MS Outlook on the web - Document Blank

Russell James

Greetings,

I have been using MS Outlook on the web with Firefox browsers on multiple Windows 10 computers for some time now.

The other day I ran into a strange new problem that I have not seen before.

When I select the drafts folder and then select a specific message on that list my screen reader says document blank
When this is heard the message fields are presented but are not accessible/spoken by the screen reader.

I can select fields in the message compose window but the content will not be read by the screen reader.
Whether I use the mouse or arrow keys I cannot read the content with the screen reader.
I think while I'm typing the characters are spoken.

This does not happen with the other folders of messages only the drafts folder and it's messages
Perhaps that is because the drafts folder messages are the only ones that are presented for message composition.

I accidentally discovered a way to work around this problem
If the Outlook window is covered by another window and it is minimized
Then accessibility returns to that Outlook compose window

I don't know what made this start happening

It has happened on multiple computers
All of which are running Firefox browsers
It has happened with the regular Firefox and the Firefox Nightly

I have seen this with NVDA using the latest and some old versions

I can't help wonder if anyone else is seeing this problem

Thank you

Russ

Hank W

Hello,

I have tried to use outlook on the web with jaws 2022 using google chrome with no success.

So you find it is very jaws user friendly to look at received emails in your inbox and compose new emails in the web version of outlook using jaws 2022 using firefox? Did you also maybe have a lot of trouble trying to use the web version of outlook with jaws 2022 using google chrome?

I ask these questions as I will soon need to start using the web based version of outlook with jaws 2022 as a work from home customer service agent.

So any helpful info you can maybe give me on how I can make using outlook on the web a lot, a lot more jaws user friendly, so I can much, much more successfully use the web based version of outlook to manage emails using my July 22 release of jaws 2022 would be so very much appreciated. 😊 Much, much thanks in advance for any possible help with these above questions I have about using outlook.com hopefully much, much more successful with jaws 2022.

Kindest regards,

Hank

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Hank,

Sorry for any confusion,
I'm not a JAWS user
As I indicated in my original message
I'm using the NVDA screen reader
I'm using the latest version and have tried old ones...

Russ

[...]

I wanted to provide an update for anyone following this conversation

This is a new problem for me and it is having a significant impact on my ability to use MS Outlook on the web to manage/compose draft messages

Unfortunately, what I thought was a reliable work around does not always work.
Sometimes when I minimize a window that is covering the browser/outlook window it will become accessible but not always.
When it does become accessible I think I hear the screen reader say something like reading pane...

Because I'm experiencing this problem on multiple computers, firefox and nightly, and multiple NVDA versions
It seems like this problem is with the MS Outlook web client as it is the common component...

If anyone else has experienced this problem and has any recommendations I would be very interested.

If anyone knows how to contact MS Outlook support or how to report problems I would also be interested.

Thank you

Russ

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 11:42 AM Russell James <4rjames@...> wrote:
[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Can you try the client? I would not rely on the web; also did you maximize the page as that often works as well.

[...]

Marci Duty

I did some research after reading this thread. There are some steps we have to perform to get Outlook.com to work from the keyboard. The disability answer desk may be able to answer questions as well as outlook.com is a Microsoft site.

Here is the document I composed. After turning on the keyboard short cuts, and warning my document needs some edits as I copied and pasted from different sources, I uses the JAWS command to suspend quick keys, JAWS Key Shift Z.

I also changed some settings having Outlook.com show individual messages and hide the reading pane.

For many repeated tasks, you may find Outlook.com's keyboard shortcuts particularly effective. You don't have to remember them all, and you may already be familiar with some from other email programs and Windows.

Instructions in this article apply to Outlook.com and Outlook Online.

Enable Outlook.com Keyboard Shortcuts

To turn Outlook.com keyboard shortcuts on or off:

Select Settings.

Selecting settings in Outlook.com.

Select View all Outlook settings.

Selecting view all outlook settings in Outlook.com.

Select General > Accessibility.

Selecting accessibility in Outlook.com.

Select Outlook.com.

Selecting to use Outlook.com shortcuts in Outlook.com.

Use Outlook.com Keyboard Shortcuts

To handle email swiftly in Outlook.com, use the following keyboard shortcuts:

Compose Emails:

N: Start a new message.

Ctrl+Enter or Alt+S: Send the selected message.

R: Reply to the selected message.

A or Shift+R: Reply all to the selected message.

Shift+F: Forward the selected message.

Ctrl+S: Save the selected message as a draft.

Esc: Discard the draft.

Ctrl+K: Insert a hyperlink.

Additional Email Actions:

Ctrl+Z: Undo the last action.

Del or Delete: Delete the selected message.

Shift+Delete: Permanently delete the selected message.

Shift+E: Create a new folder.

Q: Mark the selected message as read.

U: Mark the select message as unread.

Ins or Insert: Flag the selected message

E: Archive

J: Mark the selected message as junk

V: Move to a folder

C: Categorize the selected message

Read Email:

O or Enter: Open the selected message.

Shift+Enter: Open selected message in a new window.

Esc: Close the selected message.

Ctrl+. (period): Open the next item.

Ctrl+, (comma): Open the previous item.

X: Expand or collapse a conversation.

View the Email List:

Ctrl+A: Select all messages.

Esc: Clear all messages.

Home or Ctrl+Home: Select the first message.

Navigation and Miscellaneous:

Ctrl+Shift+1: Go to Mail.

Ctrl+Shift+2: Go to Calendar.

Ctrl+Shift+3: Go to People.

Ctrl+Shift+4: Go to Tasks.

G then I: Go to Inbox.

G then D: Go to Drafts.

G then S: Go to Sent.

/ (forward slash): Search your email.

? (question mark): Show help.

click here

Write email

Create a new email message

Send this message

Ctrl+Enter / Alt+S

R / Ctrl+R

Shift+R / Ctrl+Shift+R

Forward this message

Shift+F / Ctrl+Shift+F

Save draft

Ctrl+S

Discard draft

Esc

Insert a hyperlink

Ctrl+K

Exit message editor

Alt+F10

Email list

Select/Unselect this message

Ctrl+Space

Select all messages

Ctrl+A

Clear all messages

Esc

Select first message

Home / Ctrl+Home

Select last message

End / Ctrl+End

Read email

Open this message

O / Enter

Open this message in a new window

Shift+Enter

Close this message

Esc

Open the next item

Ctrl+.

Open the previous item

Ctrl+,

Next item in the reading pane

.

Previous item in the reading pane

,

Expand/Collapse a conversation

Go to

Go to Mail

Ctrl+Shift+1

Go to Calendar

Ctrl+Shift+2

Go to People

Ctrl+Shift+3

Go to To Do

Ctrl+Shift+4

Go to Inbox

G then I

Go to Drafts

G then D

Go to Sent

G then S

Search your email

Alt+Q

Show help

?

Email actions

Undo last action

Ctrl+Z

Permanently delete this message

Shift+Delete

Create new folder

Shift+E

Mark this message as read

Q / Ctrl+Q

Mark this message as unread

U / Ctrl+U

Flag this message

Insert

Archive

Mark this message as junk

Move to a folder

Categorize this message

Ignore

Ctrl+Delete

Snooze

To change, go to Settings.

Texas smiles,

Marci Duty

Email: marci.smiles@...

Phone: (214) 732-5788

Isaiah 30:15

For this is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, the Holy One of Israel, says:

“By returning to me and resting, you will be saved;

Your strength will be in keeping calm and showing trust.”

JAWS Certified, 2022

[...]

Hi Sarah,

No, I have not had to use the Windows Client for Outlook as the web client has worked for me in the past and has been working well for many previous months.
I wish I knew what changed a couple days ago...

Yes, I usually use the web client from a firefox window that is maximized.

If I canot find a reasonable work around or solution I may be forced to switch to a Windows client.
However, I don't have a Windows Outlook client on every computer where I am currently using the web client.

Hi Marci,

Thank you for sharing your usage/settings with JAWS.
Please understand I am not a JAWS user.
I am doing this with NVDA.

I'll search for this disability answer desk you mentioned...

Hi Hank,

You may find the instructions shared by Marci helpful for what you are considering.

Thank you all!

Russ

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 12:33 PM Marci Duty <marci.smiles@...> wrote:

[...]

Have you tried it with Edge or Chrome?

[...]

Yes, I have tried it with Edge
Essentially the same results

Thank you for your suggestion

Russ

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 8:54 PM Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...> wrote:

[...]

Timothy Wynn

I use Outlook on the web daily for work with Microsoft Edge and NVDA. I can't reproduce the issue you are having, but as everyone gets different code updates at different times, I'm sure it will occur sooner or later. One of the tips that I find most useful is to go into its settings, under Mail>Layout, and change the "Reading pane" option to "Hide reading pane". That way, when you open a message, it will actually give you a verbal indication of things.

Timothy

Russell James

Hi Tim

Thank you for your message!

Like you I use it everyday for work as well and it has become significantly difficult to compose email messages :-(

It is interesting that you mentioned the reading pain because it does seem like when things are not working and I select a message in the drafts list it will say document blank but at one point today I was on one of those messages and it said something like reading pain and it became accessible..

I really don't know what changed last week for me but it's affecting office on the web for me from all my computers

I did a call with a Microsoft disability assistant this evening and they spent a lot of time checking things looking at multiple computers looking at all my settings reviewing the screen reader trying narrator instead of nvda and they came to the same conclusion that I suspected which it must be a web client software related problem

They told me there was nothing I could do but wait for an update and when it comes I will see it working again and if it doesn't happen to call back at some point :-(

I really hope this never happens with my Gmail account

Russ

Russell James

Hi Tim,

When I hide the reading pane it does not help

BTW
When I select a message from the drafts list and things stop being accessible it seems to affect the entire browser tab
When I select a different folder it all becomes accessible again...

Today I noticed
When this notification is presented above the draft message things become accessible again:
We're sorry, we couldn't access Viva Insights. Make sure you have a network connection. If the problem continues, please try again later. Dismiss

Russ