Windows Blog: the future of Internet Explorer on Windows 10 is in Microsoft Edge (effective June 15, 2022) #ADVISORY #chromiumedge

Hi,

The following post is considered a critical advisory:

A few years ago, Microsoft announced that various modern websites, including Microsoft 365 services, will not support Internet Explorer. Observers were wondering about what would happen to IE itself, and the following blog post clarifies this:

The future of Internet Explorer on Windows 10 is in Microsoft Edge | Windows Experience Blog

In short:

  • Support for Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10 will end on June 15, 2022. This affects Version 20H2 or later.
  • Microsoft advises IE users to switch to Microsoft Edge (Chromium Edge, that is).

The Win10 Forum for Screen Reader Users leadership will take the following steps:

  1. For now IE support notice is considered an advisory. If you are still using Internet Explorer, PLEASE SWITCH TO AT LEAST Microsoft Edge.
  2. A notice will be sent shortly after Version 21H2 is made available to release preview Windows Insiders, urging everyone to switch to Chromium Edge or other browsers. From that point on, any posts dealing with Internet Explorer will focus on moving to supported web browsers.
  3. Discussion surrounding Internet Explorer will cease on this forum around this time next year – either 30 days after Version 22H1 feature update is released or on June 14, 2022 (June Update Tuesday), whichever happens earlier.

Also, discussion surrounding legacy Microsoft Edge will come to an end on July 13, 2021 (old Edge is no longer supported).

g melconian <gmelconian619@...>

Thanks very much for the post.

[...]

Benz

Hello,

I use IE exclusively for reading Daisy books by opening the .xml file. IE renders the output without issue and I am able to navigate the book in browse mode using NVDA. I can not get Edge to render the .xml. When Win10 no longer supports IE will it still be available on Win10 or any ideas on loading xml in Edge?

Thanks,
Benz

<https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/05/19/the-future-of-intern
[...]

Although not for certain, I guess IE will be made invisible, but any screen
reader code that interacts with IE-based controls powered by MSHTML will
continue to work (MSHTML module will not be removed). A possible workaround
for XML reading issue is using Internet Explorer mode in Edge.

Windows 10 is in Microsoft Edge (effective June 15, 2022) #ChromiumEdge
#ADVISORY

[...]

J.G

Hello,

I've been using IE exclusively to work with RSS feeds, because the experience is the most comfortable. I tried some standalone apps and addons/plugins like livemark for Firefox, but dealing with RSS is still most useful in IE in my opinion. as the blog says, I should find a replacement for IE quickly though.
So I will very appretiate any recommendation, advice, suggestion, what to use for RSS (subscribing, reading etc) when IE would "die".
thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

When will windows 10 completely remove IE?

I've been using IE exclusively to work with RSS feeds, because the experience is the most comfortable. I tried some standalone apps and addons/plugins like livemark for Firefox, but dealing with RSS is still most useful in IE in my opinion. as the blog says, I should find a replacement for IE quickly though.
So I will very appretiate any recommendation, advice, suggestion, what to use for RSS (subscribing, reading etc) when IE would "die".
thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

Hi,

I think some years down the road.

When will windows 10 completely remove IE?

I've been using IE exclusively to work with RSS feeds, because the experience is the most comfortable. I tried some standalone apps and addons/plugins like livemark for Firefox, but dealing with RSS is still most useful in IE in my opinion. as the blog says, I should find a replacement for IE quickly though.
So I will very appretiate any recommendation, advice, suggestion, what to use for RSS (subscribing, reading etc) when IE would "die".
thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

Benz

Hi,

I currently use the NVDA addon called Read Feeds which opens feed articles in default browser. I have used Webbie RSS Reader then Thunderbird ,which allows subscription and reading of feeds.

take care,
Benz

On May 19, 2021 6:52 PM, J.G wrote:
Hello,
I've been using IE exclusively to work with RSS feeds, because the experience is the most comfortable. I tried some standalone apps and addons/plugins like livemark for Firefox, but dealing with RSS is still most useful in IE in my opinion. as the blog says, I should find a replacement for IE quickly though.
So I will very appretiate any recommendation, advice, suggestion, what to use for RSS (subscribing, reading etc) when IE would "die".
thanks.
best regards,
Jožef

Hope Williamson

I myself use Miniflux for RSS feeds, and I'm very happy with it!!
https://miniflux.app

    There's a hosted version at https://reader.miniflux.app.

    Keep in mind they archive your unread items every 60 days though.
Thus the reason I switched to an actual instance.

On May 19, 2021 6:52 PM, J.G wrote:
Hello,

I've been using IE exclusively to work with RSS feeds, because the
experience is the most comfortable. I tried some standalone apps and
addons/plugins like livemark for Firefox, but dealing with RSS is
still most useful in IE in my opinion. as the blog says, I should
find a replacement for IE quickly though.
So I will very appretiate any recommendation, advice, suggestion,
what to use for RSS (subscribing, reading etc) when IE would "die".
thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

Louise Pfau

It looks like I should’ve asked about the podcast rss feeds I like in this topic rather than creating a new one.

Louise

J.G

Hello,

how did you instal it on windows or did you use linux? I ask it, because I cannot find .exe file.

thanks.

regards,
Jožef