Windows 10 development briefing: Version 20H2 is a feature packed update #wintendev

Hi all,

For people new to this forum: occasionally a Windows 10 development briefing shows up, designed to give you an overview of what’s coming in future Windows 10 releases.

There hasn’t been a lot to report, until now. With beta channel Windows Insiders receiving build 19042.421 (20H2), things that were being tested by dev channel Windows Insiders came to upcoming 20H2 build. Coupled with latest happenings with Windows 10 X and other development, I felt it is time to give you an update on Windows 10 development.

Windows 10 development briefing for July 2020

Build: 19042.421 (20H2 beta), 20175 (dev)

20H2 and beyond:

General:

  • 20H2: Version 20H2 (internally shown as Version 2009) will be a minor feature update, with minor changes from dev channel coming to a computer near you.

Windows Shell (Start menu, Action Center, Taskbar):

  • Start menu has seen design changes.
  • Action Center: “tablet mode” action will be removed if your computer is not equipped with a touchscreen. This resolves an issue where you can find yourself accidentally using tablet mode (for screen reader users, unless you are using a touch-capable computer, you can always count on Windows not using tablet mode).
  • No notification if you decide to switch between desktop and tablet mode on touch-capable devices.
  • Taskbar icons will be tailored based on how you want to use your computer i.e. will show icons specific to tasks. This is destined for new accounts.

Multitasking:

  • You can now press Alt+Tab to move between Microsoft Edge tabs (Edge 83 dev or later). You can revert back to classic behavior where you can switch among programs, not tabs.

Build 20175 specific:

  • Optimize Drives will remember the last time a drive was optimized.
  • Improvements to WSL 2.

I expect the next briefing will be sent in September.

Bill White <billwhite92701@...>

On Friday, July 24, Joseph wrote:

  • You can now press Alt+Tab to move between Microsoft Edge tabs (Edge 83 dev or later). You can revert back to classic behavior where you can switch among programs, not tabs.

Any idea how one would revert back to classic behavior once this change takes place. I don't want to get caught out not knowing how to switch back to programs from Edge tabs.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

All I can say at this time is that there is an option (a combo box, in fact) that will let you choose what happens when you press Alt+Tab (found in Settings/System/Multitasking), and one of them will let you switch between open windows. I won’t provide exact details until Windows Insiders tell me 20H2 is stable, at which point the forum will switch to 20H2 prep phase (this is also because things can change without notice).

[...]

Jason White

I personally like the design of Mac OS and the Linux/GNOME desktop in this respect:

  • Alt+Tab (or Command-Tab on Mac) switches between applications.
  • Alt+Grave-Accent (the key above Tab), or Command-Grave-Accent on Mac, switches among windows within a single application.

Under Windows 10, I have experimented with the Windows+Tab switching feature, which also offers a timeline of recently accessed files. I don’t find myself using it frequently, but that’s probably more a reflection of my work habits than of the usefulness of the feature.