Looking to purchase a new laptop

Kathy Pingstock

Good afternoon

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

What is your budget? Whatever you do, make sure the battery is external and detachable. 8, 16 or more gigs of ram wouldn't be a bad thing.

I hear that Lenovo and HP are good. If you go with Dell, get a business machine.

On 10/8/2021 4:08 PM, Kathy Pingstock wrote:
Good afternoon

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

Dan Longmore

Hi,
Most new PC's are pre installed with Windows 11. Having said that online,
refurbished and some retailers may still have Windows 10 PC's at a discount.
Both OS systems have a few years of life and support.
I have used a Dell laptop and have been very happy with the unit. Is about
6 years old, cannot run Windows 11, but remains fast and reliable.

Dan

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for
a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with
windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader
program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

Is it a business type laptop, out of curiosity?

On 10/8/2021 6:06 PM, Dan Longmore wrote:
Hi,
  Most new PC's are pre installed with Windows 11.  Having said that online,
refurbished and some retailers may still have Windows 10 PC's at a discount.
Both OS systems have a few years of life and support.
I have used a Dell laptop and have been very happy with the unit.  Is about
6 years old, cannot run Windows 11, but remains fast and  reliable.

Dan

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for
a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with
windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader
program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

Dan Longmore

No not a business system

On Oct 8, 2021, at 7:35 PM, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:

Is it a business type laptop, out of curiosity?

On 10/8/2021 6:06 PM, Dan Longmore wrote:
Hi,
  Most new PC's are pre installed with Windows 11.  Having said that online,
refurbished and some retailers may still have Windows 10 PC's at a discount.
Both OS systems have a few years of life and support.
I have used a Dell laptop and have been very happy with the unit.  Is about
6 years old, cannot run Windows 11, but remains fast and  reliable.

Dan

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for
a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with
windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader
program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

Just make sure any computer you now buy meets the Windows 11 requirements, many of them will very specifically say they are ready for Windows 11.

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

That is not exactly true at this stage. I have been looking to buy a new laptop as well and am prepared to spend $2,000 to $2,500 to Canadian get exactly what I want which is a Lenovo Thinkpad of some kind and at this point none of even these high-end business laptops come with Windows 11 preinstalled. Lenovo states they are ready for Windows 11 and that you can upgrade for free, but they say it will be late 2021 and earl 2022 before they will ship with Windows 11 preinstalled.

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

Dan Longmore

Depends on where you are located I would venture. Here in northeast US many
promoting Windows 11 loaded PC's.
Dan

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for
a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with
windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader
program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

Jason White

High-end business laptops are the only options that I would consider buying at this point, for performance and reliability reasons. My preference is for the machines designated as mobile workstations.
If they fit your budget, and especially if you're planning to use one for professional purposes, that's the category to investigate. If you're willing to pay for it, you can even buy on-site support, so that if there's a hardware failure, a technician will visit to make repairs. Whether that's worth it depends on what you plan to use the laptop for, and how far you live from a service centre. If you can afford to send it in for repair, then obviously you don't need the on-site service.
Another option would be a used business-class machine that still meets the Windows 11 requirements. This would reduce the purchase costs. There are companies that sell ex-lease machines that have been in a corporate environment for several years. I bought a desktop system once from such a company. I suspect it had been used as a demonstration machine for a year by a PC vendor, before it was sold on at a discount - still under warranty.

That is not exactly true at this stage. I have been looking to buy a new laptop as well and am prepared to spend $2,000 to $2,500 to Canadian get exactly what I want which is a Lenovo Thinkpad of some kind and at this point none of even these high-end business laptops come with Windows 11 preinstalled. Lenovo states they are ready for Windows 11 and that you can upgrade for free, but they say it will be late 2021 and earl 2022 before they will ship with Windows 11 preinstalled.

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

Dan Longmore

Hi,
I use an off the shelf desktop and laptop. Been doing so for many years. Use them for my work and also as a production station for radio broadcasting. High end business models are fine and may be preferred yet speaking from experience are not always necessary.
Dan

[...]

Shawn Bever

Do any of you feel that having a numeric keypad (i.e. full keyboard layout) or a touchscreen on your laptop is important? I've always valued having access to a numeric keypad when using a screen reader. I don't currently have a touchscreen-equipped laptop, but I'm curious as to how others feel about this option.

Personally I'd try to buy a machine with at least an Intel core i5 or i7, or a 6+ core late model AMD Ryzen processor, third generation Ryzen or newer.

Shawn
On 10/8/2021 1:08 PM, Kathy Pingstock wrote:

Good afternoon

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

chris judge

I prefer laptops with a num pad but have never had any use for the touch screen.

Chris Judge

JAWS Certified, 2021

Do any of you feel that having a numeric keypad (i.e. full keyboard layout) or a touchscreen on your laptop is important? I've always valued having access to a numeric keypad when using a screen reader. I don't currently have a touchscreen-equipped laptop, but I'm curious as to how others feel about this option.

Personally I'd try to buy a machine with at least an Intel core i5 or i7, or a 6+ core late model AMD Ryzen processor, third generation Ryzen or newer.

Shawn

On 10/8/2021 1:08 PM, Kathy Pingstock wrote:

Good afternoon

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

valiant8086

I don’t care too much about the touch screen either way, but I prefer not having a numpad for a laptop. I always use laptop layout mode for every screen reader, so the numpad, if I do have one is just extra that I may use for a specific situation but not required. I think of a laptop as something extra portable, so numpad goes against my grain, but not judging other ideas as wrong. I like keeping my hands on the home row, so the numpad is just extra reaching I’m not wanting to have to do. I even use the caps lock and jkl u i o and m comma period a lot to navigate instead of reaching for the arrow keys. Depends what I’m doing.

On October 9, 2021 8:29:16 PM "Shawn Bever" <shawn.bever@...> wrote:

Do any of you feel that having a numeric keypad (i.e. full keyboard layout) or a touchscreen on your laptop is important? I've always valued having access to a numeric keypad when using a screen reader. I don't currently have a touchscreen-equipped laptop, but I'm curious as to how others feel about this option.

Personally I'd try to buy a machine with at least an Intel core i5 or i7, or a 6+ core late model AMD Ryzen processor, third generation Ryzen or newer.

Shawn
On 10/8/2021 1:08 PM, Kathy Pingstock wrote:
Good afternoon

The computer I recently have has took a dump, I am in the market to look for a new laptop my question is do I wait to do windows 11 or do I stick with windows $.10 window so 11 is new I am all updated with my jaws screen reader program.

Any help would be appreciated thank you Kathy

Personally I can't do without a numpad, but that partly has to do with the fact that when I became blind I also lost the index and middle fingers on each hand and pressing certain key combinations involving many modifier keys aren't possible for me. On the other hand I am so used to using Jaws with the numpad after having done so for 32 years that I am not very interested in trying to relearn and rewire all that muscle memory.

I am actually considering a smaller Lenovo laptop without a numpad, but then I usually have my laptop in my home office and I'll work elsewhere with a wireless keyboard and headset.

My current Asus Zenbook has a 4K Touch Screen and I bought it in 2016 thinking it might nice to use the touch screen, but the fact is that I never do.

Whether you buy an I5 or I7 computer is not all that relevant, I think it's more important what generation of processor you buy and now with the next generation of Intel and AMD processors probably around the corner I would recommend people look at 11th Generation Intel chips and the AMD Ryzen 5000 series chips which in most tests I read about kick Intel's butt.

I am really looking for a laptop with a medium to high-end Ryzen 5000 processor and while Lenovo has a few, they definitely still have a lot more with Intel 10th and 11th Generation processors and if you wanted to spend a little less that is where I would go, either an Intel 10th Generation or an AMD Ryzen 4000 series processor.

[...]

matthew dyer

Hi,

I have used keyboards with a numbed and without and do not have a preference.  I think laptop without a numpad would be a little lighter.  Anyway, I say get what you can afford and nothing more.

Matthew

On Oct 10, 2021, at 12:37 PM, Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

[...]

Chip generation is definitely important, I had intended to mention that at least a 10th generation Intel cpu would be preferable when considering Intel processors. Personally I'm with you in preferring AMD processors. I'll likely be buying a new laptop in the next few months and plan to get something with a Ryzen 5000 series (or newer if available) processor, in the medium to upper performance level.

One reason I've been interested in a touch screen is that I thought it might be able to provide some context in terms of the visual layout of user interfaces and web pages, aspects that are essentially lost when using a screen reader. This assumes, of course, that the touch screen on a PC functions like one on a smart phone by voicing what is under your finger.

Shawn Bever

[...]

Narrator, JAWS, and NVDA does support touch features (my own ThinkPad is equipped with a touchscreen as I needed this feature for one of my NVDA add-ons).

[...]

David Chittenden

I only get laptops with touchscreens. As Apple and Google have proven so well, touchscreens are the wave of the present and near future.

For apps which are accessible to it, Narrator is excellent with the touchscreen. On the other hand, as of late last year, JAWS was terrible with the touchscreen.

Kind regards,

David Chittenden', MSc, FACA, IICT, MRCAA
dchittenden@...
+61 488 988 936
This message is confidential. If you receive it in error, please delete immediately.

On 10/10/21 18:12, David Chittenden wrote:

I only get laptops with touchscreens. As Apple and Google have proven so well, touchscreens are the wave of the present and near future.

Mine has a touchscreen, which I almost never use. However, if I needed graph sonification or the ability to check layout, I might use it.

If I remember rightly, there's an NVDA add-on for the graph sonification application, and I think it uses the touchscreen - but I can't recall the details - so I might be wrong on that point.

And the size of a laptop has little to do with the price, there are inexpensive 15 inch  laptops with a Numpad and very expensive 13 inch laptops without.