ACTIVE DRIVES

Monte Single

Hi Members,

I have a small form factor hp desktop running win10 pro 64 bit  version  20h2 with nvda 2021.1.

Win 10 and all                                              programs is on a 500 gig s s d drive………..

There are two sata drives used for storage in the pc also.

Usually I move thing  to or from these storage drives only every week or 2 and the same for searching for files or folders.

Quite often I hear  one of these sata drives spinning up.

I know windows defender/security does not scan these drives that often.

Why are these drives active when I am not using them?

Can I control this activity?

Cheers,

Mont

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Hi,

It could be to do with an application,indexing, a page file on that drive.

I Have not been able to stop the data drive spinning up on my laptop drive from time to time.

Steven Hicks

Email:  Steven.Hicks@...

Tel:  01209 318620

I have a small form factor hp desktop running win10 pro 64 bit  version  20h2 with nvda 2021.1.

Win 10 and all                                              programs is on a 500 gig s s d drive………..

There are two sata drives used for storage in the pc also.

Usually I move thing  to or from these storage drives only every week or 2 and the same for searching for files or folders.

Quite often I hear  one of these sata drives spinning up.

I know windows defender/security does not scan these drives that often.

Why are these drives active when I am not using them?

Can I control this activity?

Cheers,

Mont

This message originated from outside of NHSmail. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please:
i) inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it; and
ii) do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its content (to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful).
Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email, collaboration and directory service available for all NHS staff in England. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch visit Joining NHSmail – NHSmail Support

tim

With spinning drives its called drive maintenance and windows does this when it wants.