From: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io> on behalf of Ján Kulik <jan.kulik.szsle@...>
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 10:28:33 PM
To: winaccess@winaccess.groups.io <winaccess@winaccess.groups.io>
Subject: [winaccess] No shutdown, logoff, etc. sounds are played in windows 10

Hi all.
In one Czechoslovak discussion forum, one member published an article on how to set the sound to play when the user logs out of the system or decides to shut down or restart the computer so that the sound informs about events.
In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER AppEvents EventLabels registers, I found the following registry keys to edit them: SystemExist, WindowsLogoff, WindowsLogon, and WindowsUnlock.
These 4 registry keys had a value of 1, which just needed to be adjusted to 0. Once I did, the given event sound, such as the windows shutdown event, should play. Unfortunately, it doesn't work even if all sound events are active and playing system sounds, only when I shut down the system and assign a sound to it that shuts down windows will not play at all, while I tested it with the keyboard shortcut alt + t. What actually happened in Windows 10? Is it true that some operating system updates have prevented them from doing so? Then how do we blind find that Windows has shut down when it's not playing sound?
Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.1110

I used to set up the shutdown sound through the Task Scheduler, but I have gotten so used to not having it that I don't bother any more.

You have to remember that there are times when even hearing the shutdown sound does not mean Windows has successfully shut down, something could block it and you'll never know.

In any case, even though my laptop is very quiet, I can still hear if it has shut down or not if I put my ear close to it, alternatively if you have an external hard drive you can usually tell easily if it's still vibrating which it won't do if Windows has shut down and there is no more power going to it.

Anyways, if you really want that shut down sound, you can try the following, just make sure you have fast startup disabled because if you don't this won't really work because Windows doesn't really shut down. In fact, if you have done the registry edits and you don't get the shutdown sound I would check this first. Here is how to do it through Task Manager:

Play Sound at Shutdown in Windows 10

Starting in Windows 8, the Windows Shutdown sound event has been disabled. This leaves you unable to change or play the Windows Shutdown sound when a user selects to shut down the PC in Windows 10. As a workaround, you can still create an elevated task to play a sound at shutdown Windows 10.

This tutorial will show you how to play a sound at shutdown for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to create an elevated task. Here's How:

1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type taskschd.msc into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Task Scheduler.

2. Click/tap on Task Scheduler Library in the left pane of Task Scheduler, and click/tap on Create Task in the right Actions pane.

3. In the General tab, type a name (ex: "Play shutdown sound") you want for this task.

4. In the General tab, select Run whether user is logged on or not.

5. In the General tab, check the Run with highest privileges box.

6. In the General tab, select Windows 10 in the Configure for drop down.

7. Click/tap on the Triggers tab, and click/tap on the New button.

8. Perform the actions below:

A) Select "On an event" in the Begin the task drop down.

B) Select "System" in the Log drop down.

C) Type "1074" (user initiated shutdown) in the Event ID drop down, and click/tap on OK.

9. Click/tap on the Actions tab, and click/tap on the New button.

10. Perform the actions below:

A) Select Start a program in the Action drop down.

B) Type "PowerShell" in the Program/script field box.

C) Enter the command below into the Add arguments field box, and click/tap on OK.

-c (New-Object Media.SoundPlayer 'C:\Windows\Media\Windows Shutdown.wav').PlaySync();

Note: If you wanted to play a sound (.wav file) of your choice instead, you can substitute C:\Windows\Media\Windows Shutdown.wav in the command above with the full path of the .wav file you want to be played.

11. Click/tap on the Conditions tab, uncheck the "Start the task only if the computer is on AC power" and click/tap on OK.

12. You will be prompted to enter your account's password, do so and click/tap on OK.

The "Play Shutdown Sound" task is now finished, and will now play a sound when the PC is shutdown.

[...]

Curtis Delzer

We have wanted that "windows logoff" sound to work ever since 2015 when windows ten was brand new.
I even received a patch from MS accessability which didn't work probably for the same reason you outline in your message.
Having a "windows shut down" message would let us know when windows was rebooting as well because it'd have to shut down before, etc. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 7/19/2021 7:28 AM, Ján Kulik wrote:
[...]

Ján Kulik

Thanks for the tip.

Because when I had windows 7, the sound played when the system shut down.
Well, I did this by putting my ear to my laptop and hearing if the computer turned off completely but the fan went down when the system was restarted.

Kevin Minor

Hi.

I have a Bluetooth speaker that I use with my laptop. For me, the way I know Windows has shut down is my speaker makes a sound indicating it's no longer paired with the PC. If I'm restarting, the sound that lets me know it's paired is heard.

Works for me.

Kevin and Jilly

[...]

Hi,
At least the good news is that Windows 11 brought back startup sound, although it is softer than in past releases.

[...]

Hi Joseph.

I've never had a problem with Windows Startup sound. It's working great on Windows 10, latest non insider build for me.

Kevin and Jilly

[...]

Mike B.

Well holy moly great guacomolie, that's what I've been waiting for since Widows 10 came out, now I'm ready to get me a Widows 11 computer!  LOL  LOL  Sorry  just couldn't resist.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

At least the good news is that Windows 11 brought back startup sound, although it is softer than in past releases.

I have a Bluetooth speaker that I use with my laptop. For me, the way I know Windows has shut down is my speaker makes a sound indicating it's no longer paired with the PC. If I'm restarting, the sound that lets me know it's paired is heard.

Works for me.

Kevin and Jilly

We have wanted that "windows logoff" sound to work ever since 2015 when windows ten was brand new.
I even received a patch from MS accessability which didn't work probably for the same reason you outline in your message.
Having a "windows shut down" message would let us know when windows was rebooting as well because it'd have to shut down before, etc. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 7/19/2021 7:28 AM, Ján Kulik wrote:
> Hi all.
> In one Czechoslovak discussion forum, one member published an article
> on how to set the sound to play when the user logs out of the system
> or decides to shut down or restart the computer so that the sound
> informs about events.
> In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER AppEvents EventLabels registers, I found the
> following registry keys to edit them: SystemExist, WindowsLogoff,
> WindowsLogon, and WindowsUnlock.
> These 4 registry keys had a value of 1, which just needed to be
> adjusted to 0. Once I did, the given event sound, such as the windows
> shutdown event, should play. Unfortunately, it doesn't work even if
> all sound events are active and playing system sounds, only when I
> shut down the system and assign a sound to it that shuts down windows
> will not play at all, while I tested it with the keyboard shortcut alt
> + t. What actually happened in Windows 10? Is it true that some
> operating system updates have prevented them from doing so? Then how
> do we blind find that Windows has shut down when it's not playing sound?
> Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.1110

Chris

They removed the code for these events except for startup , so you are out of luck until win11 is released where apparently the sounds are back!

[...]

Immigrant

Is it possible to edit the sound? For example, increase its volume with GoldWave?

[...]

I don't think so - if it was a pure wave file, it might be possible, but if it is embedded inside a DLL or other files, then no.

[...]

Monte Single

Great guacamole!  Indeed.

A new p c!  that’s a lot of   refried beans, just to hear a startup sound.

Well holy moly great guacomolie, that's what I've been waiting for since Widows 10 came out, now I'm ready to get me a Widows 11 computer!  LOL  LOL  Sorry  just couldn't resist.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

At least the good news is that Windows 11 brought back startup sound, although it is softer than in past releases.

I have a Bluetooth speaker that I use with my laptop. For me, the way I know Windows has shut down is my speaker makes a sound indicating it's no longer paired with the PC. If I'm restarting, the sound that lets me know it's paired is heard.

Works for me.

Kevin and Jilly

We have wanted that "windows logoff" sound to work ever since 2015 when windows ten was brand new.
I even received a patch from MS accessability which didn't work probably for the same reason you outline in your message.
Having a "windows shut down" message would let us know when windows was rebooting as well because it'd have to shut down before, etc. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 7/19/2021 7:28 AM, Ján Kulik wrote:
> Hi all.
> In one Czechoslovak discussion forum, one member published an article
> on how to set the sound to play when the user logs out of the system
> or decides to shut down or restart the computer so that the sound
> informs about events.
> In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER AppEvents EventLabels registers, I found the
> following registry keys to edit them: SystemExist, WindowsLogoff,
> WindowsLogon, and WindowsUnlock.
> These 4 registry keys had a value of 1, which just needed to be
> adjusted to 0. Once I did, the given event sound, such as the windows
> shutdown event, should play. Unfortunately, it doesn't work even if
> all sound events are active and playing system sounds, only when I
> shut down the system and assign a sound to it that shuts down windows
> will not play at all, while I tested it with the keyboard shortcut alt
> + t. What actually happened in Windows 10? Is it true that some
> operating system updates have prevented them from doing so? Then how
> do we blind find that Windows has shut down when it's not playing sound?
> Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.1110

Loy

Startup sound has been working for me for the last few Windows 10 builds,
with or without fast start up enabled.

[...]

It's been a while since I've done this but, yes you can.  The sound files are stored in the file path below:

"C:\Windows\Media"

Copy a sound file to your sound editing program, do your thing and paste the sound file back to the Media folder replacing the original and your volume changes should be applied.
Note: save a copy of the default sound file to be on the safe side, in case something goes wrong.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

Sent: Monday, July 19, 2021 10:36 AM

Is it possible to edit the sound? For example, increase its volume with GoldWave?

At least the good news is that Windows 11 brought back startup sound, although it is softer than in past releases.

I have a Bluetooth speaker that I use with my laptop. For me, the way I know Windows has shut down is my speaker makes a sound indicating it's no longer paired with the PC. If I'm restarting, the sound that lets me know it's paired is heard.

Works for me.

Kevin and Jilly

We have wanted that "windows logoff" sound to work ever since 2015 when windows ten was brand new.
I even received a patch from MS accessability which didn't work probably for the same reason you outline in your message.
Having a "windows shut down" message would let us know when windows was rebooting as well because it'd have to shut down before, etc. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 7/19/2021 7:28 AM, Ján Kulik wrote:
> Hi all.
> In one Czechoslovak discussion forum, one member published an article
> on how to set the sound to play when the user logs out of the system
> or decides to shut down or restart the computer so that the sound
> informs about events.
> In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER AppEvents EventLabels registers, I found the
> following registry keys to edit them: SystemExist, WindowsLogoff,
> WindowsLogon, and WindowsUnlock.
> These 4 registry keys had a value of 1, which just needed to be
> adjusted to 0. Once I did, the given event sound, such as the windows
> shutdown event, should play. Unfortunately, it doesn't work even if
> all sound events are active and playing system sounds, only when I
> shut down the system and assign a sound to it that shuts down windows
> will not play at all, while I tested it with the keyboard shortcut alt
> + t. What actually happened in Windows 10? Is it true that some
> operating system updates have prevented them from doing so? Then how
> do we blind find that Windows has shut down when it's not playing sound?
> Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.1110

No big deal, start up or shutdown, does not bother me at all.

A new p c!  that’s a lot of   refried beans, just to hear a startup sound.

Well holy moly great guacomolie, that's what I've been waiting for since Widows 10 came out, now I'm ready to get me a Widows 11 computer!  LOL  LOL  Sorry  just couldn't resist.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

At least the good news is that Windows 11 brought back startup sound, although it is softer than in past releases.

I have a Bluetooth speaker that I use with my laptop. For me, the way I know Windows has shut down is my speaker makes a sound indicating it's no longer paired with the PC. If I'm restarting, the sound that lets me know it's paired is heard.

Works for me.

Kevin and Jilly

We have wanted that "windows logoff" sound to work ever since 2015 when windows ten was brand new.
I even received a patch from MS accessability which didn't work probably for the same reason you outline in your message.
Having a "windows shut down" message would let us know when windows was rebooting as well because it'd have to shut down before, etc. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 7/19/2021 7:28 AM, Ján Kulik wrote:
> Hi all.
> In one Czechoslovak discussion forum, one member published an article
> on how to set the sound to play when the user logs out of the system
> or decides to shut down or restart the computer so that the sound
> informs about events.
> In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER AppEvents EventLabels registers, I found the
> following registry keys to edit them: SystemExist, WindowsLogoff,
> WindowsLogon, and WindowsUnlock.
> These 4 registry keys had a value of 1, which just needed to be
> adjusted to 0. Once I did, the given event sound, such as the windows
> shutdown event, should play. Unfortunately, it doesn't work even if
> all sound events are active and playing system sounds, only when I
> shut down the system and assign a sound to it that shuts down windows
> will not play at all, while I tested it with the keyboard shortcut alt
> + t. What actually happened in Windows 10? Is it true that some
> operating system updates have prevented them from doing so? Then how
> do we blind find that Windows has shut down when it's not playing sound?
> Windows 10 20H2 (64-bit) build 19042.1110

Sarah k Alawami

I hear a pop in my headphones when windows shuts down and a pop pop when windows restarts. So for me the shutdown sound is not really needed, nice, but not needed.

[...]

great idea, and I am using corded headphones and have been forever, but that is a great way to get around the issue of no windows logoff sound. I've found that, though, my blue tooth device doesn't re-connect unless I also reboot it at about the same time the computer is looking for blue tooth devices so, still I believe the sound would be better as it was in windows 7 and earlier. My wife complained because in her windows 7 computer, porky pig always said his signature line, buddabuddabuddabudda that's all folks," and she misses that till this day, and it's been six years now. :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 7/19/2021 9:45 AM, Kevin Minor wrote:
[...]

I wonder if the sound in windows 11 is the same as it is in windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10? :)

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@calweb.com

On 7/19/2021 9:53 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
[...]

Nope - completely different. In fact, most system sounds were replaced.