AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Janet Brandly

Just my humble opinion,

AS an NVDA user and someone who has never used JAWS, the fact that such a simple command as alt+tab cannot be done easily with JAWS is pretty scary. This is another reason I will never use it. Thank god for NVDA.

Janet

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: July 16, 2021 8:54 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

No, I ddi change that, no go.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

There was some setting in Windows that controls what alt+tab does. I can't recall where it is right now. This could be your issue.

On 7/16/2021 10:05 PM, Bill Powers wrote:

Joseph,

I’ve been having Alt-Tab issues since 21H1 but can’t quite put my finger on describing the problem. It just seems like the sequencing is not working the way I’ve expected so something seems broken.

BP

Afik Souffir

Strange, but I don't see this strange problem with Jaws or NVDA.

Afik Souffir.

JAWS Certified, 2021

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet Brandly
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 8:37 PM
Subject: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Just my humble opinion,

AS an NVDA user and someone who has never used JAWS, the fact that such a simple command as alt+tab cannot be done easily with JAWS is pretty scary. This is another reason I will never use it. Thank god for NVDA.

Janet

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten

There was some setting in Windows that controls what alt+tab does. I can't recall where it is right now. This could be your issue.

Joseph,

I’ve been having Alt-Tab issues since 21H1 but can’t quite put my finger on describing the problem. It just seems like the sequencing is not working the way I’ve expected so something seems broken.

BP

Holly

I never had this happen with JAWS.

Hi,

Actually, I’ve been investigating an issue in Windows 11 where Alt+Tab command may become stuck. This problem was observed while using NVDA and Narrator, so we can’t say this is unique to JAWS at this point. In case of Windows 11 issue, I believe Microsoft was made aware of it, along with a related problem where Narrator and NVDA (and I believe JAWS in some cases) will get stuck trying to switch between programs in some cases, caused by a window stealing system focus from the app you are trying to switch to (Microsoft also knows about this issue).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet Brandly
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 10:37 AM
Subject: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

Mike B.

Hi Janet,

This is not a Jaws Or NVda setting, it's a Windows setting found in Settings / System / Multitasking.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 10:36 AM

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

Mickey Quenzer

The Alt tab key does exactly the same thing with Jaws as it does with NVDA so I’m sorry that you don’t understand how jaws works but I would appreciate it if you would use a feature in jaws before you complain about it. don’t cut it down.

*******  MQ *******

On Jul 17, 2021, at 12:46 PM, Holly <feyk7@...> wrote:

I never had this happen with JAWS.

Pradip Chandra Sikdar

Using both the latest version of JAWS and NVDA with the latest version of windows 10. I am not facing such issue.

On 7/17/2021 11:06 PM, Janet Brandly wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

--
Regards,
Pradip Chandra Sikdar
Be entertained with some music in my Bedroom Studio Youtube Channel
Visit me on www.pradipsikdar.com
Catch me on Facebook or follow my Facebook page,
Connect with me via LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter,

Brad Snyder

I have never had any problem doing  ALT  + Tab, with any version of windows 10 or any version of  JAWS.
I don't understand why this is even a topic of discussion.

- Brad -

On Jul 17, 2021, at 12:36, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

tim

Well brad guess some one is having a problem with it.

On 7/17/2021 4:45 PM, Brad Snyder wrote:
I have never had any problem doing  ALT  + Tab, with any version of windows 10 or any version of  JAWS.

- Brad -

On Jul 17, 2021, at 12:36, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

Brad Snyder

Yes, so it seems.
As Joseph explained, it appears to be an issue with one of the Windows 11 Insider builds.

- Brad -

On Jul 17, 2021, at 15:56, tim <z2004a1@...> wrote:

- Brad -

On Jul 17, 2021, at 12:36, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: July 16, 2021 8:54 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Joseph,

BP

Hi,

The original thread (which came from a JAWS list) specifically talks about Windows 10 21H1:

main@jfw.groups.io | windows 10 update 21h1

A follow-up thread (from JAWS list) expands on this:

main@jfw.groups.io | how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

The reason for forwarding these messages was to see if users of other screen readers are experiencing this on Windows 10 21H1, and looks like this is Windows configuration dependent (based on a message from Richard Turner). The Alt+Tab issue with Windows 11 affects at least Narrator and NVDA to some degree (may need to test this more with JAWS to see what’s up).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brad Snyder
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Yes, so it seems.

As Joseph explained, it appears to be an issue with one of the Windows 11 Insider builds.

- Brad -

On Jul 17, 2021, at 15:56, tim <z2004a1@...> wrote:

- Brad -

On Jul 17, 2021, at 12:36, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: July 16, 2021 8:54 PM

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Governor staten
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 9:49 PM

Joseph,

BP

Jordan Gallacher

Works fine here no problems with Jaws or NVDA.

JOrdan

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 1:37 PM

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

David Moore

Yes, I cannot imagine not using nvda! The great people in the nvda community, have kept nvda up to date with the latest versions and builds of windows! It takes Freedom Scientific a year or two to get Jaws working with the latest windows, now Windows 11, to work! I cannot imagine how long it will take for Freedom Scientific to get Jaws working well with Windows 11 lol! Free versus $1,000! Wow, nvda is a no-brainer to me, and I can do more with mvda then I can with jaws lol! It is such a blessing to have this community, I will never forget when someone gave me nvda on a USB stick in 2006 I believe! I have used nvda almost exclusive for 5 years!

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021, 1:36 PM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

Not true at all, love fs.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] AS an NVDA user, This is scarey! was How do you successfully alt tab with jaws in windows 10 update 21h1?

Yes, I cannot imagine not using nvda! The great people in the nvda community, have kept nvda up to date with the latest versions and builds of windows! It takes Freedom Scientific a year or two to get Jaws working with the latest windows, now Windows 11, to work! I cannot imagine how long it will take for Freedom Scientific to get Jaws working well with Windows 11 lol! Free versus $1,000! Wow, nvda is a no-brainer to me, and I can do more with mvda then I can with jaws lol! It is such a blessing to have this community, I will never forget when someone gave me nvda on a USB stick in 2006 I believe! I have used nvda almost exclusive for 5 years!

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

Jordan Gallacher

I second that.  Love FS here as well.

Jordan

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:54 PM

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

Hi,

Although it takes time, Vispero has shown willingness to keep up with Windows 10 changes more quickly in recent releases, and I expect JAWS 2022 to include changes to support Windows 11. As Windows 11 is a strictly 64-bit operating system, only 64-bit version of JAWS can be supported – you can’t really install 32-bit JAWS due to it using components that are matched to the machine architecture i.e. 64-bit JAWS requires 64-bit operating systems. I’ll talk about what works and doesn’t work with JAWS under Windows 11 (at this time) in a future thread.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jordan Gallacher
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 4:11 PM

Jordan

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

Allen West

Hi,

All of my students are using JAWS. I have not seen this problem with
the Alt Tab. If this is a problem for some, it's a Windows issue, not
a screen reader issue at all.

Allenn

On 7/17/21, Janet Brandly <jbrandly@shaw.ca> wrote:
Just my humble opinion,

AS an NVDA user and someone who has never used JAWS, the fact that such a
simple command as alt+tab cannot be done easily with JAWS is pretty scary.
This is another reason I will never use it. Thank god for NVDA.

Janet

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On
Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in
windows 10 update 21h1?

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On
Behalf Of Governor staten
Subject: Re: [winaccess] FW: how do you successfully alt tab with jaws in
windows 10 update 21h1?

There was some setting in Windows that controls what alt+tab does. I can't
recall where it is right now. This could be your issue.

_____

Joseph,

I've been having Alt-Tab issues since 21H1 but can't quite put my finger on
describing the problem. It just seems like the sequencing is not working
the
way I've expected so something seems broken.

BP

Immigrant

I never remembered a time when JAWS would be years behind Windows development.

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

To: winaccess@...

Joseph,

BP

valiant8086

Hi.

These issues are strangely not consistent though. I can't reproduce it at all in Windows 10 on any of 7 different devices and none of my friends are complaining about it. I grant it seems to be JAWS and not NVDA, but next time it might be the other way around. With so much software code, you never can tell what's what. When something doesn't work properly, sometimes it's hard to blame the software itself, because you don't really know all the specifics about why it doesn't work like it should, and the fact that something else does the same thing just fine might, or might not, just be a matter of luck of the draw.

A few years back, we discovered that changing the alt+tab screen to be like that of Windows 7 using winaero tweaker broke JAWS but not NVDA and Narrator. I have no idea if that is possibly what's going on here though.

I do have issues with alt+tab under Windows 11 while using JAWS that don't cary over to NVDA, but it only changes the way it is read out, when you first hold alt and press tab the first time, it says a bunch of extra stuff before it tells you the window that now has focus. Thereafter, pressing tab more times is normal, so pressing alt and pressing tab twice quickly, and then pressing tab and listening to the windows until I get to the one I need has become the new habit, unless I know exactly which window it will be the first time I alt+tab. I fully expect this to be fixed, it's so obvious that I haven't even reported it in feedback hub for Windows itself or informed Vistero about it.

Another odd problem that JAWS has which NVDA and narrator don't is on certain computers, with certain programs, if you type quickly the letters you type are scrambled or dropped, making what you typed mostly impossible to read. I reproduce this on a gpd Micro running Windows 10 20h2 with an intel celleron n4100 and 8gb of ram, and an Asus Zenbook pt431fl with an Intel i7 10500u, 16gb ram. The Zenbook also has the annoying habit of somehow causing keypresses to not interrupt speech for the first minute or two after you wake it from sleep when using JAWS, but that doesn't happen with NVDA. JAWS has an alternative keyboard driver that solves both of these problems if you enable it in settings center, but it causes other issues that I need to report because those should be fixable. Meanwhile, sometimes if I close NVDA I lose access to my keyboard entirely. This has become much less common an occurrence of late, but it's not completely gone. NVDA won't read the One Drive window when JAWS reads all of it just fine, NVDA won't read certain parts of the program I use most, a very old program called Monkey Term, JAWS has no trouble at all with it. NVDA can't read the Realtek Audio control panel on certain computers hardly any if at all, but does perfectly on other computers with supposedly the same program, JAWS reads it on all of those just fine. They both got their strengths and weaknesses, and honestly, not having and using both is just missing out on the power and beauty of Windows. Even sometimes I think it makes sense to install JAWS even if you don't own it, just use the 40 minute demo for certain things, like uninstalling mccafee anti virus, certain variants of that program won't read at all with NVDA but JAWS handles it easily, but other variants work fine with NVDA as well.

I don't intend to change your opinion about this, but I do hope to let people who aren't really in the know be aware that the issues being reported are being caused by something that is unusual and it's probably not time to assume JAWS is just not up to the task, because these are corner cases, and I have corner cases where NVDA and Narator do things in ways that make programs or important functionality totally unusable that work perfectly with JAWS.

Meanwhile, I send 5 dollars a month to NVDA and have done so for over a year now. The cost per year ends up being very close to what I pay to maintain my JAWS SMA. If anyone who is here is currently not donating but can afford to do it, I would like to recommend doing so. I think it important not to lose NVDA or JAWS at this point because we don't want to end up with a stagnating situation where the accessibility of Windows stays the same or gets worse with nobody making an effort to change things. With only two or 1 screen reader left, that eventuality is closer to becoming reality. Competition between manufacturers is always a good thing for the customer. we should support and encourage that as much as we can. We lost out on the opportunity to do that with the Mac OS platform, and while it has been improving in many ways, in other ways it stays the same or falls behind for important functionality. I couldn't give specific examples because I no longer have a MAC device though, so I'll put my own grains of salt on that last remark by pointing out that what I say concerning MAC OS accessibility is hearsay. I do use Narrator, NVDA and JAWS quite a bit, however, and Windows 10 and 11 a ridiculous number of hours a day. JAWS is my primary, and I remain happy with it. I got JAWS for free legally, and I now get my SMA's paid every two years for me using legal government programs that provide that service, but I would have bought JAWS and would be paying my own money to keep the SMA's going with no regrets. I can't see any reason not to when office 365 costs a similar amount per year and nobody complains about that. That's one of my arguments when friends want to talk about whether they should let their SMA drop.

It's important for us to have the best access we can have. it's worth that money to me even for the off chance NVDA will either stop being updated and stop working, or some functionality won't be there, to keep my SMA going. Of course, now that JAWS is available with the home annual thing for the US market, those of us who haven't already bought it can get on board at any time without having to buy JAWS up front. I think that's a great thing.

On 7/17/2021 1:36 PM, Janet Brandly wrote:

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP

And 2022 of jaws will no longer support windows 7.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:35 PM

Hi,

Although it takes time, Vispero has shown willingness to keep up with Windows 10 changes more quickly in recent releases, and I expect JAWS 2022 to include changes to support Windows 11. As Windows 11 is a strictly 64-bit operating system, only 64-bit version of JAWS can be supported – you can’t really install 32-bit JAWS due to it using components that are matched to the machine architecture i.e. 64-bit JAWS requires 64-bit operating systems. I’ll talk about what works and doesn’t work with JAWS under Windows 11 (at this time) in a future thread.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jordan Gallacher
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 4:11 PM

Jordan

Just my humble opinion,

Janet

Joseph,

BP