check, which folder on a disk is largest

J.G

Hello,

some weeks ago, my system has begun to grow in size. I excluded virus and other infections after scanned with antivirus product and I excluded also other unusual behaviour, due to this computer is in use only by me. last installed software on it was hm years ago if I did not count windows updates.
my system will rich its limit on a disk in a couple of days, so I ask you for help diagnosing a problem, or should I reformat system immediately.
also how to check, which folders and files are the largest on a disk and if it is secure, could I delete them?

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Jožef

ps.: system specs: Windows 10 21H2 (x64) build 19044.1826, elitebook 8470p with coreI5 3360m, 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB of SSD

tim

Try doing a disk clean up.

Just use windows key and type disk clean up hit enter.

Then just do what it says.

On 8/6/2022 5:00 AM, J.G wrote:
[...]

already done. it cleaned recycle bin, temporary files etc, but it released only a couple of GB.

thanks.

regards,
Jožef

Sarah k Alawami

Or you can type cleanmgr sageset, then after you choose your options, type cleanmgr sagerun:1. I like that option as well, as for me it just is easier. both methods work, however. You will be surprised. You can also go into storage in settings and run the disk manager that way.

On 8/6/2022 5:00 AM, J.G wrote:

Hello,

some weeks ago, my system has begun to grow in size. I excluded virus and other infections after scanned with antivirus product and I excluded also other unusual behaviour, due to this computer is in use only by me. last installed software on it was hm years ago if I did not count windows updates.
my system will rich its limit on a disk in a couple of days, so I ask you for help diagnosing a problem, or should I reformat system immediately.
also how to check, which folders and files are the largest on a disk and if it is secure, could I delete them?

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Jožef

ps.: system specs: Windows 10 21H2 (x64) build 19044.1826, elitebook 8470p with coreI5 3360m, 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB of SSD

Sarah k Alawami

Also check yore system restore size. That is in that same tab, or group of tabs.

already done. it cleaned recycle bin, temporary files etc, but it released only a couple of GB.

thanks.

regards,
Jožef

Sounds like a call to Microsoft Accessibility might be in order and get them to help you figure out what is happening.

some weeks ago, my system has begun to grow in size. I excluded virus and other infections after scanned with antivirus product and I excluded also other unusual behaviour, due to this computer is in use only by me. last installed software on it was hm years ago if I did not count windows updates.
my system will rich its limit on a disk in a couple of days, so I ask you for help diagnosing a problem, or should I reformat system immediately.
also how to check, which folders and files are the largest on a disk and if it is secure, could I delete them?

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Jožef

ps.: system specs: Windows 10 21H2 (x64) build 19044.1826, elitebook 8470p with coreI5 3360m, 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB of SSD

valiant8086

Go to storage in pc settings.

windows+i/system/storage. After you hit enter on storage, wait a little while for it to figure out what stuff is taking space. Now tab until you get to a list. The list will sort things by order of largest impact on storage space first. If you arrow through here it'll show you if temp  files are doing the most, or system restore etc. However answering the question directly, one of the items says folders. Hitting this will show large folders in the order of largest first.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, AKA Valiant8086 General Partner at Valiant Galaxy Associates "we make (VERY GOOD AUDIOGAMES) for the blind comunity" http://valiantGalaxy.com

[...]

done all steps as they have been written, but I got only 10 GB. so I decided to reformat my computer and perform a clean install.
so here I would like your advice, where "format" option will be offered to me. can I perform clean install via Windows update/restore or should I install system via install media (usb key)? I ask it, because, if format option is offered only via install media, then on the first step I will need a sighted assistance to help me boot computer from install media. if I can perform clean install with format option via windows update/restore, then sighted assistance is not necessary.
when I read the article, which is offered as a help, there is not totaly clear to me, which options offer also "format" option, not only a fresh install without delition of old data.
oh yes, I've made a backup of all important files, keys, licenses etc. so I think, I can safely perform a clean install and start with a "new" system.

thanks.

regards,
Jožef

Hareth

Windows10 and11 offers reset-PC option under the recovery settings.
If you select to delete everything with resetting it, that would be
almost identical to clean installation and best choice if no sighted
help available.
TC

Dave Grossoehme

I don't follow your reasoning on reformating the computer.  Is there a problem as it exist now?

Dave