Items and Features with NVDA and Windows 11

Dave Grossoehme

Hi:  I have a question for those people using Win11 in the items and features settings.  There use to be a setting to change as to what you want to download.  There were 3 or 4 options.  The 3 I'm sure of are from the Windows Store, or anything, or look for an item similar in the windows store.  I'm not finding anything like this.  It's like it has been removed, unless it has been hidden somewhere else.  It was the 3rd or 4th tab in Items and Features.

Dave

It is "Apps and Features" not "Items and Features".

You can get there in two ways:

1. Press Windows Key + I for settings, press tab once to get into the list of settings categories and arrow down once and right twice to "Apps", then press enter.
Press tab again to go from the edit search field to "Apps and Features", press tab one more time and Jaws will say the following:

Apps & features
Choose where to get apps
Installing apps only from Microsoft Store helps protect your device. Combo box
Anywhere

2. You can get directly to Apps and Features if you press Windows Key + X, the first item in that menu is "Apps and Features" and if you press enter it will take you straight to the " Choose where to get apps " dialogue.

-----Original Message-----
From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 8:27 AM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io
Subject: [WinAccess] Items and Features with NVDA and Windows 11

Hi:  I have a question for those people using Win11 in the items and features settings.  There use to be a setting to change as to what you want to download.  There were 3 or 4 options.  The 3 I'm sure of are from the Windows Store, or anything, or look for an item similar in the windows store.  I'm not finding anything like this.  It's like it has been removed, unless it has been hidden somewhere else.  It was the 3rd or 4th tab in Items and Features.

Dave

Bill White

Hi, Sieghard. Dave was asking specifically about Windows 11. Is the "Choose where to get apps" item featured in Windows 11 as well as in Windows 10?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io [mailto:winaccess@winaccess.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [WinAccess] Items and Features with NVDA and Windows 11

1. Press Windows Key + I for settings, press tab once to get into the list of settings categories and arrow down once and right twice to "Apps", then press enter.
Press tab again to go from the edit search field to "Apps and Features", press tab one more time and Jaws will say the following:

Apps & features
Choose where to get apps
Anywhere

2. You can get directly to Apps and Features if you press Windows Key + X, the first item in that menu is "Apps and Features" and if you press enter it will take you straight to the " Choose where to get apps " dialogue.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme

Hi: I have a question for those people using Win11 in the items and features settings. There use to be a setting to change as to what you want to download. There were 3 or 4 options. The 3 I'm sure of are from the Windows Store, or anything, or look for an item similar in the windows store. I'm not finding anything like this. It's like it has been removed, unless it has been hidden somewhere else. It was the 3rd or 4th tab in Items and Features.

Dave

Hi,

Yes - Settings/Apps/Apps and features. This combo box has moved to a different place in upcoming Windows 11 Version 22H2 (I think it iw tiome to start including which Windows 11 release you've got).

Cheers,

Joseph

Mike B.

Hi Dave,

Press, Windows key + I, to open Settings and tab 1 time into the list of categories.

Down arrow to, Apps, press enter and tab to the list of categories.

The first category is, Apps and Features, press enter, and you'll be on the Choose where to get apps combobox.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2022 8:26 AM

Hi: I have a question for those people using Win11 in the items and
features settings. There use to be a setting to change as to what you
want to download. There were 3 or 4 options. The 3 I'm sure of are
from the Windows Store, or anything, or look for an item similar in the
windows store. I'm not finding anything like this. It's like it has
been removed, unless it has been hidden somewhere else. It was the 3rd
or 4th tab in Items and Features.

Dave

Dave Grossoehme

Thanks Steve for the correction.  I can not get there in settings like you use to be able too.  For some reason yesterday I could not get into it with the Win key + x option.  Thanks for the help here.

Dave

On 8/4/2022 12:12 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:

Apps & features
Choose where to get apps
Anywhere

Dave

Dave Grossoehme

Thanks Bill.  It is still in Win 11 using the win key + x key as far as making the change I was asking about.  In settings there have been some changes made and you can no longer change the option as to how to download files and applications.  I was able to go in there this morning but you have to log in as admin for some reason.  Then the option doesn't come right up.  Sometimes, you have to tab through and then shift  tab back to it then press enter.

Dave

On 8/4/2022 12:32 PM, Bill White wrote:
Hi, Sieghard. Dave was asking specifically about Windows 11. Is the "Choose where to get apps" item featured in Windows 11 as well as in Windows 10?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io [mailto:winaccess@winaccess.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel

Apps & features
Choose where to get apps
Anywhere

Hi: I have a question for those people using Win11 in the items and features settings. There use to be a setting to change as to what you want to download. There were 3 or 4 options. The 3 I'm sure of are from the Windows Store, or anything, or look for an item similar in the windows store. I'm not finding anything like this. It's like it has been removed, unless it has been hidden somewhere else. It was the 3rd or 4th tab in Items and Features.

Dave

Sorry, I overlooked the bit about Windows 11 and unfortunately I have not yet upgraded to Windows 11 (or maybe fortunately)!
Anyways, out of the 4 computers I have at my business only my office PC can even be upgraded and only just as it has an 8th generation I7 CPU, two more have 6th generation I5 and I7 CPU's and one is an I5 and I think it's a fourth generation, but it still runs well for what we need it for. My Asus Zenbook which I mostly use at home only has a 6th generation I7 CPU as well so I am not planning to upgrade for some time to come.
I will most likely wait until at least late 2023 or maybe even 2024 as long as all my computers continue to work well and then buy 4 new mini PC's for my store and a new laptop all at once so that I can buy identical PC's.

From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Thursday, August 4, 2022 9:33 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Apps & features
Choose where to get apps
Installing apps only from Microsoft Store helps protect your device. Combo box Anywhere

Dave