Jaws Page Refresh set to “off” cannot stop repeated announcements.

Peter Tesar

Hello,

The Hudson Bay’s online shopping page continuously announces promo messages.

There is a list of about 10 promo messages and these are put on the page -- Line 1 if the Virtual Cursor is off and line 5 with the Virtual Cursor on.

When on the web page, I get to the quick settings with Insert plus v.

setting the Jaws screen echo to “off” does not stop the annoying messages.

https://www.thebay.com/account/login

Just going to the log in page and waiting will start these promo announcements.

Press CTRL to interrupt the message and a new message starts a few seconds later.

What stops the announcements is to uncheck: Announce Live Region Updates

I then set Page Refresh back to “automatically” and there are no announcements.

These setting stay the same for other web pages.

I don't know what is Announce Live Region Updates.

I don’t know the effect on other pages if I leave unchecked the Announce Live Region Updates.

Is there a quick settings that can be set for a particular web page.

Peter T.

Carlos

Hello:

In Edge and Firefox you can start immersive reader and that will sometimes stop the web sites carousel which is responsible for those annoying ads.

This is not a screen reader specific issue. Its a web site issue.

On 9/8/2021 6:24 PM, Peter Tesar wrote:

[...]

Yes, I checked it out and even when turning off page refresh the messages read. They are not as annoying as on some sites, but certainly enough so that I wouldn't order anything from The Bay, too bad in a way, for us Canadians that store has a lot of meaning, but the fact is they aren't what they once were not even delivering to remote postal codes or the Territories where they once made their fortune.

If it's important to you I would contact them and try to explain that they really should make their website more accessible. Of course all I can say is good luck, might not be easy to get somebody on the phone or find the right email address of somebody who cares and can do anything about it.

[...]

Paula Waby

What exactly IS immersive reader. It has just started appearing when I open websites.

Cheers

Paula.

Paula Waby

ACATS Trainer

Blind Low Vision NZ

Kāpō, Matarehu Aotearoa

P: 03 466 4244 ext: 4244 | E: pwaby@...

Corner of Hillside Road & Law Street

Dunedin 9012

Read our new resource ‘Clearing Our Way’, dedicated to the blind, deaf blind and low vision community

[...]

Privacy Disclaimer: This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.

Press F9 if you hear it and whatever page content will be in a much more easy to read format without ads, social media links and so on. Press F9 again to exit Immersive Reader.

[...]

Bill White

Hi, Paula. Immersive reader is a feature in Microsoft Edge, and in Google Chrome that brings up a website in a form that is easier to read, because the ads, the links, and many of the other things which get in the way are stripped from the display of the page.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

It is exclusive to Edge, in Chrome you can achieve similar results via various Extensions, but none provide as seamless and good of an experience as the Immersive Reader feature in Edge.