Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life support, no longer a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive #w10mobile

Hi all,

For Windows 10 Mobile users: take a look at the following article, as it should give you something to think about as you transition to other platforms:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-10-mobile-features-and-hardware-are-not-focus-anymore

As for discussion of Windows 10 Mobile on this forum cluster, that’s up to you all to decide in the future.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sadam Ahmed

Thanks for this Joseph.

Can't say I'm surprised.

Between iOS and Android Windows mobile wasn't doing well at all.

Add to that lak of apps, and the writing was on the wall.

Best,

Sadam Ahmed

On 9/10/2017 12:45 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi all,

For Windows 10 Mobile users: take a look at the following article, as it should give you something to think about as you transition to other platforms:

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-10-mobile-features-and-hardware-are-not-focus-anymore

As for discussion of Windows 10 Mobile on this forum cluster, that’s up to you all to decide in the future.

Cheers,

Joseph

-- 
Sadam Ahmed 

JAWS certified, 2017  

iOS certified, 2012   

iPhone  

+ 61 435 892 944

FaceTime, iMessage & email  

sadam@... 

heather albright <kd5cbl@...>

Good, I myself know  no one who has a windows phone. That is a smart move! Heather

Heather Albright
Blindness is a characteristic, not a handicap!" Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@...

Sent: Sunday, October 8, 2017 8:45 PM
To: win10@win10.groups.io
Subject: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life support, nolonger a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive #W10Mobile

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

Well windows mobile never worked for ms users though I know a friend that uses a windows phone.

Nokia briefly had this but it just never caught on over ios and android and ms has decided instead of pushing on that it will simply write apps for those oses.

I think it only got to 1% or something ever in market shares and well.

lets face it, apple releases news models every year and android we seem to get at least 4-10 models out every month or 2 so the competition just doesn't work.

I do wander what will happen to those that still use a windows mobile phone though.

I know that they are no longer sold I think anyway.

On 9/10/2017 4:10 p.m., heather albright wrote:
Good, I myself know no one who has a windows phone. That is a smart move! Heather

Heather Albright
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@gmail.com

Subject: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life support, nolonger a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive #W10Mobile

Hi all,

Cheers,
Joseph

Hmmm its interesting on the names of thes systems.

I mean if ms dropped the word windows in core os which seems to be the next version.

We have chrome os for chrome, and android for those device.

then ios and macos.

I mean with the trend going like this it makes sence for pcs and other ms things to run cos.

I actually like the name core os to windows.

Good, I myself know no one who has a windows phone. That is a smart move! Heather

Heather Albright
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@gmail.com

Hi all,

Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,
It'll still have Windows branding underneath.
For those who don't know what Shaun and I are talking about: we are talking about Project Andromeda, otherwise known as Windows Core OS. It is very early to talk about specifics, but suffice to say that the ultimate goal is to make it easier (at least that's what existing speculations are saying) to produce products and editions easily. The current layers of Windows operating system (and its architecture) is too broad for a single thread, so I may need to reserve multiple threads to talk about each layer.
This also allows me to remind new family members: you'll find that some threads here are a bit technical than most mailing lists, with one or two of them being quite technical and reserved for resident developers. Don't freak out when I say things such as OneCore, ntoskrnl.exe, hardware abstraction, subsystems and what not; I'll provide definitions of what I'm saying in those posts where these terms are used a lot. Also, I'm intentionally letting people discuss deep technical things because I want you all to get a glimpse of behind the scenes work. To give you an example of what I mean by "technical talk", consider the below notes on Windows 10 branches:
At the moment there are hundreds of branches at Microsoft servers that house Windows 10 source code of varying maturity. These branches address everything from releases, maintenance, new experiments, unification work and what not. Of these, there are four branches that I and some Windows Insiders track:
* rs2_release: this branch is the current branch of Windows 10, the Creators Update.
* rs3_release: the Fall Creators Update branch.
* rs_prerelease: Redstone 4 previews.
* feature2: I think it should better be called rs2_release_mob, but this is the branch that houses Windows 10 Mobile 1709 code.
You may think that Fall Creators Update will be coming to Windows 10 Mobile. The answer: no. Think of it this way: if Windows 10 Mobile Version 1709 is here, then why is it that important features didn't make it to smartphones? That's because Version 1709 that'll be "shipping" to Windows 10 Mobile is actually an enhanced version of Version 1703, meaning the underlying source code is really Version 1703 (Creators Update).
The reason I'm answering the Mobile 1709 question with another question is to foster the thinking process, and that's something that will differentiate this forum cluster from others. I find that the more people think on their own, the better in fostering more meaningful dialogue and provide more accurate answers. And "thinking" isn't just copying someone else.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Sunday, October 8, 2017 8:35 PM
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life support, nolonger a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive #W10Mobile

I mean if ms dropped the word windows in core os which seems to be the next version.

then ios and macos.

I mean with the trend going like this it makes sence for pcs and other ms things to run cos.

Good, I myself know no one who has a windows phone. That is a smart
move! Heather

Heather Albright
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@gmail.com

Subject: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life
support, nolonger a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive
#W10Mobile

Hi all,

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-10-mobile-features-an
d-hardware-are-not-focus-anymore

Cheers,
Joseph

Mr. Ed

Hi Joseph,

All I can say about that is, wow.

Mr. Ed

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2017 8:46 PM
Subject: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life support, no longer a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive #W10Mobile

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

Randy Barnett <randy@...>

So, Does this mean my desktop will stop having  phone specific items ? hopefully all the weird things they added trying to emulate IOS and Android will go away now I never liked         the idea of trying to make one OS work on everything.

On 10/8/2017 8:56 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
For those who don't know what Shaun and I are talking about: we are talking about Project Andromeda, otherwise known as Windows Core OS. It is very early to talk about specifics, but suffice to say that the ultimate goal is to make it easier (at least that's what existing speculations are saying) to produce products and editions easily. The current layers of Windows operating system (and its architecture) is too broad for a single thread, so I may need to reserve multiple threads to talk about each layer.
This also allows me to remind new family members: you'll find that some threads here are a bit technical than most mailing lists, with one or two of them being quite technical and reserved for resident developers. Don't freak out when I say things such as OneCore, ntoskrnl.exe, hardware abstraction, subsystems and what not; I'll provide definitions of what I'm saying in those posts where these terms are used a lot. Also, I'm intentionally letting people discuss deep technical things because I want you all to get a glimpse of behind the scenes work. To give you an example of what I mean by "technical talk", consider the below notes on Windows 10 branches:
At the moment there are hundreds of branches at Microsoft servers that house Windows 10 source code of varying maturity. These branches address everything from releases, maintenance, new experiments, unification work and what not. Of these, there are four branches that I and some Windows Insiders track:
* rs2_release: this branch is the current branch of Windows 10, the Creators Update.
* feature2: I think it should better be called rs2_release_mob, but this is the branch that houses Windows 10 Mobile 1709 code.
You may think that Fall Creators Update will be coming to Windows 10 Mobile. The answer: no. Think of it this way: if Windows 10 Mobile Version 1709 is here, then why is it that important features didn't make it to smartphones? That's because Version 1709 that'll be "shipping" to Windows 10 Mobile is actually an enhanced version of Version 1703, meaning the underlying source code is really Version 1703 (Creators Update).
The reason I'm answering the Mobile 1709 question with another question is to foster the thinking process, and that's something that will differentiate this forum cluster from others. I find that the more people think on their own, the better in fostering more meaningful dialogue and provide more accurate answers. And "thinking" isn't just copying someone else.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life support, nolonger a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive #W10Mobile

then ios and macos.

move! Heather

Heather Albright
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@gmail.com

#W10Mobile

Hi all,

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-10-mobile-features-an

Cheers,
Joseph

--
Sincerely: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

Hi,
No, they'll stay, and MS won't stop adding other features inspired by other mobile operating systems.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2017 10:57 AM

So, Does this mean my desktop will stop having phone specific items ? hopefully all the weird things they added trying to emulate IOS and Android will go away now I never liked the idea of trying to make one OS work on everything.

On 10/8/2017 8:56 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf
Of Shaun Everiss
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life
#W10Mobile

then ios and macos.

move! Heather

Heather Albright
ham call sign:
kd5cbl
e-mail:
kd5cbl@gmail.com

#W10Mobile

Hi all,

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-windows-10-mobile-features-a
n

Cheers,
Joseph

--
Sincerely: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526

I thought Windows Mobile and Windows Phone were dead a long time ago.

I assume that refers specifically to phones and doesn’t mean they will stop tablet support in Windows 10.

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mr. Ed
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2017 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life support, no longer a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive #W10Mobile

Hi Joseph,

All I can say about that is, wow.

Mr. Ed

From: win10@win10.groups.io [mailto:win10@win10.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, October 08, 2017 8:46 PM
Subject: [win10] Windows Central: Windows 10 Mobile is on life support, no longer a focus at Microsoft according to a top executive #W10Mobile

Hi all,

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 11:58 am, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
I thought Windows Mobile and Windows Phone were dead a long time ago.
They have been.  I made this comment on another forum where this came up this morning:  

"I find it amusing that people seem to be waiting for someone from Microsoft to make a pronouncement that puts the proverbial "nail in the coffin."

The marketplace did that a long, long time ago."

--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind.
   ~ Somerset Maugham