Windows 365 accessibility with screen readers

mohammad suliman

Hi all,
Hope my email finds you well!

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how things should look like with a screen reader?
Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Mohammad

Nimer Jaber

Yes, it will be accessible.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

mohammad suliman

Thanks for your answer! Do you have more details? I have understood that you can run NVDA or any other screen reader there, and that way you access the operating system. What wasn't clear to me is how this works exactly? Does the virtual OS send the audio to the host over the network and then the user can hear it? Or does it use another protocole? I think that running NVDA for example with the remote add-on theoretically on the virtual OS should work also and give you access to it without the latency issues which could arise if the virtual OS sends the audio over the network. Another concern that I have is related to braille.  How should things look like there? If the virtual OS sends audio, then it won't be accessible with braille, but if  a mechanism like remote is used, then this should be OK.

Thanks again,
Mohammad

On Fri, 17 Sept 2021 at 17:19, Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Yes, it will be accessible.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 6:48 AM mohammad suliman <Mohmad.s93@...> wrote:
Hi all,
Hope my email finds you well!

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how things should look like with a screen reader?
Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Mohammad

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Nimer Jaber

I don't know that we've seen much announcements in general about Windows 365 as of yet, and none about accessibility, but I have no doubt that, given Microsoft's commitments to accessibility, that accessibility has been of consideration for Windows 365. Others can chime in if there is something I've missed on this topic.

Thanks.

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 7:42 AM mohammad suliman <Mohmad.s93@...> wrote:
[...]

Russell James

This seems to be getting promoted for business/enterprise customers so I'm not sure how much this is going to matter to home users.
There are many questions being raised but I have not seen many answers being published yet
I really hope that they will support the Microsoft remote desktop protocol to these windows systems running in the cloud so that the RDP client with all its existing features will
be supported from the remote users computer

Russ

Kenny Peyattt jr.

What is windows 365? Is it a version of windows that can be insstalled on the pc?

Kenny Peyatt jr.

[...]

James Bentley

I think he means Microsoft365.

It is a suite of programs includeing, office, outlook, one drive etc.

James b

[...]

Hi,

Windows 365 is a service that allows businesses (and hopefully, consumers) to run virtualized Windows from the cloud – that is, folks can access programs and data stored somewhere and access it as though they are in front of their machines.

[...]

Thanks for the correction.

James B

[...]

This isn't exactly an inexpensive subscription, as far as I know it starts at $20 a months per user and while this may appeal to large companies for the manageability and scalability it offers, I don't think it is necessarily meant to be for the personal user, at least not yet.

If Microsoft wants to make this attractive for the home or small business user it would have to be packaged with Microsoft 365 for a much lower cost.

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how things should look like with a screen reader?

Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mohammad

Russell James

This Microsoft blog post from July 14 describes the service  that is available for businesses

Introducing a new era of hybrid personal computing: the Windows 365 Cloud PC | Microsoft 365 Blog

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2021/07/14/introducing-a-new-era-of-hybrid-personal-computing-the-windows-365-cloud-pc/

I think this is the web page for the product:

Windows 365 Cloud PC | Microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-365

Russ

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 3:04 PM Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

This isn't exactly an inexpensive subscription, as far as I know it starts at $20 a months per user and while this may appeal to large companies for the manageability and scalability it offers, I don't think it is necessarily meant to be for the personal user, at least not yet.

If Microsoft wants to make this attractive for the home or small business user it would have to be packaged with Microsoft 365 for a much lower cost.

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how things should look like with a screen reader?

Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mohammad

No, he does mean Windows 365, just Google it and you can read all abut it.

[...]

Yes, you are correct in fact. The subscription price is expensive for us home users. But as people have said here before this service is still for business and enterprise customers.

On Fri, 17 Sept 2021 at 22:04, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

This isn't exactly an inexpensive subscription, as far as I know it starts at $20 a months per user and while this may appeal to large companies for the manageability and scalability it offers, I don't think it is necessarily meant to be for the personal user, at least not yet.

If Microsoft wants to make this attractive for the home or small business user it would have to be packaged with Microsoft 365 for a much lower cost.

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how things should look like with a screen reader?

Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mohammad

windows 365 is totally accessible.
there are some focus loss problems but other than that it works.
there is a youtuber by the name taylors tech talks, although she has
not made videos on windows 365 and she makes wordpress and other
videos but in her videos she says she runs windows 365 on a mac.
so as far as i know it works with nvda, but she loses focus many times.

On Fri, 17 Sept 2021 at 22:04, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@live.ca> wrote:

[...]

to listen to the Blind Android Users Podcast visit.
www.blindandroidusers.com
You may follow us on twitter using our handle:
@BlindDroidUsers
https://twitter.com/@BlindDroidUsers
We do have a Telegram group that you can join and share stories or
whatever with our members at:
https://t.me/ANATAD

Russell James

I'm really anxious to know if it supports RDP?

Do you know how she was accessing the remote PC from her apple computer?

Some users have also asked if they will be able to use their local Braille display driven by the remote PC in the cloud?

Russ

Sarah k Alawami

I would hope so. I used  a similar service called shadow and it was 100 percent accessible.

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how things should look like with a screen reader?

Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mohammad

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

i am not sure about how she was accessing windows 365, but she was
accessing it so she said, i dont remember properly but i think she has
made a video on it.

I would hope so. I used a similar service called shadow and it was 100
percent accessible.

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision
screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on
experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how
things should look like with a screen reader?

Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mohammad

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for
Windows, visit nvaccess.org <http://www.nvda-project.org>

Thank you, and have a great day!

--
to listen to the Blind Android Users Podcast visit.
www.blindandroidusers.com
You may follow us on twitter using our handle:
@BlindDroidUsers
https://twitter.com/@BlindDroidUsers
We do have a Telegram group that you can join and share stories or
whatever with our members at:
https://t.me/ANATAD

Richard B. McDonald

Hi Mohammad!

I am not sure if others have already said this, but there is a difference between 1) MS Office 365 *online* and 2) MS Office 365 *local client*.  My sighted wife's work at a large university uses MS Office 365.  She hates the online version.  Many people, sighted or not, prefer to download the local client application for it (e.g., Outlook).  Everyone reports the local client as far more accessible.

HTH,

Richard

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how things should look like with a screen reader?

Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mohammad

This question was not about Office 365 which actually now is called Microsoft 365, but it was about "Windows 365" which is a service where you get the actual Windows experience via subscription and in a streaming-type format. I don't know all the details and what is locally installed and what is not because I assume that you must still be able to use your computer, for example, if somehow connectivity to the internet is down.

I am not sure if others have already said this, but there is a difference between 1) MS Office 365 *online* and 2) MS Office 365 *local client*.  My sighted wife's work at a large university uses MS Office 365.  She hates the online version.  Many people, sighted or not, prefer to download the local client application for it (e.g., Outlook).  Everyone reports the local client as far more accessible.

HTH,

Richard

I am wondering, will windows 365 be accessible to us blind and low vision screen reader users? Does someone have info about this? Maybe hands on experience with this software? Or some blog article which describes how things should look like with a screen reader?

Any kind of info will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Mohammad

so this is what i know.
1. you should have a computer with a locally installed os.
it can be any OS including android and ios however i dont know how
accessible it will be on a touch screen device.
2. then you access windows 365 remotely, i dont know how you do that.
3. if you dont have internet connectivity you will use the local os on
your computer, so windows 365 will not replace a local os.