For Version 1809 users: Version 1909 is on its way #windowsupdatestatus

Hi all,

Take note of the following:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-1909

Which was updated (as of December 5, 2019) to say:

Beginning today, we will slowly start the phased process to automatically initiate a feature update for devices running the October 2018 Update (Windows 10, version 1809) Home and Pro editions, keeping those devices supported and receiving the monthly updates that are critical to device security and ecosystem health. We are starting this rollout process several months in advance of the end of service date to provide adequate time for a smooth update process.

This means folks using Version 1809 (October 2018 Update/build 17763) will see “Feature update to Windows 10, Version 1909” show up on Windows Update.

Cheers,

joseph

M.E.N. <magpie.mn@...>

My Asus laptop was still on version 1809 and two days ago, the feature update for 1909 showed up. I installed with no problems whatsoever. It did take slightly longer than updating the desktop which had been on 1903. This may be, in my opinion, one of the smoothest feature upgrades I have installed.

Marie

On 12/6/2019 5:31 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Paul Hunt <prhunt1@...>

Good morning. What do you mean that the feature showed up? Did it just happen or did you check for updates?

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 09:32 AM, M.E.N. wrote:
It did take slightly longer than updating the desktop which had been on 1903. This may be, in my opinion, one of the smoothest feature upgrades I have installed.
And this makes perfect sense.  The 1809 to 1903 Feature Update was a typical one, and those always tend to take some time to install.  The version 1903 to 1909 Feature Update was really much more like a typical cumulative update within a given version of Windows 10 than a true Feature Update.  So going from 1903 to 1909 was, compared to usual, pretty trivial.  But going from 1809 to 1909 still requires all of the changes that came with 1903, that your system had not yet had applied, to be applied as part of the process as well.

I have yet to have any clients call me about problems with a 1903 to 1909 update.

        ~ Madonna

george b <gbmagoo@...>

Hi,

How do I find out what version I am running I am using windows 10 pro

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 12:04 PM, george b wrote:
How do I find out what version I am running
For any edition of Windows 10, the winver command will bring up a dialog with your Version and Build information for the machine you're using.

The easiest way to run it is to hit the Windows Key and immediately type, winver, then hit Enter.  The dialog box will then appear.   For most questions the build number, along with the dot number that goes with it, is just as important, sometimes more so, than the Version number, which can be figured out based on the Build Number.  It always makes sense to report both, though, so that an assistant doesn't need to try to work backward to determine the version.

        ~ Madonna

M.E.N. <magpie.mn@...>

I did check for updates and it downloaded so I then installed it.

Marie

On 12/6/2019 6:44 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:
[...]

Mike B.

Hi George,

Open the Run dialogue with the keystroke, Windows key + R, type, winver, and press enter.

[...]

Thanks mike and go seahawks

[...]

well it does help microsoftt pushed the 1909 update files in october, so  in september and october there were longer startup times to update.

The only thing I noticed after windows 1909 update was that on my home systems, the system started up as usual and was fine.

In my pro system, the system had to reboot a couple times then started normally.

On that note though, microsoft should be congradulated for not having any issues for the last month to anyone.

That may change next week but right now there are none.

Also, no optional cus last month.

I think if we can keep it all down to 1 update a month and no optional cus we should be fine.

Also, while I know there are updates every 6 months, I am all for an lts version where there is an update once a year, or whatever.