trying to recover data

Don H

OK so my computer crashed a few days back. I took the SSD out of the computer and now have it in a adapter so I can look at all the data that was on the laptop. The one thing I want to do is recover the Google Chrome and Ms Edge bookmarks/favorites. So I want to run the copy of both Google Chrome and Ms Edge that is on this recovered SSD. So far when the recovery ssd is plugged into my laptop and I try to run chrome or edge it opens the copies on my working laptop and not from the recovery ssd. So my question is how to run the copies of chrome and edge from the recovery ssd.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Weiss <jimweiss72@...>

If you were using sync in both browsers then you should have no issues, assuming that you logged back in as the same user in both browsers. Your favorites, bookmarks and passwords would be in the cloud and would come back down to the newly installed browsers on the new drive. There is no real good way to launch any software on that old disk. That old disk now has a new drive letter and your registry is going to point to the software that is installed on C:.
Just because you can see the executable files on the old drive does not mean that you can actually run them. I suppose if you make some massive hacks to the registry (and I certainly do not recommend that unless you are highly skilled and even then…) you are not going to get the old software to run.
Jim Weiss
jimweiss72@icloud.com

On Oct 14, 2021, at 6:05 PM, Don H <lmddh50@adams.net> wrote:

OK so my computer crashed a few days back. I took the SSD out of the computer and now have it in a adapter so I can look at all the data that was on the laptop. The one thing I want to do is recover the Google Chrome and Ms Edge bookmarks/favorites. So I want to run the copy of both Google Chrome and Ms Edge that is on this recovered SSD. So far when the recovery ssd is plugged into my laptop and I try to run chrome or edge it opens the copies on my working laptop and not from the recovery ssd. So my question is how to run the copies of chrome and edge from the recovery ssd.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jason White

Yes, logging into the same Google account (if you were using one with synchronization enabled) should restore the bookmarks.
If not, then it's probably a matter of copying the appropriate Google Chrome files (found under your user profile) to your new installation. Some Web searches should be enough to find out where those files are located.

[...]

Bill White

Hi, Don. Long story short, you can't run Edge or Chrome from the old disk. What you can do is to copy the bookmarks files to the new disk, assuming you copy them into the same appropriate paths. The appropriate filenames and paths are as follows,

Chrome,
Files,
Bookmarks
Bookmarks.bak

Path,
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

or,

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Profile1

Edge,
File,
Bookmarks

Path,
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

OK so my computer crashed a few days back. I took the SSD out of the
computer and now have it in a adapter so I can look at all the data that
was on the laptop. The one thing I want to do is recover the Google
Chrome and Ms Edge bookmarks/favorites. So I want to run the copy of
both Google Chrome and Ms Edge that is on this recovered SSD. So far
when the recovery ssd is plugged into my laptop and I try to run chrome
or edge it opens the copies on my working laptop and not from the
recovery ssd. So my question is how to run the copies of chrome and
edge from the recovery ssd.
Any help would be appreciated.

Don H

Thanks but I already figured it out and now have all the data to setup my wife's new computer coming next week.