Neowin: Microsoft starts force-upgrading users on Windows 10 1903 to 1909 #WinTenOld #windowsupdatestatus

Hi all,

Before I begin, I hereby notify you that I’m in vacation. I’ll officially hand over the list to Austin Pinto for a while starting November 10, 2020 once November cumulative update release notes are sent. I’ll return briefly on December 8, 2020 to monitor December cumulative update discussion, and then return to admin duties fully with 2021 admin greeting in January.

If you are using Version 1903 (May 2019 Update, which should be not many of us now), you’ll find yourself running 1909 (November 2019 Update) soon as noted in the following Neowin article:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-starts-force-upgrading-users-on-windows-10-1903-to-1909

As noted by various tech presses, upgrading to 1909 makes more sense as 1903 and 1909 are really the same thing with certain things enabled in the latter. I expect folks using 1909 will receive 2020 feature updates soon, either as an optional update (now) or automatically (six months from now).

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

To be perfectly honest, if I were someone still on Version 1903 right now, I would not wait for a "half measure" update to a Windows 10 version that is 2 full feature updates behind the current release.

This is a situation where it makes abundant sense to go straight to the latest version, as Version 2004 has been stable for quite a while and Version 20H2 is a trivial update to 2004.

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

        ~ Madonna

Sarah k Alawami

Well this is going to be fun. Tomorrow I'm going to try and update a remote machine from 300 miles away to 2004. It's running 1909. I might wait, or not. I hope this will be easy ish. I agree though, try the repair install trick first.