

  • Extract it to your Desktop.
  • Then, double-click on the program and click the Fix Windows Update button.
  • Reboot your computer and see if it will work now.

I cannot speak to the accessibility of the utility, but since it uses "Windows 7 era" Aero type dialogs it should be.  BTW, the direct download link for the Fix Windows Update utility, in case the above noted page itself is not accessible, is http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloading-fixwu

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

This is really irritating! I downloaded the full .net 3.5 service pack 1 .exe and windows wont run it it brings up the windows update app and asks me to download this feature witch of course fails because windows update is broke!

I just spent hours installing programs and tweaking the OS and now I have to do it all over again!

On 7/22/2017 7:10 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
Well that needs .net 3.5 and the installer fails because windows update isnt working to download the files... Google searching now...
On 7/22/2017 5:31 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
I will check that out. Thanks :)
On 7/22/2017 3:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
From member FreeBooter on BleepingComputer, who I definitely trust based on his track record, you might want to try his advice:

Please go to this page and download Fix Windows Update by Ramesh Kumar and save to your Desktop.
(Click on the hard drive icon with a downward arrow).

  • Extract it to your Desktop.
  • Then, double-click on the program and click the Fix Windows Update button.
  • Reboot your computer and see if it will work now.

I cannot speak to the accessibility of the utility, but since it uses "Windows 7 era" Aero type dialogs it should be.  BTW, the direct download link for the Fix Windows Update utility, in case the above noted page itself is not accessible, is http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloading-fixwu

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Well, I had to use DISM to emable .net 3.5 and got the tool you recomended to run now lets see if it worked! :)

On 7/22/2017 5:31 PM, Randy Barnett wrote:
I will check that out. Thanks :)
On 7/22/2017 3:33 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
From member FreeBooter on BleepingComputer, who I definitely trust based on his track record, you might want to try his advice:

Please go to this page and download Fix Windows Update by Ramesh Kumar and save to your Desktop.
(Click on the hard drive icon with a downward arrow).

  • Extract it to your Desktop.
  • Then, double-click on the program and click the Fix Windows Update button.
  • Reboot your computer and see if it will work now.

I cannot speak to the accessibility of the utility, but since it uses "Windows 7 era" Aero type dialogs it should be.  BTW, the direct download link for the Fix Windows Update utility, in case the above noted page itself is not accessible, is http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloading-fixwu

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Randy,

           First things always go first.  This is not meant to be insulting nor inflammatory, but is based on what I know of you from your own posting history.  Running SFC and/or DISM is always the first course of action when there are any peculiarities under Windows 8 or 10.

            The Wiki for this group contains a series of text tutorials I've written up, and at one point I could have sworn you've quoted.  This page specifically:

https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/wiki/Helpful-resources-and-documents-for-Windows-10-users

and this document specifically:
I hope that the tool works.  If it doesn't there are additional options that FreeBooter has offered as plans B & C, but that one is Plan A.

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I already did all that...
Dism fails because it cant connect to WU.
When I  use the source: command   to point to the usb drive that has the windows installation files and use the /limit access command to block WU DISM  says it cant find the files required to fix the issue.
I got the .net 3.5 installed useing DISM by pointing it to the usb drive with the windows installation files. This allowed me to run the fix wu tool I downloaded.
This at least has fix the issue with installing features. Waiting to see if that fixed the never ending downloading updates issue.

I have 23 failed updates so far...

On 7/22/2017 7:46 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

        Were I you I would proceed directly to a reinstall using a fresh copy of the ISO that you download and burn just before the install.  Do not use the one you used previously.

        I have yet to encounter a fresh installation with the degree of corruption that yours (the one right now) clearly has.  If you're having problems with SFC and DISM on a fresh Windows 10 installation I'd try a second fresh installation with fresh bootable media.  Something's just not right here, a fact of which you are more than well aware.  I'm just stating it so that if anyone else finds themselves in your shoes that it's one of the few occasions where I'd go straight to a second fresh installation.

         If this were a situation where you'd been using the machine for months and there were, as a result, a lot of other factors to consider I would give completely different advice.

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.a
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

SFC comes back clean... And WU is the only issue as far as I can tell. The DISM issues were all WU related.
Might give it a few days before I commit to hours of reinstalling apps and signing into everything and having to reauthorize my computer with my bank and credit card sites.

BTW: reinstalling windows is easier than it ever was but now with all the security paranoia It takes forever to authorize and verify and sign in to everything we use on the web nowadays! Especially with some of the not so accessible financial sites...
On 7/22/2017 8:13 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I forgot to ask. I cant get Jaws or Narrator to read the list box that has the pending updates. I am pretty sure Jaws read it before.

[...]

I can't answer JAWS/Narrator and pending updates questions simply because I've never dealt with both at the same time.  Hopefully someone else will have and will jump in.

I know what you mean about dealing with reinstalling a raft of application programs, customizing web browsers, etc.  I will say with regard to the web browsers that I have come to love and rely on the sync feature where you have to log in to the browser itself, but it will then save every detail about how you've set the thing up in the cloud and will reload same on any machine you might use where you log in to that browser.  When you log out it's as though you were never there (except if someone wants to go to great lengths to dig into the machine).   I've loved this even when I need to do an uninstall/reinstall for a specific web browser.  It saves quite a bit of effort after the fact.

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

I was just wanting to know if anyone else can see the pending updates in the list box where it says downloading updates 0%
Yes that is great for alot of the web things. :) This machine is not on the business network yet so I will wait and see what happens. You know how these things can fix themselves once in a wile. But this has to be resolved before it goes on the business network. Witch hopefully wont require a full reinstall. :)

On 7/22/2017 9:09 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

            Did this ever iron itself out?  (With a lot of assistance from you, of course.  Don't we all wish for a time when these things literally iron out by themselves?)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

No, I am going to have to do a clean install with fresh media... But Life is in the way right now. :)
Got a nasty surprise when I pulled the cheap PVC shower surround out to replace it in my bathroom. It had been leaking and the wall behind is rotten and moldy and they left old wallboard and paper in the wall so mice decided to make a nest in there too! Nasty. I have to tear out everything includeing the tub. And start over with a whole new shower stall and replace all the rot and clean out all the mold and mouse waste! :)

Only had this house for 3 rs and this is the Second major repair do to water damage. Buyer beware! :) LOL

On 7/24/2017 8:31 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Ra.ndy,

            Did this ever iron itself out?  (With a lot of assistance from you, of course.  Don't we all wish for a time when these things literally iron out by themselves?)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

Well, After running the windows update tool for the third time I have graduated to initializing updates 0%. :)
Maybe in another week I will have some updates installed! :)

Not looking forward to re-authorizing and reinstalling everything...

Any ideas before I go down that long tedious road?

On 7/24/2017 8:31 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Ra.ndy,

            Did this ever iron itself out?  (With a lot of assistance from you, of course.  Don't we all wish for a time when these things literally iron out by themselves?)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Randy,

My normal progression (some of which you may have already done):

     1. Run SFC, DISM, & CHKDSK.
     2. Reset from Settings, Update & Security, Recovery Pane using "Keep My Files" (will require reinstallation of apps and desktop apps)
     3. Reset, but using the "wipe/keep nothing" option.
     4. Reinstall using a freshly downloaded copy of the latest ISO burned to bootable media.

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Shannon

Brian,

I tried to follow the instructions you posted to Randy about running the SFC and the DISM to fix odd stuff on this Win 10 unit.

The Command prompt just will not behave as you described in the word document.

When I use the Power Shell option this is the error I am given.

What could I have done wrong? I used the JAWS history to get this information.

Did the command change in the newest Win 10 versions?

Thank You

Shannon

--------

SFC/scannow
SFC/scannow : The term ’SFC/scannow’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable

program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1
+ SFC/scannow
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (SFC/scannow:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

           First things always go first.  This is not meant to be insulting nor inflammatory, but is based on what I know of you from your own posting history.  Running SFC and/or DISM is always the first course of action when there are any peculiarities under Windows 8 or 10.

            The Wiki for this group contains a series of text tutorials I've written up, and at one point I could have sworn you've quoted.  This page specifically:

https://win10.groups.io/g/win10/wiki/Helpful-resources-and-documents-for-Windows-10-users

and this document specifically:

I hope that the tool works.  If it doesn't there are additional options that FreeBooter has offered as plans B & C, but that one is Plan A.

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Shannon,

         You're omitting the required space between the command, in this case SFC, and the switch, in this case /SCANNOW.  There must always be at least one space (there can be more) between the command and each of its switches.  On the DISM command make sure that you have a space before each of the switches.