.msg and text files

Sugar

Greetings all,

I am not sure if there is such a program that could help but lately, I’ve been attempting to change all my files on my documents to text files. I currently have them as .msg)from my outlook or e mail)

I have way to many of them.

I don’t want to change every file, since I like the option of going directly to a link and pressing enter to take me where I need to go, if I need to.

This is very helpful

I do have, for example, recipes and thing of this sort that I really don’t need to have them in msg. files.

does anyone know if there is a program that will convert msg. files to text? Using

Using windows 10, office 2016, Jaws 2021  and outlook

thanks

Sugar

"Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

Colossians 4:5-6

🙏 -Please support me in my journey to another opportunity of life at:

Sugar

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon:  To my knowledge there isn't a program to change the name of the program so it would be a .txt file, but in the save area of your program, you can rename your file to .txt when saving it.

Dave

On 9/10/2021 4:23 PM, Sugar Lopez wrote:

[...]

JM Casey

I didn’t respond because I was a little unclear on what exactly was wanted.

As far as I know, an .msg file could be almost anything, which might be contained in a message, including attachments. But it could also just be a plain text file that is saved as a message object by an email programme.

What is it that you are wanting to do exactly? Open them in notepad? You can do that by selecting “all” filetypes.

[...]

Hi:  You could be correct.  I took it to mean that they had a message file or file name that they wish to change to a .txt file.  If I misread their message I apologize for being wrong.

Dave

On 9/14/2021 2:40 PM, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

I’m not sure. If the messages are in html and you want to strip out the html code and possibly replace them with ‘real” formatting, you would need to do a lot more than change the filename. On the other hand, you could still read the files as they are, since html is really just text anyway.

Anyway, changing filenames is really easy with command line. Just do

Ren *.msg,*.txt

And there you go.

But, it won’t do anything with your files, obviously, but change the extensions.

[...]

Afternoon:  I hope this member gets back to us to tell us what they wanted.  Their message said that they didn't need certain files in a message form, so, they could use the links.  They wanted certain files in text format, so they could read them.  They wrote that there were recipes that needed to be in text form.

Dave

On 9/14/2021 3:03 PM, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

Adrian Spratt

Sugar’s reference to .MSG files suggests she’d like to convert email messages to text. If so, and if she uses Outlook, it can be done specifically for selected files, such as all the messages in a recipes folder.

Maybe she’ll post again and clarify.