From: Denny Huff <denny@...>
Date: Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 12:08 PM
Subject: [ati-mcb] Important message from Eric Damery regarding Vispero Products
To: <ati-mcb@groups.io>

From Eric,

We have discovered there is a potential issue for customers who have been installing updates, repairs, or install-overs any of our software (JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion) if they had already received the Microsoft Monthly update released November 9, 2021 for Win 10 and 11.

The issue was introduced by the Windows 10, KB5007186 (November 9, 2021) and Windows 11, KB5007215 (November 9, 2021). , and the way it interacts with our MSI Installer Technology.  After this Windows update is installed, subsequent install-overs fail to copy key program files of our software.  In their place, the user will see temp files prefixed with “TBM”.  This is happening with quite a few files in ZoomText and a small collection in JAWS.  Again, the issue is affecting any install-over, repair, upgrade, etc. for JAWS and ZoomText.  The net result is that after update, some files are not successfully updated, resulting in mismatched files and potential runtime errors or something may not be working as expected. Unfortunately, we can point to exactly what that behavior would be.

To determine if a computer is experiencing the issue, look for files prefixed with “TBM” in Program Files\Freedom Scientific.  Following are the steps:

  1. Open Windows Explorer (WINDOWS+E)
  2. Press ALT+D to set focus to the address bar of Windows Explorer.
  3. Type “%ProgramFiles%\Freedom Scientific” (without quotes) followed by ENTER to enter the Freedom Scientific Program Files folder.
  4. Tab to the Windows Explorer search field and type “TBM*” (without quotes) followed by ENTER.

If TBM files are found, then you have mismatched files.

If you verify that you have experience this issue, you should resolve it by completely uninstalling JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion, including uninstalling shared components followed by a re-installation of our software.  Once you have then rebooted, you can install clean, with the latest version of our software and you should be OK at that point.

Please note that we are already working with Microsoft to resolve the issue and expect to have a solution available soon. More details will follow in the next few days.

Denny Huff

Gateway For the Blind LLC.

--
Best,