windows update

Heather <kd5cbl@...>

Hello, Microsoft was not a help today when I called to ask how to set my updates to let me choose weather or not to install them!
I have jaws 17 latest, win10  home on a desktop.
 I am also running windows classic shell so win10 looks like winseven!

So can anyone give me step by step directions to have windows notify me of updates and I can choose weather or not to install them?
Also, can we still hide updates and does windows ten have important updates verses optional updates?
  They did a direct connect and they wanted me to go to settings but, it was not threw the windows start and they did not know the key stroke to get me their!
And the windows i was not the place I needed to be apparently.
Also, is there away to put my notification in the system tray so I will know that windows is wanting to install updates?
Thank you very much!
Heather
National Federation Of The Blind:
www.nfb.org
contact:
halbright1981@...
tell:
512-680-3985

Nick Dotson <nickdotson@...>

Heather:

I’0m a lurker, afraid to ask my “dumb questions” about upgrading from Windows 7 Pro 32-bit.

However, in case you accessed Microsoft’s “regular” or even $149.00 per year support, I’m going to recommend their Tech Support for Visual Disabilities number: 800-936-5900.  They’ve only let me down once, unwilling to help with a Microsoft Exchange Outlook 2007 problem—but it was a “Bangalore Bill” who may not have been adequately knowledgeable about Screen Readers Etc…

[...]

Tyler Wood

Hi there,
Windows update is indeed located in settings.
Hitting windows I, followed by the end key to go to update and security and then hitting enter on windows update.
No, windows automatically installs updates - it also gives you a nice way of sscheduling when you want a restart and waits a few days before it does it if you don't select a time, unlike previous versions.
hope I've been of some help.

On 2016-03-02 8:38 PM, Nick Dotson wrote:

Heather:

[...]

Vince Kodikal (Murphy & Associates) <v-vakodi@...>

Heather,

Here is a possible solution:

1. Click the Windows key + R on the keyboard to open the Run dialog box

2. Type gpedit.msc and hit Enter

3. In the Group Policy dialog box go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

4. Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

5. Double-click on Configure Automatic Updates to open its configuration box. Select Enabled, and then from the available Options, from the drop-down menu, select 2 Notify for download and notify for install. Click on Apply and Exit. Restart your computer.

6. Windows key + I to open Settings dialog

7. Select Update and Security

8. Click on Advanced Options

9. Check the box next to Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows

11. Press Ctrl + right arrow key to navigate to the Windows Update list to review the updates

All your updates will appear here when available.

Please let me know if this option works

Vince Kodikal | Senior UX Architect, Compliance

v-vakodi@... | +1 (206) 601-7570

[...]

T. Civitello <tcivi31@...>

I don’t believe that is an option with Windows 10. Tom

Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2016 5:52 PM

[...]

Isaac <bigikemusic@...>

you could also disable the bits service, the windows update service, and the windows update orchestrater service, and then enable them when you want updates