Version 21H1 rollout: expanding to more devices, if using older releases, get ready to upgrade upon request #windowsupdatestatus #WinTen21H1

Hi all,

As implied from yesterday’s “update question” thread, Microsoft Docs page for Windows 10 Version 21H1 release page was updated yesterday to say:

Windows 10, version 21H1 is available for users with devices running Windows 10, version 20H2 and Windows 10, version 2004, who manually seek to “Check for updates” via Windows Update.

We are now starting a new phase in our rollout. Using the machine learning training we have done so far, we are increasing the number of devices selected to update automatically to Windows 10, version 21H1 that are approaching end of servicing. We will continue to train our machine learning through all phases to deliver a smooth update experience.

In other words, you’ll be offered “feature update to Windows 10, version 21H1” via Windows Update if you:

  • Manually check for updates, in which case it will be shown as an optional update.
  • Are using versions such as 1909 or 2004, as consumer support for old releases have ended (1909 and earlier) or will shortly expire (2004 in December 2021).

Whatever the case might be, I recommend upgrading to 21H1; if you are using 2004 or 20H2, it will be a quick update, as you are effectively using 21H1 with features turned off, and installing 21H1 update will turn features on after a restart.

As always, the update dashboard page can be found at:

Windows 10, version 21H1 | Microsoft Docs

janet

Hi Joseph and All,

I manually checked for updates yesterday about 8PM, and my Windows Ten read I had 5 updates, so I pressed the down arrow just to hear the names of the updates, but my computer read 30 percent, so I just left it alone assuming it was downloading the updates.  I checked my computer about an hour later, and it was still downloading, and restarting.  I once again left it alone, and I checked it before I went to bed at 12:15 AM with the Laptop plugged in, and it was still downloading the updates.  When I got up this morning, finally the updates were finished downloading.  I then logged in to my Laptop using my password, and I checked which version of Windows I had, and the version of Windows Ten is still the same as I had before updating.  My current version of Windows is 20h2 and it reads the date the version was downloaded in which was March 30 2021.   I also want to mention when ever I check for updates through the start menu I press the letter c as in check for updates, it always reads pause updates for 7 more days, and now today it reads updates will resume on June 24-2021.  I have no idea what this means, as I am still trying to get used  to Windows Ten just since Jan of this year.  Can you please shed some light on this, as I find this quite confusing?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Janet

[...]

Okay, one thing at a time:

  1. Check for updates/pause for seven more days: I think you may have pressed “pause updates” button. If you see “Resume updates” button, select it.
  2. Version 20H2 is still installed: 21H1 is listed as an optional update, therefore you must click “download and install” link to initiate the upgrade process.

[...]

Loy

You can tab to a button to resume updates.

[...]

Janet, the easiest way to check for updates manually is to press Windows Key + I which takes you to Settings, now tab once into the list of Settings categories and press End which takes you to Update and Security which is the last category. Press enter to open it, press tab a couple of times and you will end up on a "Check for Updates" button.

Also, the best way to check the exact version of Windows you have is to type the word "Winver" which stands for Windows Version either after pressing Windows Key + R fr the run dialogue or simply by pressing the Windows Key which opens the Windows search field, type Winver and press enter, then if you use Jaws you can use the Jaws cursor to review the screen and exact Windows version you have.

By the way, first letter navigation does not work in Settings.

[...]

Tom K

Hi, I find its easier to hit the windows key, type in windows updates, then hit enter.  Then tab over to check for updates and hit  enter.

YTom K.

[...]

As always there are many ways to skin a cat in Windows. But strictly speaking counting the number of key presses, going through Settings is less typing. For me pressing Windows Key or Windows Key + I is the same and once I press Windows Key + I I just need two more key presses to get to Updates and Security, a press of the tab key followed by the End key.

If you only press the Windows Key you then have to at least type the entire word "Windows" and most likely at least the "U" or "Up" from Update before Jaws says "Check for updates", that is 9 letters.

Once you then press enter you are at the same place as when you go through Settings > Update and Security, you land in the search field of the Updates and Security category and you have to press tab twice to actually get to the "Check for Updates" button. Try it out, press Windows Key + I, then press tab and then press the End Key followed by Enter, I can almost guaranty that you may also find it quicker than pressing the Windows Key and typing "Windows U".

[...]

Kevin Minor

Hi.

What you describe is different for me. All I do is hit WINDOWS, then W. Windows update pops up right away, so it’s the easiest for me. As I said, it might be different on others’ systems.

Kevin and Jilly