Mixed Reality

Larry Higgins

Listers,

Just a short question, and I hope the answer will be as simple as the question <smile>.

I see a thing called mixed reality in my apps list, and it just doesn't sound like anything I would ever use, especially as a blind user. It also sounds to me like something that might take up space that I might be able to put to better use, not to mention being a possible unnecessary taxing of my CPU, possibly running in the background at some level.

Am I at all on the right  track, or am I being a bit presumptuous? The ultimate question is simply if I can do without it, and would I be better off without it?

Any observations would be appreciated,

Larry

Hi Larry,

If you Google Mixed Reality Portal, the following Microsoft support page comesup where more is explained about this app:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4041252/windows-10-use-mixed-reality-portal#:~:text=Mixed%20Reality%20Portal%20is%20the,Windows%20Mixed%20Reality%20Ultra%20only).

It seems to be a very small app, I don't think anything runs in the background because when I ran the app from the start menu, it said "Welcome to Mixed Reality Portal" and there was only a "Get Started" button.
I also think you could uninstall this with out any problems except that it seems to be a Microsoft stock app so whenever you update yourcomputer it will most likely be back.
I for one don't bother with getting rid of these apps, as I said, many of them come back and none of them take up a lot of disk space which, for most people, is not an issue these days unless maybe if you have some sort of 64 Gb tablet.
If you want to uninstall this one you can also uninstal the Xbox stuff, Tips, Snip and Sketch and a bunch of other small apps which are included with Windows, but why bother.

Just a short question, and I hope the answer will be as simple as the question <smile>.

I see a thing called mixed reality in my apps list, and it just doesn't
sound like anything I would ever use, especially as a blind user. It
also sounds to me like something that might take up space that I might
be able to put to better use, not to mention being a possible
unnecessary taxing of my CPU, possibly running in the background at some
level.

Am I at all on the right  track, or am I being a bit presumptuous? The
ultimate question is simply if I can do without it, and would I be
better off without it?

Any observations would be appreciated,

Larry

Larry Higgins

Well Sieghard, I remember when I got a new PC at the time with Windows 8, besides feeling rather overwhelmed by the design of the interface, at least in comparison to Windows XP, I also couldn't believe the number of little apps that came with the OS. I just didn't think I had a real need for them, and proceeded to almost recklessly uninstall just about every one of them. I also couldn't believe just how easy it was to do so. They obviously didn't appear to be essential, just more bloatware to contend with. But like you say, as in most cases today, space here isn't really that much of an issue.

I actually decided to uninstall Groove Music the other day because after upgrading, .mp3 files were being opened with that program rather than Winamp, so I just kinda got mad... And you are probably right, it will most likely be back with the next upgrade anyway, so about the only reason to get rid of it might be so that it isn't in the way.

Oh well Sieghard, thanks for enlightening me on the matter of all  these questionable apps.

Stay safe, and stay well,

[...]

Hi Larry, k

To me these apps aren't quite the same as bloatware and as I said, I don't bother uninstalling them. As for selecting something like Winamp as the default player for MP3 files can be accomplished very easily simply by making it the default in Settings.

Just a short question, and I hope the answer will be as simple as the question <smile>.

I see a thing called mixed reality in my apps list, and it just doesn't
sound like anything I would ever use, especially as a blind user. It
also sounds to me like something that might take up space that I might
be able to put to better use, not to mention being a possible
unnecessary taxing of my CPU, possibly running in the background at some
level.

Am I at all on the right  track, or am I being a bit presumptuous? The
ultimate question is simply if I can do without it, and would I be
better off without it?

Any observations would be appreciated,

Larry

Larry Higgins

Sieghard, one can agree or disagree on the value or classification of a particular app, or apps.. All I am saying concerning any app for carrying out any function as one's chosen default is that if one has chosen said program for any purpose, it should remain the same even after a Windows 10 upgrade. The very first thing I did was go to the properties of an .mp3 file and change the default back to Winamp. The uninstall was more of a reaction than anything else. Maybe I'll  live to regret it, maybe I wont, but I really don't think I'll be pining for Groove Music any time soon. It wont be missed.