Disabling Secure Boot?

Clement Chou

Hi all. Wanting to disable secure boot on my Del xps8940 so I can experience with Synchronous Audio Router and some advanced audio setups. Last I checked, narrator wouldn’t work in the boot menu, so we need sighted help doing this. Is this still the case on the latest version of Windows 10? Sighted help is a little difficult to come by at the moment. Thanks for any help!

Clement

You do not want to disable that.

-----Original Message-----
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clement Chou
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 1:20 PM
To: winaccess@groups.io
Subject: [WinAccess] Disabling Secure Boot?

Hi all. Wanting to disable secure boot on my Del xps8940 so I can experience with Synchronous Audio Router and some advanced audio setups. Last I checked, narrator wouldn’t work in the boot menu, so we need sighted help doing this. Is this still the case on the latest version of Windows 10? Sighted help is a little difficult to come by at the moment. Thanks for any help!

Clement

Jason White

Modifying the secure boot setting shouldn't be necessary for audio work.
If you want to install a version of Linux that runs a boot loader not signed by Microsoft, then you have a good reason to deactivate Secure Boot.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: Thursday, 4 August 2022 16:23
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io; winaccess@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] Disabling Secure Boot?

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clement Chou

Clement

Clement Chou

The githhub for SAR says that secure boot is not supported.

On Aug 4, 2022, at 1:30 PM, Jason White via groups.io <jason@...> wrote:

Modifying the secure boot setting shouldn't be necessary for audio work.
If you want to install a version of Linux that runs a boot loader not signed by Microsoft, then you have a good reason to deactivate Secure Boot.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Capelle, Michael C.
Sent: Thursday, 4 August 2022 16:23
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io; winaccess@groups.io
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] Disabling Secure Boot?

Hi all. Wanting to disable secure boot on my Del xps8940 so I can experience with Synchronous Audio Router and some advanced audio setups. Last I checked, narrator wouldn’t work in SynchronousAudioRouter/README.md at master - GitHubhttps://github.com › SynchronousAudioRouter › blob
Other users have confirmed this as well, unless I’m misunderstanding something.
the boot menu, so we need sighted help doing this. Is this still the case on the latest version of Windows 10? Sighted help is a little difficult to come by at the moment. Thanks for any help!

Clement

Jason White

On 5/8/22 03:12, Clement Chou wrote:
The githhub for SAR says that secure boot is not supported.
This seems suspect to me. Unless they give a good explanation of why Secure Boot is a problem, I would stay away from that software.

If it involves booting another operating system, such as Linux or BSD, you may run into accessibility issues - especially if that operating system hasn't been set up with a screen reader pre-installed.

Another possibility is that the software you're considering needs to load drivers that have not been digitally signed. In such a case, I would suggest weighing the security risks carefully.

Secure Boot is not enabled on my machine, but that was done in order to install a Linux distribution which didn't have a boot loader signed by Microsoft.

Apart from accessing the UEFI menus during the boot process, which are not accessible with a screen reader, you may be able to run a Windows utility that lets you modify UEFI variables to turn off Secure Boot. Lenovo machines such as mine have such a tool, but your system may not. It can also be done, if I remember correctly, from the Linux command line.