onedrive seems to be unaccessible for users of screen readers #nvdasr #narrator

J.G

Hello,

if anyone has a same experience as me, please wote on feedback hub.
link:
https://aka.ms/AAdbb8g

if anyone of MS staff would read this, please report about possible solution and when it would land.

thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

tim

I found it by closing all folder explorer windows. Then it showed its head.

On 7/28/2021 4:07 PM, J.G wrote:
Hello,

if anyone has a same experience as me, please wote on feedback hub.
link:
https://aka.ms/AAdbb8g

if anyone of MS staff would read this, please report about possible solution and when it would land.

thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

J.G

on my computer it is inaccessible regardless of explorer. tested with closed and opened explorer.

thanks.

regards,
Jožef

Larry Higgins

You might give the following a try.

Go to your users folder, then choose your personal folder, (mine happens to be Owner), and you should find the folder there. If you listen to the description of the folder, it will tell you that it is available only when online.

I created a desktop shortcut to the folder, and it seems to work, although I will admit that my experience with Onedrive is really quite limited.

On 7/28/2021 11:43 PM, J.G wrote:
on my computer it is inaccessible regardless of explorer. tested with closed and opened explorer.

thanks.

regards,
Jožef

You write “if anyone has a same experience as me”, what experience are you talking about? Sorry if I missed some part of this thread, but I have been using OneDrive for years and find no real issues with it.

if anyone has a same experience as me, please wote on feedback hub.
link:
https://aka.ms/AAdbb8g

if anyone of MS staff would read this, please report about possible solution and when it would land.

thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

J.G

Hello,

perhaps I did not explain too clearly, what is my problem.
OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer is ok. Inaccesible is its graphical user interface, which is shown, when you interact with OneDrive's icon in systray. it means, that on OneDrive press application key (right mouse click) or press enter (double left mouse key) it brings UI which is unreadable for screen readers and so I cannot do nothing with its notifications and wornings. So I cannot restore accidently deleted files back from cloud to local machine or edit settings etc.

Thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Hi,
if you are on Windows 10, use Narrator to interact with that screen. It works fine with Narrator.
good luck.

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 3:46 AM J.G <jozko.gregorc@...> wrote:
Hello,

perhaps I did not explain too clearly, what is my problem.
OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer is ok. Inaccesible is its graphical user interface, which is shown, when you interact with OneDrive's icon in systray. it means, that on OneDrive press application key (right mouse click) or press enter (double left mouse key) it brings UI which is unreadable for screen readers and so I cannot do nothing with its notifications and wornings. So I cannot restore accidently deleted files back from cloud to local machine or edit settings etc.

Thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

J.G

Hello,

using win10 21h1 and tried both NVDA and Narrator with same results, before posted a question here. it is described also in a given issue (link in a first message).

thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

valiant8086

Hi.

I'm unable to get it to read with NVDA also, but JAWS does read it. I commented and upvoted your feedback.

On 7/29/2021 8:46 PM, J.G wrote:
Hello,

perhaps I did not explain too clearly, what is my problem.
OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer is ok. Inaccesible is its graphical user interface, which is shown, when you interact with OneDrive's icon in systray. it means, that on OneDrive press application key (right mouse click) or press enter (double left mouse key) it brings UI which is unreadable for screen readers and so I cannot do nothing with its notifications and wornings. So I cannot restore accidently deleted files back from cloud to local machine or edit settings etc.

Thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

Fawaz Abdul rahman

Hi,
It is true that some time around last year I couldn't access the interface with NVDA, but I've managed to get it working with Narrator; however, I've tried just now, and the interface is working fine with NVDA, I was able to access settings, recent files etc.
Using NVDA 2021.1.

On 7/29/2021 8:46 PM, J.G wrote:
Hello,

perhaps I did not explain too clearly, what is my problem.
OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer is ok. Inaccesible is its graphical user interface, which is shown, when you interact with OneDrive's icon in systray. it means, that on OneDrive press application key (right mouse click) or press enter (double left mouse key) it brings UI which is unreadable for screen readers and so I cannot do nothing with its notifications and wornings. So I cannot restore accidently deleted files back from cloud to local machine or edit settings etc.

Thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

J.G

problem solved with reinstalation of OneDrive service. I don't know, but it seems, that Onedrive has not been updated for some months.
I thought, that it was updated in a background, so I didn't see a reason to make complete reinstalation of a service.

But when you've written, that you can use it, I doublecheck service and reinstaled it.

thanks again for all your support and that you told me, how you work, so I could begin to search, where is a problem.

best regards,
Jožef

I can’t confirm this, when it comes to restoring deleted files you have to do this via the web interface, e.g. go to the online version of OneDrive, but the menu and Settings are accessible, at least they are for me using Jaws where I can do pretty much everything from going to Settings and checking the various tabs and options to going to the web interface and checking my Recycle Bin and restoring items:

Here is Jaws speech history which starts when I arrow to the OneDrive icon in the system tray and press enter on it:

OneDrive Up to date 3 of 11
Taskbar
Microsoft OneDrive
Microsoft OneDrive
menu

I now press enter and arrow right through the options:

Open your OneDrive folder menu key O
Settings menu key S
View online menu key V
Unlock Personal Vault menu key n
Pause syncing menu key P sub menu‑
My premium features menu key a
Get help menu key G
Send feedback menu key d
Close OneDrive menu key C

I now arrow back to Settings and press enter:

Leaving menus
Microsoft OneDrive dialog‑
Account Page
Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows check box‑ checked‑
Account Page
OneDrive (sieghard@...) Add an account Button‑
alt+A
OneDrive (sieghard@...) Manage storage Link‑
OneDrive (sieghard@...) Unlink this PC Link‑
OneDrive (sieghard@...) Privacy Settings Link‑
Choose folders Button‑
alt+C
Personal Vault For security, your Personal Vault automatically locks when you’re not actively using it. Lock Personal Vault after: Combo box‑
20 Minutes 1 of 4
OK Button Cancel Button

Account Tab – I now arrow left to the Settings tab, go through it and then arrow right again to the other tabs in this dialogue:

Settings Tab‑
General Start OneDrive automatically when I sign in to Windows check box‑ checked‑
General Automatically pause sync when this device is in battery saver mode check box‑ checked‑
General Automatically pause sync when this device is on a metered network check box‑ checked‑
Notifications When others share with me or edit my shared items check box‑ checked‑
Notifications When a large number of files are deleted in the cloud check box‑ checked‑
Notifications When OneDrive suggests a new collection of my photos and videos check box‑ checked‑
Notifications Before many files that I deleted on my PC are removed from the cloud check box‑ checked‑
Notifications When sync pauses automatically check box‑ checked‑
Files On-Demand Save space and download files as you use them check box‑ checked‑
Files On-Demand More info Link‑
OK Button Cancel Button

Settings Tab‑
Account Tab‑
Backup Tab – I tab through the options:

Important PC Folders Manage backup Button‑
Important PC Folders More info Link‑
Photos and videos Automatically save photos and videos to OneDrive whenever I connect a camera, phone, or other device to my PC check box‑ not checked‑
Screenshots Automatically save screenshots I capture to OneDrive check box‑ checked

OK Button Cancel Button

Backup Tab‑
Network Tab‑
Office Tab‑
About Tab‑
Office Tab‑
File collaboration Use Office applications to sync Office files that I open check box‑ checked‑
File collaboration More info Link‑
Sync conflicts Let me choose to merge changes or keep both copies radio button‑ checked 1 of 1
OK Button Cancel Button

And here is a bit from when I selected the “View Online” option in the menu which took me to the web interface, I started with going to the Recycle Bin:

heading level 1‑ Recycle bin
grid with 6 columns and 35 rows
Toggle selection for all items check box‑ not checked‑
Size button menu‑ collapsed‑ menu
 Checkbox for 2021-04-07 (1) check box‑ checked‑
Name
col 2 row 1
Show actions button menu‑

I press enter to activate this and get the following 3 options:

Delete 1 of 3

Restore 2 of 3

Edit tags 3 of 3

perhaps I did not explain too clearly, what is my problem.
OneDrive folder in Windows Explorer is ok. Inaccesible is its graphical user interface, which is shown, when you interact with OneDrive's icon in systray. it means, that on OneDrive press application key (right mouse click) or press enter (double left mouse key) it brings UI which is unreadable for screen readers and so I cannot do nothing with its notifications and wornings. So I cannot restore accidently deleted files back from cloud to local machine or edit settings etc.

Thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

Works fine with Jaws as well.

[...]

Kevin Cussick

Hi, well I used narrator, and went to one drive on the system tray, hit application key or You could do shift f10 and you get stuff that nvda just does not announce. it would be good if any of the devs of nvda has any ideas? thanks in advance.

On 30/07/2021 06:54, J.G wrote:
Hello,
using win10 21h1 and tried both NVDA and Narrator with same results, before posted a question here. it is described also in a given issue (link in a first message).
thanks.
best regards,
Jožef

Every screenreader has strength and weaknesses, in some situations NVDA may d a better job then Jaws or provide more or better information and in some cases it's the other way around. If NVDA does not allow you to read these options for OneDrive then this is an example where Jaws can do it and until NVDA developers figure out how to do this as well you could use the work-around of using the demo version of Jaws when you want to access the OneDrive settings. It's not like that is something you have to do every day and typically once set up there isn't all that much which has to be change all the time so 40 minutes should be enough time to accomplish the task and if it is not you can always reboot and run Jaws again for another 40 minutes..

On 30/07/2021 06:54, J.G wrote:
Hello,

using win10 21h1 and tried both NVDA and Narrator with same results,
before posted a question here. it is described also in a given issue
(link in a first message).

thanks.

best regards,
Jožef

Kevin Cussick

thanks, I am not putting jaws on any machines of mines. but thanks narrator does a better job than Nvda.