From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jacob Kruger
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 5:52 AM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] accessible epub program

Haven't done too much more than give this one a try, and, it is usable, and is specifically meant to be an accessible e-book reader, including having support for ePub, pdf, etc. - Thorium:

https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

HTH

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2021-10-14 11:25 AM, tom x wrote:
Hi,

A friend of mine, who is not on the list, is having a real problem
obtaining a free accessible epub reader as can be seen below. Can
anyone offer a solution or even a way of installing Adobe Digital
while avoiding the Norton trial offer?

Following are some of the programs he has tried along with the results:

I have tried bookworm which would only extract with 7zip but running
the installer triggers a security warning from windows 10 windows defender.
I have tried browser extension addons which are supposed to allow the
user to read epub books but these did not seem to be accessible.

Another is Adobe Digital, the latest version, it comes bundled with a
Norton trial offer. The norton installer window is not accessible
which prevents adobe digital from fully installing unless you can
click agree or no thank you in the norton trial window. Unfortunately
the negative option can not be located.

Calab will convert between different ebook formats when used through
the command line or bat files but can not be used through the g u i as
it is totally inaccessible.

So does anyone know of an accessible free epub reader apart from those
listed above or a way to get around the Nortons trial offer?

Thanks

I would also like to know of a free accessible Epub program.
Tom

tom x <ballistic719@...>

Hi,

Thanks to those who answered my query regarding an accessible epub program.

I'll pass on the info supplied.

Cheers
Tom

Jacob Kruger

On 2021-10-14 11:25 AM, tom x wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Micallef Michael at FITA

Hi:

There two good programs to read epubs:
1 balabolka (freeware)

http://www.cross-plus-a.com/balabolka.htm

2 Qread (shareware 0- cost little money)

https://q-continuum.net/qread/download