Official: Welcome to Windows 11 era #AdminNotice #win11

Hello Win10 Forum family, Microsoft staff and others,

It is official: Windows Sun Valley is Windows 11. More details on features coming soon, but at least we now know the official name for the next Windows version (coming as a free upgrade this fall).

A few things:

  • This forum will happily take questions on Windows 11 as we are entering a transition period and as long as system version reports 10.0 (consider this an official statement from the forum leadership team).
  • Windows 11 requires a 64-bit processor, at least 4 GB of RAM and 64 GB disk space, UEFI firmware with secure Boot capability, along with Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0.
  • A brand new hashtag, #Win11, is dedicated to Windows 11 discussion.
  • For resident Windows Insiders, expect a Windows 11 Insider Preview build next week. Just as we did in Windows 10 era, Insiders subgroup will be dedicated to discussing Insider Preview builds for Windows 11.

Because Insiders subgroup is intimately tied to this forum, coupled with the system version in use, a proposal is being drafted (at this moment) to rename the entire forum cluster.

And with that, let the Windows 11 era transition and discussions begin!

Gerardo Corripio

So I take it that my HP Pavilion from 2018, with 8GB of ram will take Windows11 then? If so, that’ll be exciting!

Gera

El 24 jun 2021, a la(s) 10:28 a.m., Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> escribió:

[...]

Provided that it meets other system requirements.

[...]

Devin Prater

Okay, so does it require that the computer be in UEFI mode, or simply have a UEFI-capable processor?

On Jun 24, 2021, at 10:38 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,
[...]

Because of Secure Boot, UEFI is required.

[...]

Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...>

Hi
What is UEFI?
When the upgrade will happend?

[...]

Lino Morales

Well now that we are in the new erra may I propose a much simpler anme change? Windows For the Blind. I mean what if we see a WIN 12? No telling what MS will come up with in the next 5 or 10 years.

On 6/24/2021 11:28 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Okay, thanks. Hopefully I can just change it back and nothing awful happens. I’m definitely interested to see how Androidapps run on this, especially with accessibility. There are some really good Podcast clients for Android; it’d be amazing to use those on Android.

On Jun 24, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,
[...]

Madison Martin

How do I know if I have UEFI? I’ve never even heard of it.

[...]

yes, it was a nice launch event. strate to the point.

On 6/24/21, Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@gmail.com> wrote:
Okay, thanks. Hopefully I can just change it back and nothing awful happens.
I’m definitely interested to see how Androidapps run on this, especially
with accessibility. There are some really good Podcast clients for Android;
it’d be amazing to use those on Android.
Devin Prater
r.d.t.prater@gmail.com

Https://devinprater.flounder.online

Hi,

r.d.t.prater@gmail.com <mailto:r.d.t.prater@gmail.com>

Https://devinprater.flounder.online
<https://devinprater.flounder.online/>

Hi,

El 24 jun 2021, a la(s) 10:28 a.m., Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com
<mailto:joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>> escribió:

[...]

to listen to the Blind Android Users Podcast visit.
www.blindandroidusers.com
You may follow us on twitter using our handle:
@BlindDroidUsers
https://twitter.com/@BlindDroidUsers
We do have a Telegram group that you can join and share stories or
whatever with our members at:
https://t.me/ANATAD

Hi,

There exists a tool (Windows Health Check) that was just released that will tell you if your computer can upgrade to Windows 11 (my desktop doesn’t qualify because there is no hardware TPM; it was bought in 2014; at least this is an opportunity to shop for a new desktop later this year). Based on minimum specs published by resources such as Windows central, computers bought after 2013 should work provided that they do meet system requirements; for better experience, computers bought after 2016 should work flawlessly.

[...]

I mean, use those on Windows. Clarifying so no one else gets confused. You’ll be able to run Android apps on Windows 11. Source

On Jun 24, 2021, at 10:57 AM, Devin Prater via groups.io <r.d.t.prater@...> wrote:

[...]

To check, run System Information (msinfo32), and check under “BIOS mode”. If it says “UEFI”, you’ve got UEFI firmware; if it says “legacy”, then Windows believes you are not running on UEFI (I say “believes” because you can toggle between UEFI and legacy BIOS mode on some systems).

[...]

Okay, I was able to get to System Information, but how do I get to Bios mode? I don’t see anything about bios.

[...]

Luis Carlos González Moráles

Where I can get that helthy app to see if my PC will support Windows 11 once the insider build releaces? If its not I'm forced to cell my pc and or buy another one for my other house, a hundred km away.

Madison Martin wrote:

[...]

Kevin Minor

Hi.

When you get to System Information, don’t go through the tree view`. Immediately hit TAB, and you’ll be in the System Summary. On my Asus laptop running the latest build of Windows 10, all the system information was there, and I found the BIOS information. I should be all set for whenever Windows 11 is released.

Hope this helps.

Kevin and Jilly

[...]

Okay, looks like I have UEFI, now how do I find out what version of TPM I’ve got?

[...]

Why a name change like that?

On 6/24/2021 11:55 AM, Lino Morales wrote:

[...]

Like I said. Simple. What would call the cluster of lists?