Important notice from head list representative: subdomain-based email addresses are now used #AdminNotice #groupsio

Dear current and potential Windows 10 users, members of this forum and its subgroups, Microsoft staff and others,

The following is not an April Fools joke:

Today Groups.IO has rolled out subdomains for various groups, mostly for groups like ours where they have subgroups. This opens up some interesting possibilities and issues, the most important one being the address shown on “to:” field for many email clients and may affect filtering.

The changes are:

·         Website address: in addition to the current address (groups.io/g/win10), we now have win10.groups.io.

·         Email addresses for subgroups: in addition to win10+subgroupname@groups.io, we now have subgroupname@win10.groups.io.

The complete list of addresses are:

·         Parent group (this forum): win10@win10.groups.io. The convention is to use main@win10.groups.io, but win10@win10.groups.io would appeal best for those who are filtering messages and for consistency (unless you all say otherwise, we plan to keep this).

·         Contacting leadership team: win10+owner@win10.groups.io. The old address (win10+owner@groups.io) will still work. Also, starting today, posts to Win10 forum by those not subscribed will not be rejected.

·         List Matters and Administration Council: listmatters@win10.groups.io. I’d like to ask you if posts by those outside of this subgroup should be sent to that subgroup or not (the listmatters subgroup is the place for discussing list policies, proposals and so forth).

·         Various subgroups: insiders@win10.groups.io (Windows Insiders), mobile@win10.groups.io (Windows 10 Mobile, unofficially nicknamed ‘LumiVIa”), jaws@win10.groups.io (JAWS users using Windows 10; would like to ask over there if ElBraille topics should be allowed there), nvda@win10.groups.io (NVDA users using Windows 10). The old addresses for these subgroups will continue to work.

These changes are mostly for those who are filtering email addresses. As noted earlier, old addresses will continue to work.

Also:

·         Photos are now disabled.

·         Based on feedback regarding subgroups, the leadership team is thinking about toughening subgroup creation procedure. We’ll still require two-thirds affirmative vote, but acceptable reasons for creating subgroups might become stricter from now on. The existing subgroups will not be abolished unless members of the subgroup(s) and this forum, by two-thirds affirmative vote from both sides, agree that a given subgroup is no longer needed. As for acceptable reasons, I’d like to request comment from you all (please send your comments to win10+owner@groups.io, or if you are a member of the listmatters subgroup, please do post them there). Also, during the course of reading your comments, I realized that we (members and leadership team, including I) didn’t communicate the concept of subgroups effectively, and for this, I’d like to apologize.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Joseph,

          Not that I've used them, in any form yet, but are you saying that attachments of images are now being disabled?   If so, I would very strongly encourage reconsideration of that decision.

          I know that, given the venue, these would not be used frequently, but I have taught visually-impaired or blind clients how to take either windows shots or full screen shots so that they could send those to assistants.  There are many occasions where the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is an understatement when the person offering assistance can see and a screen shot reveals all.

Brian

Hi,

Attachments are still allowed (will need to test if it extends to images).

          Not that I've used them, in any form yet, but are you saying that attachments of images are now being disabled?   If so, I would very strongly encourage reconsideration of that decision.

          I know that, given the venue, these would not be used frequently, but I have taught visually-impaired or blind clients how to take either windows shots or full screen shots so that they could send those to assistants.  There are many occasions where the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is an understatement when the person offering assistance can see and a screen shot reveals all.

Brian

Arianna Sepulveda

I think it will be way less confusing and easier to filter messages if they were all coming from one standard type of email address. For example, subdomain dollar windows 10.groups.io or whatever the heck it is, instead of two different options, The second of which is Windows10.subdomain name at groups.io.

On Apr 1, 2016, at 6:18 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

Attachments are still allowed (will need to test if it extends to images).

          Not that I've used them, in any form yet, but are you saying that attachments of images are now being disabled?   If so, I would very strongly encourage reconsideration of that decision.

          I know that, given the venue, these would not be used frequently, but I have taught visually-impaired or blind clients how to take either windows shots or full screen shots so that they could send those to assistants.  There are many occasions where the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is an understatement when the person offering assistance can see and a screen shot reveals all.

Brian

Nick Dotson <nickdotson@...>

Joseph, well done; bravo!  An administrator with a sense of humor—a seemingly necessary and valuable quality.

I’ve never bumped into the “io” suffix before. Am I right in thinking that this is one of the new “domain names/types?” that were added a few years ago?  Does it stand for “international Organization?” or what?

Thanks!

[...]

MJ Williams <matthewjwilliams101@...>

.IO = Imbeciles online! No no, joke joke. <smile>

At 14:58 02/04/2016, you wrote:
[...]

MJ Williams offered: ".IO = Imbeciles online! No no, joke joke. <smile>"

Like anyone who's lead a lively online existence needs to be told!!   We need a dot N I O domain that enforces the "No" part!

The reality, that it stands for a domain in the British Indian Ocean Territory, is so much less amusing.

Brian