can't download Microsoft Office

Vicki W

Hi,

I have been trying to download Microsoft office from the office website while signed into my account so I can install it, but the download gets stuck at about 7 megs. I get a message that "this file was blocked because this type of file might harm your computer." I've downloaded other .exe files without issue, but this one won't download.

The below instructions were posted by Bill white awhile back, so I made sure that everything was set according to his steps. Still, it won't download. How can I fix this problem if the steps below aren't working?

Steps:

1. Open Settings with Windows Key plus I.
2. Open Update and Security.
3. Press ENTER on the Open Windows Security Button.
4. In the Categories that display in Windows Security, press ENTER on App
and Browser Control.
5. Turn off all settings under Reputation-based Protection, especially Smart
Screen for Microsoft Edge.

There was also a link under reputation based protection called history protection or something like that. There was a filter button at the top, so should I clear all filters under this as well?

Thanks.

Vicki

Bill White

Hi, Vicki. It sounds as if, even though you have unchecked most reputation-based Protection settings under Windows Security>App And Browser Control, you may still have SmartScreen for Microsoft Store apps checked. If you do, it will block what it thinks may be harmful apps from the Microsoft Store.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io [mailto:winaccess@winaccess.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 12:55 PM
To: Windows Access
Subject: [winaccess] can't download Microsoft Office

Hi,

I have been trying to download Microsoft office from the office website while signed into my account so I can install it, but the download gets stuck at about 7 megs. I get a message that "this file was blocked because this type of file might harm your computer." I've downloaded other .exe files without issue, but this one won't download.

The below instructions were posted by Bill white awhile back, so I made sure that everything was set according to his steps. Still, it won't download. How can I fix this problem if the steps below aren't working?

Steps:

and Browser Control.

There was also a link under reputation based protection called history protection or something like that. There was a filter button at the top, so should I clear all filters under this as well?

Thanks.

Vicki

gbmagoo@...

yes

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 12:55
To: Windows Access <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io>

Hi,

Steps:

and Browser Control.

Thanks.

Vicki

Alan Robbins

Hi Vicki,
If you had tried all you can think of and suggestions made, how about a call to Microsoft accessibility? Just a thought

On Jul 17, 2021, at 3:54 PM, Vicki W <vwherry4@...> wrote:

Hi,

Steps:

and Browser Control.

Thanks.

Vicki

Vicki W

No, everything is unchecked. If I go into the history protection link and clear all filters, the blocked item is unchecked under the block section, but when I go back in, it's checked again. I don't know if that matters or not.

Any other ideas?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: [winaccess] can't download Microsoft Office

Hi, Vicki. It sounds as if, even though you have unchecked most reputation-based Protection settings under Windows Security>App And Browser Control, you may still have SmartScreen for Microsoft Store apps checked. If you do, it will block what it thinks may be harmful apps from the Microsoft Store.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io [mailto:winaccess@winaccess.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki W
Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 12:55 PM

Hi,

Steps:

and Browser Control.

Thanks.

Vicki

Timothy

Vicki,
If you open Edge's Downloads page, e.g., by pressing Control+J, you should be able to press Applications or shift+F10 on the blocked download and allow it to proceed.

Timothy

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 3:54 PM

Hi,

Steps:

and Browser Control.

Thanks.

Vicki

Vicki W

That didn't work either.

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 2:09 PM

Vicki,
If you open Edge's Downloads page, e.g., by pressing Control+J, you should be able to press Applications or shift+F10 on the blocked download and allow it to proceed.

Timothy

Hi,

Steps:

and Browser Control.

Thanks.

Vicki

Bill White

Hi, Vicki. There is also a setting in Microsoft Edge under the category, Privacy, Search and Services. It is called,

Microsoft Defender SmartScree

Help protect me from malicious sites and downloads with Microsoft Defender SmartScreen.

If this is checked, it can also block downloads.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 2:10 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io

That didn't work either.

Vicki,

Timothy

Hi,

Steps:

and Browser Control.

Thanks.

Vicki

Arianna Sepulveda

I've had Smart Screen block programs from installing, but there was always a way to tell Windows I wanted to install the program anyway. I haven't had to do this in a while, so my memory may be faulty, but I think if you pressed the info button on the screen, you would find the option to proceed with the installation. I would think there would be a similar setting for downloads that are being blocked. When the program is blocked, does Windows inform you via a pop-up dialogue? You may want to go hunting around in there to see if you can find an info button or link. I'm hoping you can get this unblocked. I may be totally off base here, but I thought I'd put in my two cents, just in case they lead to a resolution for you.

Thanks,
Ari

On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:21 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Hi, Vicki. There is also a setting in Microsoft Edge under the category, Privacy, Search and Services. It is called,

Help protect me from malicious sites and downloads with Microsoft Defender SmartScreen.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

That didn't work either.

Vicki,

Timothy

Hi,

Steps:

and Browser Control.

Thanks.

Vicki

Vicki W

Thank you to everyone who helped. I finally got it with a lot of patience and persistence. I'm not sure what the actual problem was because everything was set correctly and I didn't change anything. Anyway, it's done!

Vicki

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:05 PM

I've had Smart Screen block programs from installing, but there was always a way to tell Windows I wanted to install the program anyway. I haven't had to do this in a while, so my memory may be faulty, but I think if you pressed the info button on the screen, you would find the option to proceed with the installation. I would think there would be a similar setting for downloads that are being blocked. When the program is blocked, does Windows inform you via a pop-up dialogue? You may want to go hunting around in there to see if you can find an info button or link. I'm hoping you can get this unblocked. I may be totally off base here, but I thought I'd put in my two cents, just in case they lead to a resolution for you.

Thanks,
Ari

On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:21 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

That didn't work either.

Vicki,

Timothy

Hi,

Steps:

and Browser Control.

Thanks.

Vicki

hi.
if you are downloading a lifetime version of office such as office
2016 or 2019, you can use a website called.
https://www.heidoc.net
Carey Holzmen had made a video about this website some days back.
its a totally leagle website which gets their isos from microsoft
technet servers.
this is the link to that video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FyhRtjAxfw

On 7/18/21, Vicki W <vwherry4@comcast.net> wrote:
Thank you to everyone who helped. I finally got it with a lot of patience
and persistence. I'm not sure what the actual problem was because everything
was set correctly and I didn't change anything. Anyway, it's done!

Vicki

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 5:05 PM

I've had Smart Screen block programs from installing, but there was always
a way to tell Windows I wanted to install the program anyway. I haven't had
to do this in a while, so my memory may be faulty, but I think if you
pressed the info button on the screen, you would find the option to proceed
with the installation. I would think there would be a similar setting for
downloads that are being blocked. When the program is blocked, does Windows
inform you via a pop-up dialogue? You may want to go hunting around in there
to see if you can find an info button or link. I'm hoping you can get this
unblocked. I may be totally off base here, but I thought I'd put in my two
cents, just in case they lead to a resolution for you.

Thanks,
Ari

On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:21 PM, Bill White <billwhite92701@att.net> wrote:

Hi, Vicki. There is also a setting in Microsoft Edge under the category,
Privacy, Search and Services. It is called,

Help protect me from malicious sites and downloads with Microsoft
Defender SmartScreen.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

[mailto:winaccess@winaccess.groups.io] On Behalf Of Vicki W

That didn't work either.

Vicki,
If you open Edge's Downloads page, e.g., by pressing Control+J, you
should be able to press Applications or shift+F10 on the blocked download
and allow it to proceed.

Timothy

Hi,

I have been trying to download Microsoft office from the office
website while signed into my account so I can install it, but the download
gets stuck at about 7 megs. I get a message that "this file was blocked
because this type of file might harm your computer." I've downloaded other
.exe files without issue, but this one won't download.

The below instructions were posted by Bill white awhile back, so I
made sure that everything was set according to his steps. Still, it won't
download. How can I fix this problem if the steps below aren't working?

Steps:

4. In the Categories that display in Windows Security, press ENTER
on App
and Browser Control.
5. Turn off all settings under Reputation-based Protection,
especially Smart

There was also a link under reputation based protection called
history protection or something like that. There was a filter button at the
top, so should I clear all filters under this as well?

Thanks.

Vicki

--
to listen to the Blind Android Users Podcast visit.
www.blindandroidusers.com
To join our mailing list, send those “join requests” to:
blindandroidusers+subscribe@groups.io
You may follow us on twitter using our handle:
@BlindDroidUsers
https://twitter.com/@BlindDroidUsers
We do have a Telegram group that you can join and share stories or
whatever with our members at:
https://t.me/ANATAD