From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Audiobookfan
Sent: Saturday, August 6, 2022 2:49 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: [WinAccess] Don't want Edge to be default browser

Edge keeps nagging me with a notification asking me if I want Edge to be my default browser. I DO NOT! But there's only a "set as default" and a close button to choose from. I cannot find a "don't ask me again"
checkbox. How do I get Edge to stop asking me if I want it to be my default browser?

Jeff

Bill White

Hi, Sarah. The problem isn't that Jeff wants to choose what browser is the default. He has already done that, and he doesn't want Edge as his default. The problem is that, if Edge isn't the default browser, it keeps coming up with a dialog trying to nag you into making Edge the default browser. There isn't an option to tell Edge to stop nagging every time you open it.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Go to settings, search for default, and choose what you want as the default for a lot of stuff, and I mean a lot of extensions.

Edge keeps nagging me with a notification asking me if I want Edge to be my default browser. I DO NOT! But there's only a "set as default" and a close button to choose from. I cannot find a "don't ask me again"
checkbox. How do I get Edge to stop asking me if I want it to be my default browser?

Jeff

Sarah k Alawami

Oh, I didn't know this. I use chrome and hardly if ever use edge unless I have to. Woopsy doodle. Time to submit feedback to Microsoft then about this, unless it was already submitted. I would have to search the feedback hub.

[...]

Audiobookfan

That's right, Bill. Brave is set as my default browser and I want to keep it that way. But I sometimes want to use Edge just to get comfortable with it, but if it's going to keep nagging me, I may abandon it for Brave all the time.

So you're saying there is no way to stop Edge from nagging me? :(

Jeff

From: Mike B
You can try the following, but you'll have to go to the website to get the
REG fiiles.

Turn On or Off Make Microsoft Edge Default Browser Prompt
Turn On or Off 'Make Microsoft Edge your default browser' Prompt in Windows
10
Published by
Shawn Brink
Category:
Browsers & Email

Turn On or Off 'Make Microsoft Edge your default browser' Prompt in Windows
10
information

Microsoft Edge
 is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family.
It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and compatible with the
modern Web.

When Microsoft Edge is not set as your default  web browser, you will get a
Make Microsoft Edge your default browser prompt in Microsoft Edge to either
Change my default or Don't ask again.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off the Make Microsoft Edge
your default browser prompt for your account in Windows 10.

• Option One:
 To Turn Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in Microsoft
Edge
• Option Two:
 To Turn On or Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt using a
REG file
list end nesting level 1

EXAMPLE: "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in Microsoft Edge

OPTION ONE
To Turn Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in Microsoft
Edge
1. When the Make Microsoft Edge your default browser prompt appears at the
bottom in Microsoft Edge, perform either action below for what you want to
do.
A) Click/tap on Don't ask again to turn off the prompt without making
Microsoft Edge your default browser.
OR
B) Click/tap on Change my default to make Microsoft Edge your default
browser and turn off the prompt.

 OPTION TWO
To Turn On or Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt using a
REG file
 Note
The .reg files below make changes to the DWORD value in the registry key
below.

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local
Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\Main
DisallowDefaultBrowserPrompt DWORD

0 = On
1 = Off

1. Do
step 2
 (on) or
step 3
 (off) below for what you would like to do.

 2. To Turn On "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in
Microsoft Edge
NOTE:This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go
step 4
 below.

Turn_On_Micosoft_Edge_default_browser_prompt.reg

 Download

 3. To Turn Off "Make Microsoft Edge your default browser" prompt in
Microsoft Edge
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go
step 4
 below.

Turn_Off_Micosoft_Edge_default_browser_prompt.reg

 Download
4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, OK
 (UAC),
Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8. If Microsoft Edge is currently open, then close and reopen to apply.

That's it,
Shawn

Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2022 12:10 PM

That's right, Bill. Brave is set as my default browser and I want to
keep it that way. But I sometimes want to use Edge just to get
comfortable with it, but if it's going to keep nagging me, I may abandon
it for Brave all the time.

So you're saying there is no way to stop Edge from nagging me? :(

Jeff

On 8/6/2022 10:06 PM, Bill White wrote:
> Hi, Sarah. The problem isn't that Jeff wants to choose what browser is the default. He has already done that, and he doesn't want Edge as his default. The problem is that, if Edge isn't the default browser, it keeps coming up with a dialog trying to nag you into making Edge the default browser. There isn't an option to tell Edge to stop nagging every time you open it.
>
> Bill White
>
> billwhite92701@...

Bill White

Hi, Jeff. I haven't found a way to get Edge to stop nagging. I even looked it up on Google, and the only way they have found to get Edge to stop nagging is to install the Windows Group Policy Editor, which is supposed to be for Windows Pro, on Windows Home. I would hesitate to do this, though, as it could cause problems for other operations in Windows Home.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Go to settings, search for default, and choose what you want as the default for a lot of stuff, and I mean a lot of extensions.

Edge keeps nagging me with a notification asking me if I want Edge to be my default browser. I DO NOT! But there's only a "set as default" and a close button to choose from. I cannot find a "don't ask me again"
checkbox. How do I get Edge to stop asking me if I want it to be my default browser?

Jeff

Mike B.

Hi Bill,

You don't install Group policy Editor, it's already there in the Home version, it's just hidden and all's you do is unhide it.  I've unhid GPE on with several Windows 10 Home versions and have had zero problems in any of the computers.  Here's a quote from the article and the link is below the quote:

Actually Windows 10 Home and Single Language editions already come with Group Policy Editor program packages included but its disabled by default so users
can't launch the program. But we can activate and enable the program using DISM command.

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/

Hi, Jeff. I haven't found a way to get Edge to stop nagging. I even looked it up on Google, and the only way they have found to get Edge to stop nagging is to install the Windows Group Policy Editor, which is supposed to be for Windows Pro, on Windows Home. I would hesitate to do this, though, as it could cause problems for other operations in Windows Home.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

That's right, Bill. Brave is set as my default browser and I want to
keep it that way. But I sometimes want to use Edge just to get
comfortable with it, but if it's going to keep nagging me, I may abandon
it for Brave all the time.

So you're saying there is no way to stop Edge from nagging me? :(

Jeff

On 8/6/2022 10:06 PM, Bill White wrote:
> Hi, Sarah. The problem isn't that Jeff wants to choose what browser is the default. He has already done that, and he doesn't want Edge as his default. The problem is that, if Edge isn't the default browser, it keeps coming up with a dialog trying to nag you into making Edge the default browser. There isn't an option to tell Edge to stop nagging every time you open it.
>
> Bill White
>
> billwhite92701@...

Audiobookfan

Thanks, guys, for the information. However, the average user, such as myself, should not have to do this to stop the nagging. It's unconscionable that MS does not include the "don't ask me again" option in the notification. Rather than encouraging me to use Edge, it makes me want to avoid it.

I wonder if a Jaws script could be written to recognize that notification and automatically click the close button when it appears.

Jeff

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/ <https://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-group-policy-editor-gpedit-msc-in-windows-7-home-premium-home-basic-and-starter-editions/>
billwhite92701@... <mailto:billwhite92701@...>